Page 53 of 116 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Isn't the punk look a little too Lila Chaney, though?

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    It could possibly be considered to be too similar to Lila Chaney, IF Lila Chaney was ever around in any comics.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    It could possibly be considered to be too similar to Lila Chaney, IF Lila Chaney was ever around in any comics.
    She was in Captain Marvel last year. She also pulls off the punk aesthetic better and with ease. Bendis Punk Dazzler is a lot like Bald Britney.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 05-25-2016 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Well, there was precedent for them being lookalikes in the issue of New Mutants where Lila sends Allison as a decoy decked out in rockstar regalia to meet Sam for a "meet my family" date to see if he would go thru with it regardless of her appearance.
    Perhaps the ladies are overdue for a jam session Arcadia-style.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    She was in Captain Marvel last year. She also pulls off the punk aesthetic better and with ease. Bendis Punk Dazzler is a lot like Bald Britney.
    Dazz has more sartorial glam rock disco fringe going on than Lila.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I only care about her having an iconic look again. Her current lookbis a huge step in the right direction because it's modern and kind of timeless, it's clearly the duds of a rock musician, it incorporates her bling aspects from her original look etc and she just looks cool.

At the end of the day, I think that's what most Dazzlerbfans want deep down: a return to an instantly recognizable look for the character that holds up against other iconic Marvel hero costumes and embraces her as part of the pantheon where she belongs.
    The reason it's such an issue for DAZZLER fans us because she is THE most meta character Marvel has ever created. Comic books are a visual medium where as we've learned, a good character design tells you all you need to know about them without even reading about them. Dazzler IS comics. She is the embodiment of the music in her heart. Everything about her is a larger story about IMAGE and how the world perceives who you are in what you do and how you present yourself. So yeah, fans won't settle for a giant star crotch on her x costume, or a lazy redesign that just slaps a starburst on some rags. People I guess hearken back to the silver jumpsuit, silly as it sometimes seems because at least it was ballsy and in your face, and unapologetically girly, and had everything to do with the genre of music it represented which is what DAZZLER is supposed to inspire on her good days. Even when she was a pic tailed wearing kid in her magenta jumper and chanklas, she transmitted that spirit.

Bendis and Anka's redesign would have transmitted that spirit as well but on both ends the substance behind it just fell flat. The character mussed herself up and then just sat around doing NOTHING when a punk rock DAZZLER, true to character would have been out there bloodying up her knuckles on bad guys, making a "mystique gonna get that ass beat" Spotify playlist, and shrieking at Cyclops to get his crap together. That's why it was a fail.

Anyways, benc had better not be leaving this book so some cheesecake artist can take over. That will be the death knell for A force. K Thompson is amazing but cheesecake kills all female led cape books these days no matter the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Well, there was precedent for them being lookalikes in the issue of New Mutants where Lila sends Allison as a decoy decked out in rockstar regalia to meet Sam for a "meet my family" date to see if he would go thru with it regardless of her appearance.
    Perhaps the ladies are overdue for a jam session Arcadia-style.

God yes, can we finally distinguish these two by one day having Alison embrace her inevitable glamrock incarnation?

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Ideally she should. But the Anka design was more generic grudge punk (only glam element being the star eye make-up) and as ohsnapulon mentioned, Bendis watered down her "vengeance" and personality to such a degree that it seemed incredibly ill-fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    Anyways, benc had better not be leaving this book so some cheesecake artist can take over. That will be the death knell for A force. K Thompson is amazing but cheesecake kills all female led cape books these days no matter the writer.
    Yeah, I'm nervous about that too.

BANNED

Happy Birthday Barry Windsor-Smith!!!

Uncanny X-Men #214
    "With Malice Toward All"
    February 1987

In a Nutshell
    Dazzler joins the X-Men.

Writer: Chris Claremont
    Penciler: Barry Windsor-Smith
    Inker: Bob Wiacek
    Letterer: Tom Orzechowski
    Colorist: Glynis Oliver
    Editor: Ann Nocenti
    Editor-in-Chief: Jim Shooter

Plot
    In Denver, Dazzler, performing at a concert as part of Lila Cheney's band, is goaded by Malice into taking the spotlight from Lila, exposing herself as a mutant in the process. After the concert, Lila chastises her, and Dazzler, fully possessed by Malice, quits the band. In New York, Storm, Rogue and Psylocke declare Cerebro damaged beyond their ability to repair it as Wolverine and Callisto spar in the Danger Room, when they receive a call from Lila, concerned about Dazzler. The X-Men track her to a nightclub in Dallas where she performs with abandon, making no secret of her mutant abilities.

When she spots the X-Men, she attacks, and when the X-Men overpower her, Malice abandons Dazzler and takes control first of Wolverine and then Rogue. The possessed Rogue blasts out of the club, attacking the police gathered outside. The X-Men attack Rogue, hoping to draw Malice out so Psylocke can attack her directly. When Dazzler manages to temporarily overpower Rogue's senses, Malice flees her body, but Psylocke is unable to prevent her from taking control of Storm. However, Malice is empowered by the suborned darkness in each of her victim's minds; as Storm long ago made peace with that side of herself, she is able to overpower Malice. Forcibly ripped from Storm's body, Malice flees, finding refuge in the body of a nearby police officer. As the X-Men leave the scene, once more painted as villains thanks to Malice, Storm tells Dazzler that she is too big a target for the Marauders, and that she will be safer amongst the X-Men. Though she does not want the life of a superhero, she accepts. From a distance, Malice watches them go, pleased with the distrust her actions have sown amongst the X-Men.
    http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/happy_67th_birthday_barry_windsor_smith/

Omg I miss the days when DAZZLER was running around coked out of her mind, psyched out by Malice, wearing just her slip and house slippers to clubs. Those were some her realest moments.
    I'm glad Storm slapped her around and got her straight tho.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Aw!

Disappointed to hear that you're leaving A-Force, Ben. Even if you illustrated the book for a short time, you did a memorable job, especially when it came to Dazz (both regular and Thor versions!) Will the new look that you were planning for Ali be incorporated by the new artist or have they decided to go in another direction (or stay with the current look)?
    thank you! it's easier when you're working with a great team!* i have no idea what's in store for the team or ali. the new (again, albeit transitional) look i suggested for her would've still felt more like an outfit than a costume, i never got around to designing anything final for her. but considering kelly's track record, I'm sure there will be a lot of sparkling (and punching) in her future.

dazzler_stage2_color.jpg

* i meant the creative and editorial team, but of course that applies to a-force, too!

Quote Originally Posted by ben c View Post
    thank you! it's easier when you're working with a great team!* i have no idea what's in store for the team or ali. the new (again, albeit transitional) look i suggested for her would've still felt more like an outfit than a costume, i never got around to designing anything final for her. but considering kelly's track record, I'm sure there will be a lot of sparkling (and punching) in her future.

dazzler_stage2_color.jpg

* i meant the creative and editorial team, but of course that applies to a-force, too!
    Does that mean you're really out? Some people expected to be just during the CW tie-in. Is it possible that you may at least draw some issues sometimes, as a guest artist? I really like that design btw.

Oh my GOD! That design has got to make it into the book somehow! It's so hot! SILVER HOTPANTS?!?!??!!

Please benc don't leave! Who else will care about DAZZLER the way you do? It's been forever since she's had the backing of a creator who is clearly excited about the character and styling her. Plus the acting in the book is incredible and so organic. #gonetoosoon
    Last edited by ohsnapulon5000; 05-25-2016 at 04:23 PM.

The Poster FKA Firebaton ThomBoleyn's Avatar

That costume/outfit is GORGEOUS!!
    I don't post often, but I like to chime in now and again.

That costume is LOVE! Really hope it makes it into the book.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    Please benc don't leave! Who else will care about DAZZLER the way you do? It's been forever since she's had the backing of a creator who is clearly excited about the character and styling her. Plus the acting in the book is incredible and so organic. #gonetoosoon
    Of course the most wonderful things have to be ephemeral.