1 1.89%
  • Jim Gordon

0 0%
  • Other? (please specify)

1 1.89%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Overrated Bat-Family Detective [Poll]

someone made (what I think was) a joke about making a most overrated detective poll in the Underrated Batfamily Detective, in bad faith admittedly, but I thought "meh, why not". figured it could be interesting. think of this as a companion poll to the Underrated Detective poll. it's pretty much the same concept as the other tread but flipped; This poll is not asking who's the best detective in the family is - but who in the family is commonly regarded as a more skilled detective than they actually are.

keep in mind, this isn't a bashing poll either. it should go without saying that just by virtue of being in and working with the Batfamily, one would have to be a pretty exceptional crimefighter and detective. Overrated doesn't mean bad or "secretly incompetent", nor should that be the basis for you casting your vote.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-28-2021 at 01:08 PM. Reason: clarity.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

The only ones in the family constantly regarded for the detective abilities specifically are Tim and Bruce. Not sure if there is any other serious options beyond these two tbh.

I know with this I'm probably going get some serious disagreeing words, but I voted for Damian. Why? Because even if he's a great crime fighter (he is), and he's really skilled (he is), he's been 11 or 12 most of his time in the comics, and most of the time, his great feats show that he's a skilled, resourcefull, cunning fighter. Not a great detective, just an OK detective. Which isn't bad, but often the narrative asumes that he's also this great inquisitive mind (he's paranoid and tends to always think the worst of every situation he's in, which is not the same, imho. He can also be very observant and pensive, which is a good starting place). Looking at his actions, I don't think it's an accurate assesment to tell that he's also an oustanding detective. He's good, he's Robin afterall. All of them are skilled enough detectives, they have to be. But not necessary that has to be their strongest point and the story doesn't need to insist in that. And it's ok: he was mostly trained as an strategist and a fighter, an assasin. Not a detective. And he's barely a teen and obviously lacks some social, emotional, etc skills and understanding about common people or people in general (because he's young and grew up in a closed society). But he's great, also has a lot of potential.

Tim or Bruce are probably going to win this poll, but I can point in them actual detective acchievements in their long story inside the pages. So, I think that's fair, to tell that they're great detectives. Same goes for Dick or Barbara, for example, two other characters that usually play in their stories that they are outstanding detectives. They are: they worked cases based on evidence, logic and understanding of the victims and the perps. They trained for it especifically, and they have the experience and understanding of adults to back that training and give them context.

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong: I haven't read everything in the batfam corner of the DCU, so I can be wrong. But this is how I see the picture from here.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 11-28-2021 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I know with this I'm probably going get some serious disagreeing words, but I voted for Damian. Why? Because even if he's a great crime fighter (he is), and he's really skilled (he is), he's been 11 or 12 most of his time in the comics, and most of the time, his great feats show that he's a skilled, resourcefull, cunning fighter. Not a great detective, just an OK detective. Which isn't bad, but often the narrative asumes that he's also this great inquisitive mind (he's paranoid and tends to always think the worst of every situation he's in, which is not the same, imho. He can also be very observant and pensive, which is a good starting place). Looking at his actions, I don't think it's an accurate assesment to tell that he's also an oustanding detective. He's good, he's Robin afterall. All of them are skilled enough detectives, they have to be. But not necessary that has to be their strongest point and the story doesn't need to insist in that. And it's ok: he was mostly trained as an strategist and a fighter, an assasin. Not a detective. And he's barely a teen and obviously lacks some social, emotional, etc skills and understanding about common people or people in general (because he's young and grew up in a closed society). But he's great, also has a lot of potential.

Tim or Bruce are probably going to win this poll, but I can point in them actual detective acchievements in their long story inside the pages. So, I think that's fair, to tell that they're great detectives. Same goes for Dick or Barbara, for example, two other characters that usually play in their stories that they are outstanding detectives. They are: they worked cases based on evidence, logic and understanding of the victims and the perps. They trained for it especifically, and they have the experience and understanding of adults to back that training and give them context.

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong: I haven't read everything in the batfam corner of the DCU, so I can be wrong. But this is how I see the picture from here.
    So many words to justify your vote.
    Just vote mate.

If you really believe all these words then i can confidently say that you don't have good knowledge of these characters.

Tim has a lot of stories where he is a detective!? Are you high?

Telling us a character is a great detective and showing us aren't the same. the only Bats that have the stories to support the label great detective are Bruce and Dick.
    Last edited by Fergus; 11-28-2021 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Just vote mate.

If you really believe all these words then i can confidently say that you don't have good knowledge of these characters.

Telling us a character is a great detective and showing us aren't the same. the only Bats that have the stories to support the label great detective are Bruce and Dick.
    I'm not justifying my vote. I'm reasoning my vote, which is a thing I usually do when I vote. I could vote and not say a thing, same as many do, and let it there. But I like to reasoning why I do vote what I vote. This is going to be a very polemical poll, and my vote is going to be really polemical (or at least, in the minority). I think it's logical to explain my reasoning, given both facts.

The Red Robin run was a run around a mystery he tried to uncover by investigating. And his Robin run is full of cases where he's investigating stuff. So no, I'm not high. Maybe you haven't read said runs. Edit: Or you don't remember then. Sure, they are also teen drama, and adventure. But there's investigations and observations and thoughtful moments and conclusions. I'm a sucker for detective stories, so I appreciate when I find one that shows some detectiving.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 11-28-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Just vote mate.

Incredibly rude and ignorant response.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Incredibly rude and ignorant response.
    Agreed 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    The only ones in the family constantly regarded for the detective abilities specifically are Tim and Bruce. Not sure if there is any other serious options beyond these two tbh.
    Exactly. Those two are the only ones that get the tag detective so i went for Tim since Bruce has the stories while Tim we are told he is.

The rest of the bats aren't really called seen as detectives or celebrated as detectives.

Exactly. Those two are the only ones that get the tag detective so i went for Tim since Bruce has the stories while Tim we are told he is.

The rest of the bats aren't really called seen as detectives or celebrated as detectives.
    Did you read his Robin or Red Robin books? He's a great detective. If you were to only go by New 52, I could see, but Tim has a great history of detective stories.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Not sure why we need this thread. The results seem obvious. The under-rated detective poll was valid since only Tim and Bruce are marketed as detectives leading to other batfam having their detective skills down played when they are even recognised at all.

There's only two real choices here Bruce and Tim. the two bats who are held up for their skills as detectives.

Bruce might not be featured in lots of detective focused tales these days but he has the feats to back the claim detective.

Tim Drake doesn't and is hyped. Overly so.
    I voted for Tim.

lol at the votes for Duke, Bruce [what], Selina and Damian. What! Duke is brand new and isn't hyped as a Detective.

Jeez.
    Last edited by dietrich; 11-28-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Not sure why we need this thread. The results seem obvious. The under-rated detective poll was valid since only Tim and Bruce are marketed as detectives leading to other batfam having their detective skills down played when they are even recognised at all.

There's only two real choices here Bruce and Tim. the two bats who are held up for their skills as detectives.

Bruce might not be featured in lots of detective focused tales these days but he has the feats to back the claim detective.

Tim Drake doesn't and is hyped. Overly so.
    I voted for Tim.

lol at the votes for Duke, Bruce [what], Selina and Damian. What! Duke is brand new and isn't hyped as a Detective.

Jeez.
    Duke and Selina I can agree. However, a case can be made for both Damian and Bruce, especially from what I've seen on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Did you read his Robin or Red Robin books? He's a great detective. If you were to only go by New 52, I could see, but Tim has a great history of detective stories.
    I've followed batman and Robin since Dick Grayson's days as Robin so yes I've read Tim's Robin series and his Red Robin series. {I'm not a Tim Drake fan but I am a completionist}

He doesn't have enough stories that show displaying extraordinary skills or enough cases where he displays his process/highlights his methodology.
    Sure there are stories of him solving cases, displaying his analytical and deductive skills. All the bats have lots of stories like that [that is their bread and butter]

Tim as the one labelled the detective should have achievements and feats that make his a standout in a family of detectives. That make him extraordinary/remarkable within that group.
    That make him The detective Robin

He doesn't. His stories lack evidence to support that.

For example
    Dick and Bruce just by the share number and difficulty of cases solved stand out in the family.
    Last edited by Fergus; 12-03-2021 at 03:23 PM.

Bruce Wayne is not only the most over-rated detective but the most over-rated hero in the DCU.

By the way, with 47 people having voted so far,
    * Red Robin (Tim Drake) = 28 votes
    * Batman (Bruce Wayne) = 6 votes
    * Robin (Damian Wayne) = 4 votes

Everyone else on the poll has only two votes or less.
    The females currently have either one vote or no votes . . .

NOTE: This thread/poll was started in November 2021.
    --------------------------

With 51 people having voted so far,
    * Red Robin (Tim Drake) = 28 votes
    * Batman (Bruce Wayne) = 6 votes
    * Robin (Damian Wayne) = 6 votes
    * Nightwing (Dick Grayson) = 3 votes

Everyone else on the poll has only two votes or less.
    The females still currently have either one vote or no votes . . .