All-New Member

Default Help an old man please

Hi Folks ,

Well really a sad tale and one that is prob similiar to others . I was born in 1966 dec , around about when i was 5 or 6 give and take a few years i was rushed into hospital with a twisted colon . Well all is well as im still ticking today lol , but when i came out my brother as a prezzie ( he was in his 20's at work ) said to me here are 2 comics read them both and pick which one you want regularly every week . Now my memory is vagueish on this but i know for a fact it was a No1 in one of the comics and a No 2 in the other one . Im not sure but he might have said its a reprint or something like that . As i know the orig was when i was born and this is whats confusing me but i know it was a No1 and a No2 .

I think the No 1 was possibly Thor , Hulk or ironman in that order and most deffo the number 2 was spiderman.

Well i settled on Spiderman and stuffed every comic in my wardrobe for ages until the pile got that big and yellow and dusty one day i just got sick of them and threw them all and that was even then possibly thinking they might be valuable one day at such a young age . I think i chucked them because they went yellow didnt think they would be worth anything at all . What a day that was to regret as my daughter who is 22 is now into graphic drawing and is well into all the marvel super heroes , i so bitterly regret chucking them as my daughter could have read them .

Can someone please help and solve the mystery of above did they reprint it around the early 70's or was it just the start of a new improved comic etc etc .

Thanks

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Hi Folks ,

Well really a sad tale and one that is prob similiar to others . I was born in 1966 dec , around about when i was 5 or 6 give and take a few years i was rushed into hospital with a twisted colon . Well all is well as im still ticking today lol , but when i came out my brother as a prezzie ( he was in his 20's at work ) said to me here are 2 comics read them both and pick which one you want regularly every week . Now my memory is vagueish on this but i know for a fact it was a No1 in one of the comics and a No 2 in the other one . Im not sure but he might have said its a reprint or something like that . As i know the orig was when i was born and this is whats confusing me but i know it was a No1 and a No2 .

I think the No 1 was possibly Thor , Hulk or ironman in that order and most deffo the number 2 was spiderman.

Well i settled on Spiderman and stuffed every comic in my wardrobe for ages until the pile got that big and yellow and dusty one day i just got sick of them and threw them all and that was even then possibly thinking they might be valuable one day at such a young age . I think i chucked them because they went yellow didnt think they would be worth anything at all . What a day that was to regret as my daughter who is 22 is now into graphic drawing and is well into all the marvel super heroes , i so bitterly regret chucking them as my daughter could have read them .

Can someone please help and solve the mystery of above did they reprint it around the early 70's or was it just the start of a new improved comic etc etc .

Thanks

Alan
    The Spider-Man title was probably Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man. It was a companion comic to The Amazing Spider-Man title and came out in 76 (I have the incredibly battered and torn first issue still).

Edit: The number 1 issue might have been The Man Called Nova?
    Last edited by Panic; 11-29-2021 at 04:01 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The Spider-Man title was probably Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man. It was a companion comic to The Amazing Spider-Man title and came out in 76 (I have the incredibly battered and torn first issue still).

Edit: The number 1 issue might have been The Man Called Nova?
    Hi
    Yes i think your right with the spectacular spiderman now that deffo rings a bell with me . I seem to remember it went for ages like this and then didnt it swap to the amazing spiderman as i remember a change in title .

But the No 1 issue it deffo wasnt that im pretty sure it was Thor as my brother thought i would choose Thor think he was surprised i went for spiderman .

Thanks for that .

Anyone else with any info please reply as its bringing back fond memories and facts i can tell my daughter , instead of guesswork .

All-New Member

Looking this up it seems as though this was monthly ( spectacular spiderman ) and im pretty sure i use to get a comic weekly but maybe my memory is bad im not 100% sure .

Looking this up it seems as though this was monthly ( spectacular spiderman ) and im pretty sure i use to get a comic weekly but maybe my memory is bad im not 100% sure .
    Wait... what country were you in, Alan?

All-New Member

Wait... what country were you in, Alan?
    United Kingdom England

United Kingdom England
    Okay, this changes things a bit. I'm from the UK too, and we did get the American monthly colour comics available occasionally in newsagents, but mostly what was available were reprint books produced specifically for the UK market. They would have had colour covers, but usually would have had black and white insides. Sometimes there would have been a mix, like with Captain Britain weekly, which started out with a number of colour pages inside, but also some B&W pages. And it was the British reprints that came out weekly, the American imports were only monthlies.

Spider-Man Comics Weekly #1 came out in 1973. That sounds about right for your time-line.

It's interesting that Thor seems to have been the back-up strip.

These comics were a few years before my time as a Marvel reader (born 71) so I don't know all the comics Marvel UK were producing back then.

All-New Member

Okay, this changes things a bit. I'm from the UK too, and we did get the American monthly colour comics available occasionally in newsagents, but mostly what was available were reprint books produced specifically for the UK market. They would have had colour covers, but usually would have had black and white insides. Sometimes there would have been a mix, like with Captain Britain weekly, which started out with a number of colour pages inside, but also some B&W pages. And it was the British reprints that came out weekly, the American imports were only monthlies.

Spider-Man Comics Weekly #1 came out in 1973. That sounds about right for your time-line.

It's interesting that Thor seems to have been the back-up strip.

These comics were a few years before my time as a Marvel reader (born 71) so I don't know all the comics Marvel UK were producing back then.
    That really is interesting as my memory is vague but Thor being in the comic is prob what im remembering .I was thinking that Thor was a seperate comic but maybe not .When this came out as No2 was there another comic at that time with a No1 out like Hulk or Iron man etc etc .Really trying to track down what my first comics were i know i deffo didnt start with the No1 Spiderman that was No2 , i remember this because its Spiderman i chose so i was a bit done i had missed the first one that much i do remember .

Thanks for all of this its bringing back memories .

I do know that after quite awhile the title of the comics did change im pretty damn sure i had the amazing spiderman at some point and prob the spectacular . Dont know how all this ties in though .Unless one comic finished and the crafty newsagent just replaced it with another to keep my money coming in lol ( well my brothers lol ) .

From what I can see, Marvel UK were only putting out three titles around that time, the Spider-Man one, Mighty World of Marvel which had already been going for a while, and The Avengers, which had its first issue a little after Spider-Man’s.

If you Google Marvel UK you could see if any of the issues there jog your memory. I know it’s difficult though, as I have done similar and realised just how vague my memory is from when I was five or six years old.

You might want to think about whether you remember any free gifts with these issues, as British comics always tried that tactic when bringing out a new comic (I had the free spinner from the first issue of 2000AD for years and years, stuck in my mind for longer than the actual comic).