Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 79
  1. #31
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    2,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I thought there would be more sleepers as well. I guess Ridley didn't want to go overkill with this and have T'Challa running around to save hundreds of agents. That would have dragged the story down. I think 20-25 maybe would have been an ideal number.
    Another thing is Jhai and Omolola didn't come off as too formidable like drook is kinda saying. I get they're spies but I feel like half a dozen (presumably tech-enhanced) soldiers shouldn't be enough to take down people T'Challa described as Wakanda's best. We're gonna have to see how he personally does against these assassins because maybe they're just that good.

    But idk, if he has 10 spies that can single handedly launch guerrilla campaigns against entire nations and organizations I'm expecting them all to be absurdly dangerous. But on the other hand, you can only spend so many pages on characters fighting that aren't the lead. Especially in the first issue. Hopefully Omolola and the other 8 get stronger showings than Jhai did as the story continues.

    Also do y'all think the fact the assassins could cut Jhai's suit mean they had vibranium? That might hint towards them being connected to Wakanda somehow. I also found the "We live to die" line by that one assassin really interesting. Sounds very terrorist/revolutionary. Even their symbol seems kinda African looking, like Adinkra (a Ghanaian proto-hieroglyphics of sorts).

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I don't think the Omolola pairing would happen, it just wouldn't feel right. Folasade on the other hand would be more interesting precisely because of the conflict. The would constantly clash with each other in the beginning but you know that tension will lead to something else down the road. It's pretty much set up for it.

    I think an Omolola/Akili pairing would be more likely if they stick around enough and become recurring characters.
    Yea a relationship with Folasade would be interesting to see play out, especially because of those political tensions and the potential reaction from others like the public and his family. I kinda get the impression Ramonda wouldn't approve.

    One thing I'm hoping gets addressed is if Wakanda being democratic means they're gonna role back their involvement with the outside world, I'd like to know where Folasade falls on that issue. Yea Omolola/Akili would pretty much be perfect assuming Omolola isn't evil lol.
    Last edited by chief12d; 11-28-2021 at 11:50 AM.

  2. #32
    Ghost Panther Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Corner Of Your Eye
    Posts
    14,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Another thing is Jhai and Omolola didn't come off as too formidable like drook is kinda saying. I get they're spies but I feel like half a dozen (presumably tech-enhanced) soldiers shouldn't be enough to take down people T'Challa described as Wakanda's best. We're gonna have to see how he personally does against these assassins because maybe they're just that good.

    But idk, if he has 10 spies that can single handedly launch guerrilla campaigns against entire nations and organizations I'm expecting them all to be absurdly dangerous. But on the other hand, you can only spend so many pages on characters fighting that aren't the lead. Especially in the first issue. Hopefully Omolola and the other 8 get stronger showings than Jhai did as the story continues.

    Also do y'all think the fact the assassins could cut Jhai's suit mean they had vibranium? That might hint towards them being connected to Wakanda somehow. I also found the "We live to die" line by that one assassin really interesting. Sounds very terrorist/revolutionary. Even their symbol seems kinda African looking, like Adinkra (a Ghanaian proto-hieroglyphics of sorts).



    Yea a relationship with Folasade would be interesting to see play out, especially because of those political tensions and the potential reaction from others like the public and his family. I kinda get the impression Ramonda wouldn't approve.

    One thing I'm hoping gets addressed is if Wakanda being democratic means they're gonna role back their involvement with the outside world, I'd like to know where Folasade falls on that issue. Yea Omolola/Akili would pretty much be perfect assuming Omolola isn't evil lol.
    I was going to say that the assassins could be former Wakandans. This might be the perfect way to re-introduce Ayo and Aneka along with a few other former Hatute Zeraze and Doras.

    They would have to know about Wakandan abilities and tech if they are going to go after spies and they would also have to know that they would eventually have to come face-to-face with T'Challa. So whoever is in charge of this will have to have some serious brass.

    I think the new Wakandan gov't might be pushing for more interactions with other nations, probably faster than T'Challa would want.

  3. #33
    Ultimate Life Form BlackClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Space Colony ARK
    Posts
    3,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I was going to say that the assassins could be former Wakandans. This might be the perfect way to re-introduce Ayo and Aneka along with a few other former Hatute Zeraze and Doras.

    They would have to know about Wakandan abilities and tech if they are going to go after spies and they would also have to know that they would eventually have to come face-to-face with T'Challa. So whoever is in charge of this will have to have some serious brass.

    I think the new Wakandan gov't might be pushing for more interactions with other nations, probably faster than T'Challa would want.
    But aren’t Ayo and Aneka on good terms with T’Challa now? But I think the ringleader of these assassins could either be Hunter or Achebe. The former because he used to be in charge of the HZ and the latter because he took over Wakanda once.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

  4. #34
    Ghost Panther Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Corner Of Your Eye
    Posts
    14,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    But aren’t Ayo and Aneka on good terms with T’Challa now? But I think the ringleader of these assassins could either be Hunter or Achebe. The former because he used to be in charge of the HZ and the latter because he took over Wakanda once.
    He's still one man so they hate his guts.

  5. #35
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    2,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I was going to say that the assassins could be former Wakandans. This might be the perfect way to re-introduce Ayo and Aneka along with a few other former Hatute Zeraze and Doras.

    They would have to know about Wakandan abilities and tech if they are going to go after spies and they would also have to know that they would eventually have to come face-to-face with T'Challa. So whoever is in charge of this will have to have some serious brass.

    I think the new Wakandan gov't might be pushing for more interactions with other nations, probably faster than T'Challa would want.
    Yea the more I think about it, it's likely these assassins are Wakandans of some kind. Maybe they're all former agents. Ayo and Aneka would be hard to justify though because they're solidly back under T'Challa since the Coates run. Or maybe the assassins are from a colony of lost Wakandans somehow. Exile has been a practice in the kingdom since forever, maybe the Hyena Clan weren't the only ones cast out.

    I feel like most Wakandans are still pretty xenophobic. In the decade or so since T'Challa took the throne maybe that's changed a bit (especially among the younger generation). But if given the opportunity, I can't help but feel democracy opens up the way to a lot of T'Challa's cosmopolitan reforms getting reversed. But the idea that Wakanda starts pushing for more interactions with other nations is actually more interesting.

    What if Wakanda starts allying with dictatorships? Or begins throwing its economic weight around like Krakoa? Hickman revealed T'Challa invested billions in emerging economies and bought up a huge chunk of US debt. If Wakanda started playing geopolitics like other nations they could do some real damage and T'Challa would be the one to manage that.

  6. #36
    Ghost Panther Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Corner Of Your Eye
    Posts
    14,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Yea the more I think about it, it's likely these assassins are Wakandans of some kind. Maybe they're all former agents. Ayo and Aneka would be hard to justify though because they're solidly back under T'Challa since the Coates run. Or maybe the assassins are from a colony of lost Wakandans somehow. Exile has been a practice in the kingdom since forever, maybe the Hyena Clan weren't the only ones cast out.

    I feel like most Wakandans are still pretty xenophobic. In the decade or so since T'Challa took the throne maybe that's changed a bit (especially among the younger generation). But if given the opportunity, I can't help but feel democracy opens up the way to a lot of T'Challa's cosmopolitan reforms getting reversed. But the idea that Wakanda starts pushing for more interactions with other nations is actually more interesting.

    What if Wakanda starts allying with dictatorships? Or begins throwing its economic weight around like Krakoa? Hickman revealed T'Challa invested billions in emerging economies and bought up a huge chunk of US debt. If Wakanda started playing geopolitics like other nations they could do some real damage and T'Challa would be the one to manage that.
    That's the thing with the new gov't. Will T'Challa reveal all of his secret dealings with other nations? Who is actually in charge of defending Wakanda, the military and spy agencies? What is the new role of the Doras or will they be integrated into the Wakandan military? I still see a role for the Harute Zeraze although I think they will likely answer to T'Challa and not the new gov't.

    And will other nations see it s an advantage to deal with the new gov't instead of T'Challa. Who controls the resources? This could be another interesting development but I hope that it doesn't lead to too much internal strife in Wakanda. We've had way more than enough of that.

  7. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    29,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Another thing is Jhai and Omolola didn't come off as too formidable like drook is kinda saying. I get they're spies but I feel like half a dozen (presumably tech-enhanced) soldiers shouldn't be enough to take down people T'Challa described as Wakanda's best. We're gonna have to see how he personally does against these assassins because maybe they're just that good.
    Something that fiction tends to forget is that a good spy and a good fighter are not necessarily the same thing. A really good spy should never even be in a fight at all because that means they've been caught.

  8. #38
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    14,683

    Default

    Plus they were caught by surprise, even the best can be taken down when they’re not expecting a fight.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  9. #39
    Ghost Panther Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Corner Of Your Eye
    Posts
    14,295

    Default

    http://https://www.cbr.com/is-marvel...nto-a-villain/

    It won't happen but if he did, watch out!!!

  10. #40
    Amazing Member Hellscream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Vibraxas isn't a mutant, he's a vibranium mutate. Gentle is an X-character first and foremost, his only reason for existing is to shit on Wakanda and Ridley's run is potentially the first time someone's actually having the guy reconcile with his heritage without the X-Office demonizing the BP franchise. We also had Muti introduced in that godawful Shuri book and I admit he was cool.

    That's more than enough imo, I'd much rather see more characters like Vibraxas, who get their powers from the actual BP mythos and who have a very low probability of being turned into rivals/enemies. Nearly every time mutants get involved with BP-related stuff, Wakandans die and/or T'Challa looks stupid. They aren't needed to make the franchise interesting.
    I never understood Gentle back story. If memory serves didnt Wakanda go to war against Atlantis. Decause of a baby being born by an Atlantean and Wakandan.
    I guess its like the ancient sword x-office put in the Black Panther mythos.

  11. #41
    Ghost Panther Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Corner Of Your Eye
    Posts
    14,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellscream View Post
    I never understood Gentle back story. If memory serves didnt Wakanda go to war against Atlantis. Decause of a baby being born by an Atlantean and Wakandan.
    I guess its like the ancient sword x-office put in the Black Panther mythos.
    That was a separate story from Gentile's story.

    Gentile's mother was Wakandan and his father Russian. So using that backdrop along with Wakanda's isolationist and xenophobic history, the X-Office created a Wakandan mutant so that they could milk the drama of mutant persecution while ignoring Wakanda being xenophobic.

    If Gentile appears in a story(mostly by X-writers), it's only to be used as a metaphor. He rarely appears in a BP solo.

  12. #42
    Ghost Panther Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Corner Of Your Eye
    Posts
    14,295

    Default

    Spoiler thread is available.

  13. #43
    On a Mission… DigiCom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,996

    Default

    Yeah, what the Franchise needed was T'Challa being cussed out, beaten up, and made to play chauffer.

    Nah.

  14. #44
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Yeah, what the Franchise needed was T'Challa being cussed out, beaten up, and made to play chauffer.

    Nah.
    Beat up?
    He was cut which is believable and then won the fight..
    The dialogue in the car was typical Tchalla which is a good thing.

  15. #45
    Ultimate Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,039

    Default

    I am surprised how much I am enjoying this book. Issue 2 was really good as well.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

    My creator showcase thread ln cbr. http://https://community.cbr.com/showthread.php?150839-Art-Journey

    Number of People on my ignore list: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •