Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default X-Men Red #14 - Review/Spoilers

An excellent mix of character work and action. Another great issue.

The book opens with Genesis using her powers to reawaken the being that is Arakko. She coaxes its secret sleeping heart, "infusing it with the energy of life, in patterns remembered from the halcyon days of Okkara." This is the first act of war, an act of creation. The first victory, a propaganda victory. No one on the island would ever forget this day when the living island was revived by the mother of Arakko, the Seat of Victory. Trees, fruit, and more are growing again.

The use of various panels depicting different scenes next is effective. Lactuca reaches for a fruit as narration tells us that by teleporting the rebels away to their own corner (last issue) she was countering the Annihilation staff, giving the rebels a fair chance. This will be her last action taken in this war. She will just watch.

In the Commune, stories of past wars are being loudly spoken about around campfires as the coming war is energizing some of the inhabitants. They're starting to itch for war and Craig Marshall moves himself and the children to Port Prometheus. "Weaponless" and "human" are words aimed at his back. A blind artist in the Morrowlands paints a mural depicting Annihilation. A prophecy. Swords start being forged in the Morrowlands.

The air is tense in Port Prometheus, felt by its residents including the Kree/Skrulls and Shi'ar. In the Red Lagoon things are tense as well as Kobak is yelling at Lodus, demanding to know why he asked Lactuca to teleport them away from the Great Ring after Kobak was challenged. Lodus and Storm try to calm him but he's angry and upset. He demands to know why Lodus hates him enough to do such a thing. Lodus finally yells back, "Because I didn't want you to die! I care about you. I care for you... I didn't want you to die like that." It's clear Lodus has love for Kobak. Kobak realizes this and calms down.

"Sam's dead," Roberto says as he enters the room. His clothes are disheveled and there's blood on his face and clothing from resisting Xavier. We now know this is shortly after the Gala. He informs Storm of the murders at the Gala, naming Frenzy, Dazzler, Jubilee, Prodigy... he says everyone at the Gala is dead. He also mentions Jean and says he thinks Cyclops is dead too because the Treehouse is on fire. He thinks Captain America might be dead as well. He wasn't there but he heard about it while he was on earth at a secret meeting. He tells her about having to resist Xavier and almost being forced through a gate.

We get the preview page of Storm realizing this was all orchestrated, the downfall of Krakoa and Arakko at the same time. Xilo says Genesis has Sobunar and that the people will listen to him. If they oppose Genesis it will cause a civil war. He asks Storm what they should do and after a pause as they all look at her she replies, "We go to war."

"The New History of Arakko" parchment paper data page, X weeks into the war. From Arakko Prime Genesis sends out her forces. Ten new towers were created with mutant power and mutant magic, forming her new castle. Many flock to join her as her forces conquer and heold great swaths of lands. Isca, retired in the mountains, has no interest in the war. Whenever it spills into her zone though, she responds, and the war learns its lesson. There's a rumor that mutants of Earth could find sanctuary in her zone, though not confirmed. The Keep watches from above, on Storm's side. She also has Port Prometheus and the Morrowlands but resources are scarce as many exiled Earth mutants end up there.

We then get the other preview pages, "Day seventy of the Genesis War", the battle at the Valley of the Fallen. Nova is leading the charge, calling out war commands and maneuvers. Sunspot joins him in the air and Nova tells him that this site is the choke point of the Western front. If Genesis' horde gets through then they'll have a direct land route to the Morrowlands. Suddenly in the distance they see a new character rocketing at them, Orrdon the Omega Rocket. Genesis' new Seat of Loss. Nova says he'll plow through their forces like a bullet through paper if they don't head him off, but Sunspot notices he's flying over Isca's territory. Orrdon talks some smack as he approaches and says he's "fully invulnerable while blasting." (Jerk.) Then he gets an unexpected arrow up into his mouth and out the top of his head. Isca, holding her bow, watches him continue to rocket out of sight as he's now likely very dead.

Nova and Sunspot then focus on a group of Genesis' fliers coming toward them, Nova saying they can't let them get air superiority or they'll lose the battle.

Nova: So it's all up to us...
    Storm, appearing in the sky : No. You're on Arakko, Richard. Genesis made a challenge to all... and nobody fights alone!

Genesis' forces pull back, sealing the victory of this battle for Storm and her army.

Back at the Red Lagoon, Storm and Ironfire discuss how they haven't seen Apocalypse yet. Jon says he's not the real threat, that it's his children, White Sword, and the 100 they must be prepared for. Storm predicts Genesis' next strike will be a surgical one on Port Prometheus because her ground attacks continue to fail. She also believes Genesis hasn't attacked by sea because perhaps her control over Sobunar is weaker than they think. Storm says when Genesis is ready she'll send everything she has. Someone enters the room and says so be it, that they'll be ready to stomp Genesis.

Off-panel voice: Arakkii have history with siege warfare...

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Oh damn… Fisher King-Xilo merger happened already. Cool.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Awesome issue. It's a testament to Ewing's development of the Arakkii that this issue was as punchy and engaging as it was when most of the cast are new characters. Storm was on top form and had some great moments, her "we go to war" line and her strike against Genesis' army foremost among them. I loved that while her focus is on the war, she was sharp enough to realise that someone is pulling the strings behind the scenes.

Sunspot and Nova working together on the battlefield was great. Sunspot with pretty much anyone in this series delivers a fun dynamic but these two as Storm's lieutenants feels like it has particular promise.

The Fisher King merging with Xilo wasn't unexpected but it was a great ending. Let's see them in action!

Looking forward to the next issue.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

So the reason he looks so beat up is that Sunspot was on Krakoa during the gala??
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 08-16-2023 at 06:55 AM.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    So the reson he looks so beat up is that Sunspot was on Krakoa during the gala??
    He wasn't at the Gala but doesn't say explicitly where he was (which is something that could come back into play, as he says he was on "very secret business"). The state he's in appears to be the result of him resisting Xavier's telepathic order to leave.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Also, like to know if any new characters were named besides that Cannonball wannabe.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"

I'm wondering what's Isca's play here. Maybe it's freedom : if she refuses to take part in the war, she doesn't have to win.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

This was a GOOD Solid Issue. 9/10

-I don't have any words other than this was good. I love how Storm isn't immediately jumping to conclusions about stuff. But is figuring **** out and knowing that Orchis IS the reason Genesis is here. I love how Storm arrives on the Secne and just completely destroys Genesis Army.

-As for Nova it feels like being on Planet Arakko it's like Therapy for him. He keeps thinking he must do everything himself, when he doesn't have too. Storm and other Arakkii keep telling him that.

-Can't wait to see Fisher-Xilo's New Found Powers.

I predict: Storm may end up becoming Queen of Arakko when the War is done.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Fantastic Member

I can't wat for Storm to take on the "Karen of Arakko" and smash her little fly swatter staff into toothpicks right across Karen's face

Xilo-King! The man, the myth, the wormy legend. Love it for them both.

Great issue. Ewing and Cinar are bringing it. Recommended for lapsed and current readers alike; start here.

lmao also love how Ororo is "JEAN's DEAD?? and the others, huh. BUT JEAN?" while Berto does the same but with Sam. Besties. Best friends. Heterosexual pals.

8c8337b8c20408f28c708991b43dd551.jpg

Art was fantastic but Xilo shouldnt have been fully formed Xilo. My only nitpick.

I am so ready for this arc to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Xilo-King! The man, the myth, the wormy legend. Love it for them both.

Great issue. Ewing and Cinar are bringing it. Recommended for lapsed and current readers alike; start here.

lmao also love how Ororo is "JEAN's DEAD?? and the others, huh. BUT JEAN?" while Berto does the same but with Sam. Besties. Best friends. Heterosexual pals.

8c8337b8c20408f28c708991b43dd551.jpg
    Omg LOL. I needed this laugh, thank you.

Karen of Arakko took me out too.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Is there anything left to say about Al Ewing and X-Men Red that hasn't already been said? Ewing gets Ororo’s grace, restraint, vulnerability, resilience, and power like no other, and I cannot wait until she truly humbles Genesis. Also, her subtle focus on Jean’s death got me. Out of the list of names Roberto pronounced dead, including Scott, the first name out of Ororo’s mouth was Jean—twice!—and that feels so right. Again, Ewing knows Ororo through and through. 🥹

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Oh no, is the Fisher King somehow a really old Cable? Maybe it's just a coincidence that they have Xilo limbs and white hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Is there anything left to say about Al Ewing and X-Men Red that hasn't already been said?.
    [/IMG]
    This is exactly how I feel. This feels like the final test for Arrakko as a people and as a culture, and I’m excited to see what comes out of it as Ewing seems to be hinting that we’ll see a big change in this title after this arc.

Also like that the Keep was mentioned as we might see some of our SWORD friends (unfortunately without our girl Frenzy).