1 1.89%
  • Jim Gordon

0 0%
  • Other? (please specify)

1 1.89%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Bruce is a bit like Tim here.

In the past, Bruce has been portrayed as an excellent detective. However, while I'm not sure when it started (maybe post-Morrison's run?), Bruce has often been written as rather clueless "detective" in many stories over the past ten years or so (and possibly even longer) who is often two-or-five steps behind when it comes to solving things
    That's definitely accurate. But even in those cases when Bruce is struggling to figure a mystery out, he's always shown to solve the matter before any of his peers(the Bat Fam in this case), thus why I wouldn't say he's overrated in relation to all other Bat detectives. Though if we're talking the DCU and beyond then yes, Bruce could fall into that category

Not sure why we need this thread. The results seem obvious. The under-rated detective poll was valid since only Tim and Bruce are marketed as detectives leading to other batfam having their detective skills down played when they are even recognised at all.

There's only two real choices here Bruce and Tim. the two bats who are held up for their skills as detectives.

Bruce might not be featured in lots of detective focused tales these days but he has the feats to back the claim detective.

Tim Drake doesn't and is hyped. Overly so.
    I voted for Tim.

lol at the votes for Duke, Bruce [what], Selina and Damian. What! Duke is brand new and isn't hyped as a Detective.

Jeez.
    Last edited by dietrich; 11-28-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Not sure why we need this thread. The results seem obvious. The under-rated detective poll was valid since only Tim and Bruce are marketed as detectives leading to other batfam having their detective skills down played when they are even recognised at all.

There's only two real choices here Bruce and Tim. the two bats who are held up for their skills as detectives.

Bruce might not be featured in lots of detective focused tales these days but he has the feats to back the claim detective.

Tim Drake doesn't and is hyped. Overly so.
    I voted for Tim.

lol at the votes for Duke, Bruce [what], Selina and Damian. What! Duke is brand new and isn't hyped as a Detective.

Jeez.
    Duke and Selina I can agree. However, a case can be made for both Damian and Bruce, especially from what I've seen on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    Duke and Selina I can agree. However, a case can be made for both Damian and Bruce, especially from what I've seen on this forum.
    Can it? On This forum I'm always advocating for Damian as a detective since I feel he never gets his dues. A lonely campaign.

Bruce I feel is justified in his status as one of the greatest detectives. He might not have been written as a detective in the past 15 years but he has over 65 years of being portrayed as such so he still qualifies.

Duke and Selina, I'm assuming that those votes are from fans who dislike them because come on they are hardly ever brought up when talking great detectives.

voting for those two is baffling.

Interesting that you use this forum as a decider for who is over rated/underrated. is that what we are supposed to be doing? I thought we were going by canon. Who the stories praise for their detective skills?
    Last edited by dietrich; 11-28-2021 at 07:09 PM.

I voted for Tim. Seeing as Bruce and Tim are consistently lauded as great detectives, they were the most obvious choices. I gave Tim the nod because ever since the New 52, if he merely showed up on panel someone would exclaim how smart he is.

Can it? On This forum I'm always advocating for Damian as a detective since I feel he never gets his dues. A lonely campaign.

Bruce I feel is justified in his status as one of the greatest detectives. He might not have been written as a detective in the past 15 years but he has over 65 years of being portrayed as such so he still qualifies.

Duke and Selina, I'm assuming that those votes are from fans who dislike them because come on they are hardly ever brought up when talking great detectives.

voting for those two is baffling.
    I wasn't referring to you specifically in regards to Damian. As for Damian and Bruce being overrated as detectives, the reasoning isn't the same as Tim. I alluded to that in one of my earlier posts, in the case of Bruce that is. While I don't find either to be overrated personally, I can still definitely see a case being made for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I voted for Tim. Seeing as Bruce and Tim are consistently lauded as great detectives, they were the most obvious choices. I gave Tim the nod because ever since the New 52, if he merely showed up on panel someone would exclaim how smart he is.
    And in most of those cases they're referring to his/(Tim's) savviness when it comes to tec-(machinery, computers, etc.), not his proficiency when it comes to detective work. Two totally different fields of intelligence

Interesting that you use this forum as a decider for who is over rated/underrated. is that what we are supposed to be doing? I thought we were going by canon. Who the stories praise for their detective skills?
    I get the feeling from reading this (and the underrated one) that some people are limiting the discussion to skills in the story and others to character popularity in general.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I get the feeling from reading this (and the underrated one) that some people are limiting the discussion to skills in the story and others to character popularity in general.
    The problems may also involve when people started following the characters and how far back their reading of stories goes.
    After all, as has been pointed out, for the past ten years or so, both Bruce and Tim have often been written in ways that make them seem less-than-competent than they had been portrayed in the years prior to Flashpoint.

And who the hell knows what is "canon" any longer? Supposedly, ALL past stories are "canon", even if they all wind up contradicting each other?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And who the hell knows what is "canon" any longer? Supposedly, ALL past stories are "canon", even if they all wind up contradicting each other?
    Thought the idea was that all stories happened somewhere in the multiverse (e.g. "Pre-Crises" and "Post-Crises" are now parallel universes, not an erased version of the timeline)?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Thought the idea was that all stories happened somewhere in the multiverse (e.g. "Pre-Crises" and "Post-Crises" are now parallel universes, not an erased version of the timeline)?
    But then you start having to narrow down which stories happened to the main DC universe Batman and which ones happened to other Batman from elsewhere in the multiverse, so that's eliminating stories from the main DC universe's Batman's canon. And as far as I was aware, DC hasn't gone that far yet to say "this still happened in our Batman's past / these other stories happened to other, different Batmen from elsewhere in the Multiverse".

Or does anybody know if DC officially has done something like that and shared it with the readers in general?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

it's both. The Crisis did destroy the previous Earths and the people of the past Earths did evolve/reincarnate as new people of new Earths with history, but a version of the past continuity is preserved in the Metaverse as different Earths each time a Crisis happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    it's both. The Crisis did destroy the previous Earths and the people of the past Earths did evolve/reincarnate as new people of new Earths with history, but a version of the past continuity is preserved in the Metaverse as different Earths each time a Crisis happened.
    I thin it's way, way more simple. Each work has their personal continuity, that is chosen by what the writer decides to reference back in their stories and what they choose not to.

Take Get Joker for example. It gets things from 3 Jokers and Under the Hood, both are in slippery continuity. But it's not a story that it's in continuity. It chooses not to. A previous story is in continuity if the writers want to, and it's not when it clearly choses a fact that retcons or contradicts another story. So maybe some writers choose to cement their Batman stories in Zero Year, and some others in Year One.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 12-03-2021 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Did you read his Robin or Red Robin books? He's a great detective. If you were to only go by New 52, I could see, but Tim has a great history of detective stories.
    I've followed batman and Robin since Dick Grayson's days as Robin so yes I've read Tim's Robin series and his Red Robin series. {I'm not a Tim Drake fan but I am a completionist}

He doesn't have enough stories that show displaying extraordinary skills or enough cases where he displays his process/highlights his methodology.
    Sure there are stories of him solving cases, displaying his analytical and deductive skills. All the bats have lots of stories like that [that is their bread and butter]

Tim as the one labelled the detective should have achievements and feats that make his a standout in a family of detectives. That make him extraordinary/remarkable within that group.
    That make him The detective Robin

He doesn't. His stories lack evidence to support that.

For example
    Dick and Bruce just by the share number and difficulty of cases solved stand out in the family.
    Last edited by Fergus; 12-03-2021 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    this is more of less the correct answer as of Death Metal and Doomsday Clock. there is also the fact that, due to the Anti-Crisis (Death Metal) "everything is canon" because were people given access to memories from their past lives/past continuities (which, as established in DC Rebirth, also pulls the elements they remember back into history) and the Hands reset the universe (which resulted in resurrections and probably other ammendments to the multiverse/timeline).

think of it like Crises are Ragnorok, everything gets destroyed and everyone gets reincarnated, only this time they got to remember their past lives; and the Metaverse is like a back-up drive or a safety net for nostalgia.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."