Page 41 of 116 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Thompson View Post
    So...because I see "Marvel editorial" being thrown under the bus, I'm gonna step in here...

It's possible that editorial MIGHT have dictated that I use the darker "status quo" Ali. But they didn't have that chance/have to, because that's where I wanted to start with her. I know there are plenty of takes that we as readers/fans/creators don't like and would love to forget ever happened to our characters (I definitely have a list somewhere!) but as a writer my first instinct is definitely to NOT throw out what came before if I can help it. If I can do it, I'd much rather work within the constraints of what came before and use that as a leaping off point to tell a good story. Life is change, sometimes painful and ugly, sometimes beautiful and joyous, but always change. And from a storytelling perspective Ali being in this place gives us a really great opportunity to dig into her and tell some really emotionally rich stories.

So whether you loved or hated the Mystique/SHIELD/Ali/etc stuff, as a writer, I found it to be a very rich place to start off with Ali. She's not herself right now and she wants to get back to being that person but she is also coming to realize that maybe she can never be EXACTLY that person ever again after what she's been through. She knows that this current version of herself is too dark/too angry/too consumed and trying to live on rage gets old very fast. She knows that she's too far away from who she was and who she wants to be and so she begins to work on that...to find out who she is and should be NOW underneath the rage that will fade. And so that's some powerful stuff to work with - it gives her a rich interior dilemma that I think will be really wonderful for us to explore.

So all that to say, this was MY decision of where to start with Ali, so if you're going to hate anyone, hate me. Ben definitely had some very light sort of "classic Dazzler" designs - and because Ben is an incredible artist, they were indeed incredible...but they were wrong for where we were starting emotionally with Ali here in these early arcs. And that was 100% my call.

I also have to tell you guys, and this will disappoint you I'm sure since people seem to love "Disco Dazzler" as a look, but I'm not a fan of that look for a woman living in 2016, especially someone modern and fashionable like Ali. It's a truly dated look to me that feels like a costume (and not a superhero costume unfortunately). It feels like something you would wear to a Halloween party...something that's almost a fun joke...and Ali should never be a joke, fun or otherwise. Ben did some fantastic designs that, as I said, presented a lighter more classic Dazzler and did NOT feel like a joke or a "Halloween Costume" and so I absolutely think there's a way to riff on that look and make it modern and fun and super cool...but that's just not where Ali is right now, or, to be honest, where she's headed under my watch.

But don't give up hope! I'm sure I will not be in charge of her forever and then you guys can come in here and be excited for whoever the new person is and hope that THEY will bring back Disco Dazzler!

Hold fast to hope! Anything could happen...I could be fired any minute!
    No one is being thrown under a bus as there's no friendly relationship being sacrificed here for personal gain. I also haven't seen any hate directed at anyone by anyone. It is possible to like a thing without enjoying every part of the thing. I find most intelligent adults are good with separation that way.

The overarching problem that many fans have discussed ad nauseam but I seem to be doing a piss poor job of expressing is about decades of Dazzler's dismissal. A lot of rumor and conjecture, sure, but a lot in actual interviews, message boards and on Twitter; wanting to kill her off because she is irrelevant, numerous jokes about not taking her seriously from EDITORIAL, writers wanting to use her but being told they couldn't, writers who've commandeered her only to admit in a text of not having a plan... That's throwing someone under the bus, but I never reveal my sources.

So, when we see drastic physical makeovers it looks to many that this says “Dazzler is wrong, but we'll fix her.” Something that often negates your belief in not ignoring what came before (a quality I admire and subscribe to). This is so SO much more about the character than it is fashion and having already expressed being open-minded and excited (slightly less so now) about what's to come should've emphasized that.

Best of luck with the book.

Spectacular Member Kelly Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightengale View Post
    No one is being thrown under a bus as there's no friendly relationship being sacrificed here for personal gain. I also haven't seen any hate directed at anyone by anyone. It is possible to like a thing without enjoying every part of the thing. I find most intelligent adults are good with separation that way.

The overarching problem that many fans have discussed ad nauseam but I seem to be doing a piss poor job of expressing is about decades of Dazzler's dismissal. A lot of rumor and conjecture, sure, but a lot in actual interviews, message boards and on Twitter; wanting to kill her off because she is irrelevant, numerous jokes about not taking her seriously from EDITORIAL, writers wanting to use her but being told they couldn't, writers who've commandeered her only to admit in a text of not having a plan... That's throwing someone under the bus, but I never reveal my sources.

So, when we see drastic physical makeovers it looks to many that this says “Dazzler is wrong, but we'll fix her.” Something that often negates your belief in not ignoring what came before (a quality I admire and subscribe to). This is so SO much more about the character than it is fashion and having already expressed being open-minded and excited (slightly less so now) about what's to come should've emphasized that.

Best of luck with the book.
    Yeah, well, I mean I was in no way talking specifically TO YOU as several people (including Ben) were mentioning decrees coming from somewhere else design/story-wise and so I was just trying to give some clarity that that was NOT editorial and it was me.

I also am not using "throw under the bus" in the one super narrow definition you seem intent on, but rather the general idea of others being blamed for something they had no involvement in, but perhaps it was too harsh a phrase. I simply saw some rumblings about mandates/editorial and so felt it was my responsibility to step in and make sure that the blame (if there is or will be any) is correctly assigned to me alone. This direction was nobody's mandate but mine. End of story.

Still, as is abundantly clear now, I should not have joined in on a fan board/discussion board. I thought I could add some further clarity to what's going on with Alison right now/where I am coming from in writing her/where we are headed that you guys would enjoy. My mistake. Later.

Yeah, well, I mean I was in no way talking specifically TO YOU as several people (including Ben) were mentioning decrees coming from somewhere else design/story-wise and so I was just trying to give some clarity that that was NOT editorial and it was me.

I also am not using "throw under the bus" in the one super narrow definition you seem intent on, but rather the general idea of others being blamed for something they had no involvement in, but perhaps it was too harsh a phrase. I simply saw some rumblings about mandates/editorial and so felt it was my responsibility to step in and make sure that the blame (if there is or will be any) is correctly assigned to me alone. This direction was nobody's mandate but mine. End of story.

Still, as is abundantly clear now, I should not have joined in on a fan board/discussion board. I thought I could add some further clarity to what's going on with Alison right now/where I am coming from in writing her/where we are headed that you guys would enjoy. My mistake. Later.
    Of course you weren't speaking directly toward me even though your talking points were specifically aimed at what I said. Okay. Sorry my "super narrow" definition of the idiom didn't work for you, but yours doesn't either. No one is being blamed for something they didn't do. So you're going to leave the board because of what? Multiple people attacking you in some manner? Or because one person isn't fawning over every single thing you touch EVEN THOUGH said person previously expressed excitement to what were you bringing to the table? FFS. I tried explaining myself so as to limit a ridiculous scenario like this. It was about concerns for the character, but you insisted on throwing it back to the disco outfit with sarcasm...

But don't give up hope! I'm sure I will not be in charge of her forever and then you guys can come in here and be excited for whoever the new person is and hope that THEY will bring back Disco Dazzler!

Hold fast to hope! Anything could happen...I could be fired any minute!
    Nothing anyone said indicated wanting this. I initially saw this as defensive but thought perhaps it could've been a playful jibe I read wrong which is why I didn't address it. Your last post definitely confirmed that initial feeling. It's unfortunate that you don't feel comfortable here, despite receiving plenty of praise and zero hostility, but you have to do you. I stand by every single thing I said.

And I still mean it, best of luck on the book.

Hey! I want to say first that I'm not exactly the biggest Dazzler fan, but I still like her and expect to see more of her on A-Force, and I pretty much like her look and I do think is some nice outfit and everything. To be honest, I don't even hate so much the previous Dazzler design, except for the dress that is kinda...err.
    But Kelly, I think you overreacted a bit! No one is bashing on you or Ben or anything like that, sometimes people have some strong opinions about how their favorite characters should be, look, and act like, but I don't think anyone is like offended about Dazzler on A-Force or anything like that, I'm actually more interested on her now than I ever was because I liked the book so far and I think the credit goes to you also since you are/were co-writing.
    I think no one here or even elsewere is hoping you get fired or anything like that! Let's just wait and see, I think is already cool that you guys are showing up here and talking to the fans

Earth's Mightiest Hero RafDanvers's Avatar

Not a big Dazzler fan myself too but i think shes cool though. People are never satisfied. If your hero doesnt have any kind of push or change, they complain, saying they're forgotten. If they have awesome costume changes, updates, hair and push, people complain saying they like the former or very old version more. C'mon, things get modern, updated. Give it a go, a try! Thats life! Dazzler is among the most popular heroines in A-Force and is being pushed! Love the new look. Looking foward to the book, Kelly!

by the way, shrs here, withthe new look
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ0J...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by RafDanvers; 01-31-2016 at 09:07 PM.
    My heroines: Captain Marvel Psylocke

my pull list: The Mighty Captain Marvel - Ultimates 2 - Uncanny X-Men *I run @captmarvelnews and @psylockenews on Twitter! Join us!

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelGuy View Post
    If they have awesome costume changes, updates, hair and push, people complain saying they like the former or very old version more.
    But I don't really see anyone here holding a torch for the disco costume to make a comeback. Even Lightengale explained on the previous page that he/she would prefer the classic costume if the only alternative was having Dazzler wear unflattering costumes that deprive everything intrinsic about the character, like a couple of past iterations have. "Fans whining for the disco costume" is an incredibly inaccurate and oversimplified interpretation of the discussion folks were having. In fact, everyone has just been praising the new costume by Ben C.

And really, it is sad to see the discussion escalate like this for no real reason. I know that creators have to go through a lot of bs thanks to ugly fan behavior online, but I genuinely thought everyone was having a pretty articulate and interesting discussion here, being more or less on the same page and not intending to offend anyone. It is clear that everyone involved here, on the professional side and on the fan side, are passionate about the character and only wish the best for her on the creative side of things.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 01-31-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    And really, it is sad to see the discussion escalate like this for no real reason. I know that creators have to go through a lot of bs thanks to ugly fan behavior online, but I genuinely thought everyone was having a pretty articulate and interesting discussion here, being more or less on the same page and not intending to offend anyone. It is clear that everyone involved here, on the professional side and on the fan side, are passionate about the character and only wish the best for her on the creative side of things.
    Yeah I agree with that, this whole thing was totally unnecessary

The PICKERY is of the NIT variety round these parts.

OF COURSE the creative team should be following up on where Ali left off. Its respectful and praise worthy of ANY writer to acknowledge continuity.

I wanna see progress -- not dismissal or carpet sweeping.

Dazzler should not be defined by her glitterati roller days either. She, like any sensible woman -- music industry immersed or otherwise -- should evolve with the times.

Farah hair, mullets, etc = So over.

Jamie McKelvie's Marvel's Women of Power variant for A-Force #3:

BANNED

Wow, this thread was an interesting read. I'm dropping A-Force now. I like the art, and I'm glad Dazzler is out of that horrendous trash bag outfit. I even like that the plot for Ali is going to be around her recovering from Bendis' story. In all honesty, he should have finished it. But as we all know, Marvel saw it better for Uncanny X-Men to just not have ANY issues for months on end instead of Bendis having to actually make his story work.

BUT the reaction of the writer here was WAY defensive, rude and dismissive. I won't support that kind of attitude.
    Last edited by Complexed; 02-03-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Complexed View Post
    Wow, this thread was an interesting read. I'm dropping A-Force now. I like the art, and I'm glad Dazzler is out of that horrendous trash bag outfit. I even like that the plot for Ali is going to be around her recovering from Bendis plot. In all honesty, he should have finished it. But as we all saw, Marvel saw it better for Uncann X-Men to justnot have ANY issues for months on end instead of Bendis having to actually make his story work.

BUT the reaction of the writer here was WAY defensive, rude and dismissive. I won't support that kind of attitude.
    We must'a read the wrong menu gurrrrrrl.
    She came in and clarified, from what I read. Added a touch of humor as well. Good on her too -- not abandoning continuity in favor of whatever unexplained fancy she might have concocted in that creative head of hers.

Good on ya, KT!

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

one of the most important lessons i thought we all learned as Dazzler fans was that "it doesn't matter what you look like, it matters what you do", amirite? I mean, i love me some flashy, ultra feminine, stand out-from-the-rest-of-the-Marvel-punchathon-brunettes, but I also respect the character's ever evolving look book history. What makes her stand out is that she's a character that is so intrinsically linked to her image. Image plays a HUGE deal in the overall Dazzler mythos, whether she's embracing, rejecting, or examining hers. In her books, it was common for her to like get in this huge scrape or dangerous sitch, and then she would look at herself in the mirror and recenter. She had to look at herself in the eye and make sure she was good with herself. Some people saw that as vanity but a little vanity saved Ali's life more than once. That's why Bendis' issue with her looking in the mirror, looking back at her mistakes and breaking ultimately was one of the truest themes he adhered to in relation to the character during his run on Uncanny.

I personally don't care what she looks like as long as her signature personality truly shines through. That's what makes her compelling. Yes, i am THIRSTY for some actual focus on the character concerning her emotional growth, her history, her voice and motivations, I LOVE that K. Thompson and BenBear are going to actually take the steps to flesh out the character in a way we haven't seen before because our girl DESERVES IT! HOW MANY series have we seen come and go over the years that have bitten off of the original Dazzler series in theme and format over the years? How many Marvel books are out RIGHT NOW with a light hearted lady lead making jokes, cracking wise, hair flipping gloriously in the face of certain peril? I'm sorry but ALI paved the way for characters like SILK, SPIDER GWEN, MS. MARVEL, the new run of CAP MARVEL, new run of HELLCAT, et al ad nauseum and it's nice that Marvel's original homegirl, the one with smeared lipstick after her show at CBGB's. told Cyclops to get bent when he wanted her to give up her career, is getting some well deserved spotlight.

Please god, let that Ali show up in the books. The spitfire, rock em sock em sass fest that isn't afraid to mix it up with anyone (even Dr. Doom), and who drips molten "cool" from her pores. #gag

Also, it should be noted, Alison and Jennifer actually do have history working together more than once. For instance, Jennifer was the one who kidnapped Ali in a Mac truck during one of her shulkie rages, and gave her the advice to basically give the world the finger, go out and live your life how you wanna live it, don't let NO MAN hold you down, and that being free is lonely sometimes but it's worth it. One of my fave issues of Dazzler's o.g. series.
    Last edited by ohsnapulon5000; 02-03-2016 at 01:17 PM.

oh my god. re reading earlier posts, it is so evident that the Dazzler fanbase has been hurt before. lol. I think more passionate fans understand that this character was a punching bag for a lot of writers simply because she was a Frank Springer creation, and there was a time when that guy reeeeeaaaallly wasn't liked at Marvel so they punished his character instead.

Ever since then, when a new creative team takes on the character, there's a reactionary unease because a LOT of mismanagement has happened at the hands of careless editorial. I think we just want homegirl to actually be taken seriously by people who care to, and the new team does, so it's rather flabbergasting, admittedly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    We must'a read the wrong menu gurrrrrrl.
    She came in and clarified, from what I read. Added a touch of humor as well. Good on her too -- not abandoning continuity in favor of whatever unexplained fancy she might have concocted in that creative head of hers.

Good on ya, KT!
    I'm not a "gurl". and I read what she said very clearly. We just have a difference of opinion. Maybe you should stop commenting on everyone who doesn't praise Marvel 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    Ever since then, when a new creative team takes on the character, there's a reactionary unease because a LOT of mismanagement has happened at the hands of careless editorial. I think we just want homegirl to actually be taken seriously by people who care to, and the new team does, so it's rather flabbergasting, admittedly.
    As I said above, I love the direction, like the new costume that's coming and appreciate the creatives finishing Bendis story for him. I don't appreciate the writer's attitude in this thread though. It was very UNDazzler in my opinion. And No Fokken,I don't care if you agree.
    Last edited by Complexed; 02-03-2016 at 01:39 PM.