Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Amazing Spider-Man 80 REAL preview

Just joking a litlle, Rzerox21xx!

But here it is:

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/11/26/ma...spider-man-80/

BANNED

This is very interesting. I'll be annoyed if there isn't a connection between Pete and Ben's faceless dreams besides coincidence

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    This is very interesting. I'll be annoyed if there isn't a connection between Pete and Ben's faceless dreams besides coincidence
    Do we know if that was Peter dream? It could have been Ben? A bait and switch. Peter was having a nightmare but was THAT nightmare?

Astonishing Member

Wow. This looks very cool. And different. Beautiful art, has to be said. This 2 parter is a good rebound after the mediocre Morbius 2 parter. Always risky giving someone with deep self-worth issues like Ben powerful hallucinogens; that either ends well, or very poorly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Do we know if that was Peter dream? It could have been Ben? A bait and switch. Peter was having a nightmare but was THAT nightmare?
    That's a fair point and theq more I mull over it a good point. Maybe this is conspiracy theory crap but: In 75, 77, 78, and 79 the first narration box of each issue has a Spider icon on it. The icon is identical across all issues. In 75, we know Peter is narrating from when he wakes up. But the narration starts on the previous pages in a box with the same Spidey icon that opens Ben's narrations in the subsequent issues. The narration box on Pete's first page has no spider icon.

76 only has frantic sick Peter narration. The first narration box in the issue has no Spidey icon. Probably nothing

Astonishing Member

That's a fair point and theq more I mull over it a good point. Maybe this is conspiracy theory crap but: In 75, 77, 78, and 79 the first narration box of each issue has a Spider icon on it. The icon is identical across all issues. In 75, we know Peter is narrating from when he wakes up. But the narration starts on the previous pages in a box with the same Spidey icon that opens Ben's narrations in the subsequent issues. The narration box on Pete's first page has no spider icon.

76 only has frantic sick Peter narration. The first narration box in the issue has no Spidey icon. Probably nothing
    Also, when Peter wakes up he doesn't remember what he dreamt about. You have Ben losing some memories and the Kafka (future Queen Goblin, I may add) "memories machine". I wonder if I'm searching for coincidences and clues too hard.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Wow. This looks very cool. And different. Beautiful art, has to be said. This 2 parter is a good rebound after the mediocre Morbius 2 parter. Always risky giving someone with deep self-worth issues like Ben powerful hallucinogens; that either ends well, or very poorly.
    I'm guessing it ends poorly . . . for Kraven.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah it's the beyond corp face.When Beyond takes over a person they get the hole in their face.I'm sure they'll expand on that, maybe it goes back to door z

Astonishing Member

I read it. It's good enough, but I feel there was a missed opportunity to really dig into Ben's psyche. The hallucinatory trip ends pretty soon after the preview pages. There was a lot more that could've been done and the preview showed a lot of promise, so I was disappointed Ben "got better" so quick. Maybe the writer felt constrained by the page count. All in all, this 2-parter was definitely better than Thompson's, but not as good as Wells'. I have .... mixed feelings about the upcoming Miles two-parter because I know that's Saladin Ahmed's pet.

Extraordinary Member

I read it. It's good enough, but I feel there was a missed opportunity to really dig into Ben's psyche. The hallucinatory trip ends pretty soon after the preview pages. There was a lot more that could've been done and the preview showed a lot of promise, so I was disappointed Ben "got better" so quick. Maybe the writer felt constrained by the page count. All in all, this 2-parter was definitely better than Thompson's, but not as good as Wells'. I have .... mixed feelings about the upcoming Miles two-parter because I know that's Saladin Ahmed's pet.
    So what happens after, spoilers please

Also I agree, I hate the "writer's pet" and Bendis had a terrible habit w/ that w/ Kitty,Luke and Miles and now Ahmed w/ Miles.Also Leah w/ Emma, etc.
    I don't mind it if they write them into the story organically and not forcing them in never works.

Ben and Peter should win against Miles, it's not even close.Specially w/ all the gear Ben now has.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    So what happens after, spoilers please

Also I agree, I hate the "writer's pet" and Bendis had a terrible habit w/ that w/ Kitty,Luke and Miles and now Ahmed w/ Miles.Also Leah w/ Emma, etc.
    I don't mind it if they write them into the story organically and not forcing them in never works.

Ben and Peter should win against Miles, it's not even close.Specially w/ all the gear Ben now has.
    It's really not that eventful...
    spoilers:

Ben passes out and gets taken hostage to some artificial island. In the dungeon or whatever, there are some other Beyond employees who give him some pills that flush the toxins out of his system. He takes on Kraven. Kraven mocks him for being a corporate stooge, but Ben defeats him pretty easily. Meanwhile Janine gives Marcus **** for always putting Ben in danger, and Maxine informs them that they're sending a Cease and Desist letter to Miles and if he doesn't comply Ben will go after him. Bonus meanwhile, May asks Doc Ock for help. Like I said, I was hoping they'd dive into Ben's fractured psyche more, but most of that stuff can be found in the preview pages. It's good (no one acts out of character and there's no "jobbing" moments), but nothing great. I'd give it like a 7.5/10. To be honest, I was expecting something cooler, more epic based on the set-up.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

It's really not that eventful...
    spoilers:

Ben passes out and gets taken hostage to some artificial island. In the dungeon or whatever, there are some other Beyond employees who give him some pills that flush the toxins out of his system. He takes on Kraven. Kraven mocks him for being a corporate stooge, but Ben defeats him pretty easily. Meanwhile Janine gives Marcus **** for always putting Ben in danger, and Maxine informs them that they're sending a Cease and Desist letter to Miles and if he doesn't comply Ben will go after him. Bonus meanwhile, May asks Doc Ock for help. Like I said, I was hoping they'd dive into Ben's fractured psyche more, but most of that stuff can be found in the preview pages. It's good (no one acts out of character and there's no "jobbing" moments), but nothing great. I'd give it like a 7.5/10. To be honest, I was expecting something cooler, more epic based on the set-up.
    end of spoilers
    Thanks a lot for the details

Yeah going into deep into character's psyche is one of my favorite types of stories as well.Shame

Incredible Member

No one wrote Ben as good near perfect as Jm DeMatteis did in the 90’s. He handled psychological stories pretty well (he had his faults though.) but lord almighty is this Beyond such terrible filler. This isn’t the Ben I had hoped we would get after Clone Conspiracy. I’m so disgustingly bored of this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    No one wrote Ben as good near perfect as Jm DeMatteis did in the 90’s. He handled psychological stories pretty well (he had his faults though.) but lord almighty is this Beyond such terrible filler. This isn’t the Ben I had hoped we would get after Clone Conspiracy. I’m so disgustingly bored of this.
    Well… there were plenty of bad stories during the OG Clone Saga (us Ben fans just prefer to remember the good ones) and this is still a step up from Clone Conspiracy and PAD’s SS run…. But I can’t say I totally disagree. Hope the momentum picks up a bit. I’m not at all hyped about the Miles 2-parter, but I’ll try and keep an open mind.

Astonishing Member

Is a 2-parter or a done-in-one?