Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Eh, they didn't create the concept of "class 100" until they made the first Handbook, IIRC. Thor's very early "feats" included fighting off galaxy-busters and stuff.

And yeah, comic writers are really bad with speeds and weights. Who can forget the Flash moving at "almost lightspeed" when he empties a city of a half million people as a nuclear bomb is exploding. Uh huh, lightspeed, huh?
    I think this was the first strength chart from Marvel:

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I love the odd specificity of the twelve men. I mean it’s ridiculously inaccurate (he’s about Class 50), but it’s so oddly specific as to be charming.
    Were they, I dunno, angry men? It's not far from the right era...
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Eh, they didn't create the concept of "class 100" until they made the first Handbook, IIRC. Thor's very early "feats" included fighting off galaxy-busters and stuff.

And yeah, comic writers are really bad with speeds and weights. Who can forget the Flash moving at "almost lightspeed" when he empties a city of a half million people as a nuclear bomb is exploding. Uh huh, lightspeed, huh?
    I was saying that I thought I remembered, in an early handbook, that they said what some characters once were at the beginning of Marvel.

As you said, hardly matters. "95 tons" Thor was shattering planetoids (which I take to be about equivalent to a moon) and stalemating a low energy level Galactus. If anything, Thor got less powerful later, relative to someone like Galactus, once they started getting a handle on the power scale. In the earliest days, I think they didn't want to go so far as to say anyone was utterly beyond the gods.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I love the odd specificity of the twelve men. I mean it’s ridiculously inaccurate (he’s about Class 50), but it’s so oddly specific as to be charming.
    In the very next story after those claims (both by Hyde and the narrator) that Hyde has the strength of twelve men, Thor gets his powers cut by 50%. This means a guy who shatters moons with his hammer suddenly can only chip a few bricks and cannot even smash through a brick wall.
    Power with Girl is better.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I was saying that I thought I remembered, in an early handbook, that they said what some characters once were at the beginning of Marvel.

As you said, hardly matters. "95 tons" Thor was shattering planetoids (which I take to be about equivalent to a moon) and stalemating a low energy level Galactus. If anything, Thor got less powerful later, relative to someone like Galactus, once they started getting a handle on the power scale. In the earliest days, I think they didn't want to go so far as to say anyone was utterly beyond the gods.
    Also, Stan Lee specifically and explicitly created Thor to be better and stronger in every way than Superman. He chose mythology, and therefore a "god" because, in his words: "what's more powerful than a SuperMAN? A god."
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan