Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

So... he just shoots Heroin dust at people?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    So... he just shoots Heroin dust at people?
    Yes, yes he does. The 80's were a weird time.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    You mean you don’t have a vest that shoots heroin from lion eyes…?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

It was the 60s actually

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    It was the 60s actually
    I think big was referring to the technical breakdown of the ‘vest’, which would have come from OHOTMU in the 80s.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I think big was referring to the technical breakdown of the ‘vest’, which would have come from OHOTMU in the 80s.
    Ah, I figured he meant the vest itself which has been a part of Kraven's loadout since his introduction.

You mean you don’t have a vest that shoots heroin from lion eyes…?
    I'm pretty sure they stole my design for this.

This is exactly correct. Ah, the Handbook - that thing that tried to make technical explanations for imaginary superhero hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Ah, I figured he meant the vest itself which has been a part of Kraven's loadout since his introduction.
    Yeah, the vest pretty much IS Kraven.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

I'm pretty sure they stole my design for this.

This is exactly correct. Ah, the Handbook - that thing that tried to make technical explanations for imaginary superhero hardware.

Yeah, the vest pretty much IS Kraven.
    Ah, yes, and which convinced people that DC super strength characters would all destroy Marvel super strength characters because Marvel bricks all max out at little more than lifting 100 tons despite lifting magnitudes more than that in the stories.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Ah, yes, and which convinced people that DC super strength characters would all destroy Marvel super strength characters because Marvel bricks all max out at little more than lifting 100 tons despite lifting magnitudes more than that in the stories.
    Even better: Thor, IIRC, didn't even get "class 100", instead getting 95 tons as his max. Not only did the 80's have him Worf once to freaking Yellowjacket, but he Worfed to the Handbook as well.

I'm reminded of the "Superman doesn't have super strength and invulnerability, he actually has a form of telekinesis and a force field," explination.

Even better: Thor, IIRC, didn't even get "class 100", instead getting 95 tons as his max. Not only did the 80's have him Worf once to freaking Yellowjacket, but he Worfed to the Handbook as well.
    I may not be remembering correctly but I think what they were saying was that, at the very beginning of Marvel, Thor was 95 tons and soon rose to Class 100+, the Hulk was ten tons but more with anger, Ben Grimm was 5 tons and Spider-Man must have been about one ton. I think they were saying that Thor was magnitudes beyond any mortal super-powered being at the start.

Then again, it's so ridiculous. I just read some early Thor stories. Mister Hyde repeatedly is said to have the strength of twelve men. Proceeds to lift a city bus over his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm reminded of the "Superman doesn't have super strength and invulnerability, he actually has a form of telekinesis and a force field," explination.
    I actually thought that was cool at the time. Now, I realize it's just "selective realism" to give the illusion that any of it is believable. Telekinesis, of course, being just a pseudo-science explanation worse than not explaining it at all. Granted, it's a valid tradition since Jerry Siegal did that in the very first Superman story. But they might as well have stuck with his explanation.

I may not be remembering correctly but I think what they were saying was that, at the very beginning of Marvel, Thor was 95 tons and soon rose to Class 100+, the Hulk was ten tons but more with anger, Ben Grimm was 5 tons and Spider-Man must have been about one ton. I think they were saying that Thor was magnitudes beyond any mortal super-powered being at the start.

Then again, it's so ridiculous. I just read some early Thor stories. Mister Hyde repeatedly is said to have the strength of twelve men. Proceeds to lift a city bus over his head.
    Eh, they didn't create the concept of "class 100" until they made the first Handbook, IIRC. Thor's very early "feats" included fighting off galaxy-busters and stuff.

And yeah, comic writers are really bad with speeds and weights. Who can forget the Flash moving at "almost lightspeed" when he empties a city of a half million people as a nuclear bomb is exploding. Uh huh, lightspeed, huh?

I love the odd specificity of the twelve men. I mean it’s ridiculously inaccurate (he’s about Class 50), but it’s so oddly specific as to be charming.