Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Sorry, I don't follow.
    A reviewer said that Marvel made Phastos, the gay black character responsible for the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as usual people who didn't see the movie at the time or simply were acted in bad faith went along with that description of the events in the movie.

The simple truth was that because Phastos inspired human technology and weapon development after seeing the destruction it leads to he felt guilty and became disillusioned by humanity.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    But the str8 sex scene felt entirely organic... right? Not weird and oddly emotionally void and unnecessary AT ALL. ]
    Nah, that was even worse, lol. Marvel movies don’t seem to do romantic relationships very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    An aftermath reaction of this movie thread.

First let me just say with this film, I get and see some of the criticism from blandness of film, bad CGI with the deviants , surface level conflict, some story point that was too hard to believe, false illusion it is not another mcu formula movie. I did not understand why they wore those colourful costumes, they were on earth for so long, they should have just kept their normal cloths. the now famous LGBT kiss felt awkward and was more of trying to make a point than be part of the flow of a story, the actress who played Sersi may need more acting classes. She did not carry this film as the leading female character like Gwenyth Paltrow or Zoe Saldana. In summary, the movie did not have spark and above all too much characters that run on a plot that was not really convincing enough.

I was aware of the rotten tomatoes stuff but did not pay a huge attention to it. End point on this.

But the more important stuff with this movie and dealing with the Aftermath. I hope Marvel forges ahead and make a second film even with all the disappointments and negativity.

I fear Disney wants to go extreme cooperate again (first time was Inhumans). A franchise or tv/film they were pushing and hyping up falls flat and the next thing they do is pretend it never happened. I have heard talks that Eternals may not have a part 2 and I am like why? every marvel film apart from hulk got a part 2, why should this be any difference.

https://www.ign.com/articles/eternal...arvel-producer
    Eternals Sequel Is Not a 'Must-Have,' Says Producer

If Ant Man, Thor 2, Captain Marvel , Spiderman can get sequels , why can't Eternals get a sequel?

it will be a mistake and be more damaging to push the series to the side and start obsessing over X-MEN/F4 (Which by the way, dont even need any more movies). Ignoring Eternals will just make the reception even worse in the long run and ostracize the franchise and the characters.

despite the issues with the film, As a not white male, I do have some genuine empathy for this very diverse cast. they deserved better and need to see their series get more movies even if it is more pure standard comedic MCU formula movies.
    A couple of things...

Gemma Chan (Sersi) also played Minn-Erva in Captain Marvel, and I thought she was fun in that role. I think the reason she felt so flat in Eternals is all down to how the character was written- and that's something that could obviously change in future movies.

It's worth pointing out that Inhumans was a product of Marvel Television under Ike Pearlmutter, NOT Marvel Studios under Feige. In fact, Inhumans seemed to be a passion project for Ike that Feige had no interest in- remember, they had announced and Inhumans movie for Phase III, which ended up being canceled. Also, Ike and Feige did not get along at all, to the point where Feige had a meeting with the brass at Disney where he essentially said- give me full control over movies and tv, or I walk- which they then did. And for the most part, Feige has completely ignored everything that happened on TV up until the Disney+ shows came out, and has only just now started brining back characters from those shows- though we don't know if they are meant to be the same, or a variation of the character (see Kingpin).

For the record, I didn't HATE Eternals. And I do hope they make a sequel. I think by this point, Disney can afford to take risks with these properties- hell, I had no thought that I would like Shang-Chi, and that's ended up being my favorite of these Phase IV films by a mile. But I also won't mind if they continue the Eternals stories in other character's films. As long as they continue the story.

I do agree that if Thor 2 (or the original Thor for that matter) and even Ant Man could get sequels, Eternals should as well. But there was never any doubt that Spider-Man would have more films (it's Spider-Man), and they weren't going to give up on their only female-centric superhero story going forward now that Scarlett has retired from Black Widow. Of course, after seeing Yelena and Kate interact in the Hawkeye series, I do hope we either get a second season with those two working together, or a second Black Widow movie with Yelena co-staring Kate Bishop.

Fantastic 4 is coming- I think that is supposed to be Phase 4, and it's still listed as the director's next project. And I'd dare say we've never really had them done RIGHT. Likewise, while there were a few good Fox X-Men movies, I don't think we ever really got an X-Men movie that feels like the comics. Plus, I want to see an X-Men movie now with a budget and modern special effects.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I mean does anyone wanna address how making your gay hero in the film responsible for the atomic bomb (I think? Or at least tied to it) and then they did absolutely nothing with it? Like man that's actually just more wild than any gay kiss..
    That scene was so dumb, for the Eternals to track properly... they've had to stand aside during centuries of atrocity. The plague. The Holy Wars. All wars, even. The inquisition. The genocide of Native America. Empires! The atomic bomb was such a lazy way to say "NOW, they've gone too far." No, no. Humanity crossed the line lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng before that!

Quote Originally Posted by Iatet View Post
    I enjoyed it. Loved the change of pace, and glad it didn't fully fit the mold. People cry for change, it comes, and they are like, "NAH, make it like the old thing that I complained about."
    People wanting change, and ALL changing therefore being good is not the same thing. Was it different, yes. Was it done well? No. Doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for bolder visions or change, just means lets try to do it better.

Just make the romantic leads Druig and Makkari.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Eh, when it was first talked about online was kind of freaking out about how Marvel's gay representation was so awful.. I mean it is a really weird thing to do.
    Marvel's LGBT representation is awful. They have a long way to go before it's in the positive. One kiss does not a decade of bad erase.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    The simple truth was that because Phastos inspired human technology and weapon development after seeing the destruction it leads to he felt guilty and became disillusioned by humanity.
    By the same logic inspiring human technology invented the gun; and millions more have died through-out history from that than an atomic bomb. Phastos could have stood looking over a medieval army, corpses piled high and known their technology is leading to countless deaths. Nuclear is such a lazy fear to pick on. Whoever wrote the script needs a history lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Nah, that was even worse, lol. Marvel movies don’t seem to do romantic relationships very well.
    I agree it was even worse... yet it's the LGBT kiss that was singled out as 'awkward' in the OP. Worth noting!
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member

Real disappointed Gilgamesh had to die. Of course the Oriental male has to die. At least he could have gotten a kiss from Thena but that would too much progress.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Gemma Chan (Sersi) also played Minn-Erva in Captain Marvel, and I thought she was fun in that role. I think the reason she felt so flat in Eternals is all down to how the character was written- and that's something that could obviously change in future movies.
    I think they really did Sersi badly by toning her down from the comics and making her lose a lot of her personality as a result, although comic Sersi probably would've come off "inappropriate" by Disney standards.

It's why I'm not expecting Emma Frost to show up anytime soon in the X-Men movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think they really did Sersi badly by toning her down from the comics and making her lose a lot of her personality as a result, although comic Sersi probably would've come off "inappropriate" by Disney standards.

It's why I'm not expecting Emma Frost to show up anytime soon in the X-Men movies.

I dont also see Emma showing up either in any marvel movie for the same reason I never felt X-Men fitted the brand of Disney standards as a person who atleast has read X-MEN for decades, however unlike X-Men, I never read Eternals comics, so I cannot say much about the character's lore of Sersi, but if she is supposed to be like Emma Frost then the movie did do her dirty then,

What they need to do in the sequel is give her more of a personality and a presence on screen. She has the same issue as Natalie Portman's Jane did from the first two Thor movies, the one difference is while I felt Portman was mostly phoning in the Jane role both in and out of character. the Sersi actress comes off more committed behind the screen, so it is a shame how the movie presented the character on screen.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-16-2022 at 03:58 PM.

Incredible Member

By the same logic inspiring human technology invented the gun; and millions more have died through-out history from that than an atomic bomb. Phastos could have stood looking over a medieval army, corpses piled high and known their technology is leading to countless deaths. Nuclear is such a lazy fear to pick on. Whoever wrote the script needs a history lesson.
    80,000 people in one shot made possible by technological advancement is in a class by itself. And when you've been around long enough to realize the bombs are only going to get more powerful, you stop and think.
    Sounds perfect.

Marvel's LGBT representation is awful. They have a long way to go before it's in the positive. One kiss does not a decade of bad erase.
    I'd replace Marvel with Disney. I still remember them touting a gay couple in Star Wars- only for it to be a kiss between two women during the celebration scene at the end of Rise of Skywalker, that you couldn't even see unless you were looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

You will never see Hellfire Club Emma Frost in a Disney production. But they can do a tasteful Emma- they did it in the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon, and- god help me- they did it in the Generation-X tv movie.
    generationx-1996-TV-series-9.jpg

You will never see Hellfire Club Emma Frost in a Disney production. But they can do a tasteful Emma- they did it in the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon, and- god help me- they did it in the Generation-X tv movie.
    generationx-1996-TV-series-9.jpg
    Not even just from a costume standpoint, I don't really see them adapting her personality well with the way they generally depict MCU characters. A sexually forward, confident, and stuck-up woman with power that she throws around at her pleasure?

At best they'd include her as a villain and that would be that.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    80,000 people in one shot made possible by technological advancement is in a class by itself. And when you've been around long enough to realize the bombs are only going to get more powerful, you stop and think.
    Again, an Eternal who understands progression and evolution having lived thousands of years... who do that same math on the bullet. When you're around long enough, you know a bullet will get faster, multiple and evolve into bombs. I stand by my point, the atomic bomb was a lazy, historically uninformed way to do that scene. The idea humanity hadn't crossed the line in murdering each other before then is absurd.

I'd replace Marvel with Disney. I still remember them touting a gay couple in Star Wars- only for it to be a kiss between two women during the celebration scene at the end of Rise of Skywalker, that you couldn't even see unless you were looking for it.
    Cutting Valkyrie's romance. Tooting Lando as polyamorous. Lafou in Beauty and the Beast! The latest Luca film. Yeah, Marvel AND Disney suck at LGBT+ representation, that is very true. They have a long way to go, and they are quite far behind.

Incredible Member

I agree it was even worse... yet it's the LGBT kiss that was singled out as 'awkward' in the OP. Worth noting!

As a mixed black gay guy, this will come off as shallow but I will use my standing to make a point. Gay scenes with people with wildly lopsided/mismatched attractiveness are always off-putting to me. It makes me uneasy and I don't want to see it. In fact, there is a general aversion of such scenes with less attractive people generally. Phastos husband was smoking hot compared to the eternal he was married to. This happens a lot when they cast black actors, it's purely about focusing on acting ability or checking off a diversity box while when they are casting other groups, especially white guys, the leads are usually stacked with more attractive picks on top of everything else. You can find counters, but it's there.

Star Wars, John Boyega is not an attractive black guy at all. The guy who was in harry potter and later the recent foundation series, Alfred Enoch, is a much more attractive guy

https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img...Enoch-1895.jpg

But too often, Hollywood which leans towards attractive white male stars just ignores that shallow (and more marketable) selection when it comes to checking off the black diversity casting and we get this:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/wp...ega_h_2014.jpg
    Last edited by Sammael; 01-17-2022 at 12:27 PM.

I enjoyed it. Loved the change of pace, and glad it didn't fully fit the mold. People cry for change, it comes, and they are like, "NAH, make it like the old thing that I complained about."
    SO I get some of the honest critique, and look forward to a Disney+ show, or another less stuffed movie. Just make the romantic leads Druig and Makkari.
    DUnno, it wasn't boring to me, /shrug.
    Marvel has spoiled its fans in two ways, Set high expectations, and not allow people to just enjoy the current movie, without promoting the next.
    I mean, yeah.

I liked the film. But I'm down with the slower, more "cerebral" sci-fi. This was no Dune, but it tried to be cut from the same kind of cloth and I can roll with that. I agree with a lot of the legit criticisms I've seen and I'd want those things to be addressed going forward, but a lot of the negativity I've seen largely seems to stem from this not obviously falling into the expected MCU mold. Which to a large degree it actually did....it just took itself far more seriously while doing so.

At the very least, this is no worse than other Marvel films that have seen better reactions and gotten sequels.

I doubt the Eternals will get swept under the rug like the Inhumans did. Nor do the Eternals deserve that extreme a reaction; it made a profit, mostly earned mixed reviews, and nothing wrong couldn't be fixed next time. I don't know if we'll get a theatrical sequel, but if not then the plot points will be followed up some other way; worked into other movies, or maybe a D+ show if that somehow makes more accounting sense.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    As a mixed black gay guy, this will come off as shallow but I will use my standing to make a point. Gay scenes with people with wildly lopsided/mismatched attractiveness are always off-putting to me. It makes me uneasy and I don't want to see it. In fact, there is a general aversion of such scenes with less attractive people generally. Phastos husband was smoking hot compared to the eternal he was married to. This happens a lot when they cast black actors, it's purely about focusing on acting ability or checking off a diversity box while when they are casting other groups, especially white guys, the leads are usually stacked with more attractive picks on top of everything else. You can find counters, but it's there.
    Maybe it’s just an equal opportunity version of the fat guy/hot girl trope from TV.

It didn’t bother me because their relationship, like all relationships in the movie, was so undeveloped that we have no idea how or why they were together. Everything else was tell not show, so why should Phastos/husband be any different.