Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Started watching it last night on Disney+, made it in for about 15 minutes before checking out and turning it off. Horrible. Unintentionally funny. Horrible special effects on the Deviants. Bunch of people standing around trying to look cool and hilariously failing.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Started watching it last night on Disney+, made it in for about 15 minutes before checking out and turning it off. Horrible. Unintentionally funny. Horrible special effects on the Deviants. Bunch of people standing around trying to look cool and hilariously failing.
    I didn't think the CGI was that bad at least not as bad as lizard and sendman in the new spiderman.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I didn't think the CGI was that bad at least not as bad as lizard and sendman in the new spiderman.
    The Spider-Man film was so good by that time that I didn't care. But in Eternals they opened with this big 2001 narration and spooky, serious overtones about Celestials, followed by a magical ship of Eternals whose only job it seems is to kill Deviants.

Did they think it was such awesome effects that they had to open with it as if to say "omg look at this CGI!!11!!one!" moment? It didn't help that the fisherman who got chomped by the CGI dinosaur casually turns to the camera and says "run" with an expression that has all the emotion of someone saying "oh well, looks like its starfish for dinner again." I was laughing while the Eternals were stabby stabbing right after that, and not because it was intentionally funny.

One of these days I may watch some more. I'm reasonably sure it gets better. But wow what a dumb way to open.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-13-2022 at 03:47 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I think most likely it will get a sequel, there are too many unresolved plot threads that wouldn't seem to fit anywhere else. But i sure hope it will be an improvement over the first film.

I could even see them deciding to wrap up the 1st movie's storyline in an animated movie or something, then just moving the characters they like into other franchises for additional live-action appearances.

Started rewatching eternals the other day, made it about 30-40 minutes before taking a break. My impressions from that rewatch are the deviants are super boring, probably the worst bad guys in any mcu project yet. Even Malekith and Kurse were more interesting. if they were not going to have any personality then they needed to be more visually grotesque (see Carpenter's The Thing or even some of the artwork for Immortal Hulk). They are just bland, bland, bland.

Speaking of bland, what happened to Sersi? I had high hopes for Gemma Chan in the role, but man Sersi was nothing like her comics counterpart and was just uninteresting, despite ostensibly being the main character. The MCU's biggest strength has been giving us characters that the audience immediately latches onto and wants to see more of (see Shang-Chi, Yelena, Kate Bishop) but there's very little of that in this movie, with Kingo and Druig probably being the strongest contenders.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

While I didn't hate it I will say it was not something I will want to watch again. The Deviants were like the Decepticons in the Transformers movies in they were just generic CGI monsters. Even the head Deviant was bland. Honestly the most interesting thing for me was the post credit scenes with Pip and Starfox showing up and the stuff with the Black Knight.

Mighty Member

Even though I liked the movie more than I hated and agree with most of the criticism against it I hope it does get a sequel, but the tone of the franchise will need to be rebooted if it is going to be successful going forward.

The good news is that international audiences seemed to have received the movie better than Americans and since it has been on Disney + it seems to be gaining some fans.

Give Eternals a second film?
    1_8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA.jpg
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    the now famous LGBT kiss felt awkward and was more of trying to make a point than be part of the flow of a story
    But the str8 sex scene felt entirely organic... right? Not weird and oddly emotionally void and unnecessary AT ALL. "I know we've never talked about this human idea of feeeeeeeelings, but I think you're beautiful, female person who I watched bake for one minute to show this is truly eternal love" *CUE SEX SCENE THAT GOES ON WAY TOO LONG* And it's the husbands kissing because they may never see each other again as it's possibly the end of the world that felt awkward.

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 01-15-2022 at 02:56 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I mean does anyone wanna address how making your gay hero in the film responsible for the atomic bomb (I think? Or at least tied to it) and then they did absolutely nothing with it? Like man that's actually just more wild than any gay kiss..

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I mean does anyone wanna address how making your gay hero in the film responsible for the atomic bomb (I think? Or at least tied to it) and then they did absolutely nothing with it? Like man that's actually just more wild than any gay kiss..
    That was just fairly basic “has technology gone too far?” handwringing, he wasn’t in any way responsible for the bomb and the movie didn’t frame him as such

I enjoyed it. Loved the change of pace, and glad it didn't fully fit the mold. People cry for change, it comes, and they are like, "NAH, make it like the old thing that I complained about."
    SO I get some of the honest critique, and look forward to a Disney+ show, or another less stuffed movie. Just make the romantic leads Druig and Makkari.
    DUnno, it wasn't boring to me, /shrug.
    Marvel has spoiled its fans in two ways, Set high expectations, and not allow people to just enjoy the current movie, without promoting the next.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    That was just fairly basic “has technology gone too far?” handwringing, he wasn’t in any way responsible for the bomb and the movie didn’t frame him as such
    Eh, when it was first talked about online was kind of freaking out about how Marvel's gay representation was so awful.. I mean it is a really weird thing to do.

Eh, when it was first talked about online was kind of freaking out about how Marvel's gay representation was so awful.. I mean it is a really weird thing to do.
    I see your problem right there.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Sorry, I don't follow.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I agree that No Way Home CGI was more obvious. However Eternals as a movie had the lifelessness that did affect the look of the cgi, I still cannot put my hands on it totally to form the words but I know how I see it in my head. The lifelessness of the move, made the CGI in the film feel cheap, I say this because I am directly comparing the film to Dune in my head and Dune just had the very very deep rich magnificent look that elevated the VFX of the film, even if Dune cost less money to make than Eternals. That is the way I will put it.

However this is me critiquing Dune and Eternals on an artistic front. Be that as it may and wanting marvel to get more artistic like Dune, even if they never reach that place, Eternals is still better off just sticking to their formula for sequels than getting axed forever with no sequels.

If Eternals gets no sequels, it will be a bigger sore spot on their only one rotten tomatoes movie streak in the coming future.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-16-2022 at 10:39 AM.