Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Producing still means Cleopatra is on her plate, it just means it won’t take up nearly so much of her time.

But yet, it looks like Wonder Woman 3 might be Jenkins next movie after all.

Edit: Or maybe not since they can wedge filming Rouge Squadron in 2022 before shooting Wonder Woman in 2023.
    I should have been clearer. I meant as far as directing goes. I would be alarmed if I were Patty if I went from 3 potentially huge movies as director to one. I am no insider, but I do think there's a question if the response to WW84 is impacting these decisions. That's why I mentioned I would love an interview with Jenkins. I would love to know how she feels about the response of WW84 and where she is in the industry right now versus where she was after WW2017.

It's also why I mention I'm happy she is able to give WW3 her full devotion. I am speculating that WW3 can be a major return to Saint Patty of 2017, or it could confirm her exile. At the very least, make it more difficult for her to move forward if WW3 does not connect with the audience.

I do think Jenkins has one good thing on her side. At least from what I can determine - and of course this is no way empirical research - it does seem like people want WW3 to be great and successful. While WW84 did not hit the mark for many, on Reddit, Twitter, and on here, I see people still want WW3 and are still connected to the brand. Jenkins just needs to deliver a film that makes audiences happy.

I hope she can as I do still love her vision for both movies, and I would like to support her in the future.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Directing takes up a lot of time so she just took on a little bit to much especially with COVID but that's nothing new. She also was going to produce the never greenlit Amazons spin off that was meant to bridge 1984 and WW3.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Directing takes up a lot of time so she just took on a little bit to much especially with COVID but that's nothing new. She also was going to produce the never greenlit Amazons spin off that was meant to bridge 1984 and WW3.
    I didn't even know that was a thing! Shame they didn't make it. I would've enjoyed a series like that I think.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

If it starts filming in 2023, when do we think it will be good and ready for release? 2025? I don't know these things work.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    If it starts filming in 2023, when do we think it will be good and ready for release? 2025? I don't know these things work.
    It depends on when they start. Star Wars Rogue Squadron was originally supposed to film in early 2022 according to one of the trades with a December 2023 release date. WW1984 started shooting in 2018 and was originally supposed to come out in late 2019.

So it could be 2024 or 2025 depending on scheduling and how WB plans to market the film in accordance with their other films.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Either late 2024 (like august) or early 2025.

They just announced a 2nd spin off series for The Batman focused on Penguin....where the hell is our additional WW content?

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I should have been clearer. I meant as far as directing goes. I would be alarmed if I were Patty if I went from 3 potentially huge movies as director to one. I am no insider, but I do think there's a question if the response to WW84 is impacting these decisions. That's why I mentioned I would love an interview with Jenkins. I would love to know how she feels about the response of WW84 and where she is in the industry right now versus where she was after WW2017.

It's also why I mention I'm happy she is able to give WW3 her full devotion. I am speculating that WW3 can be a major return to Saint Patty of 2017, or it could confirm her exile. At the very least, make it more difficult for her to move forward if WW3 does not connect with the audience.

I do think Jenkins has one good thing on her side. At least from what I can determine - and of course this is no way empirical research - it does seem like people want WW3 to be great and successful. While WW84 did not hit the mark for many, on Reddit, Twitter, and on here, I see people still want WW3 and are still connected to the brand. Jenkins just needs to deliver a film that makes audiences happy.

I hope she can as I do still love her vision for both movies, and I would like to support her in the future.
    To each his own, but what vision did you like for WW84? I can understand WW2017 which I found to be a good movie, but WW84? It was because of her total involvement in all facets of the film that I think WW84 was as bad as it was.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    To each his own, but what vision did you like for WW84? I can understand WW2017 which I found to be a good movie, but WW84? It was because of her total involvement in all facets of the film that I think WW84 was as bad as it was.
    I've left a review elsewhere, so I won't belabor the point. I loved the theme of wanting to be/do more in life, and how that dissatisfaction can lead one to make drastic decisions that harm themselves and others. I loved the idea that one must tell the truth to themselves and others to end their suffering. I also loved the character progression of Diana/Wonder Woman.

Outside of those things, I loved the use of the lasso. I thought all the performances were great; I did, at times, think Pedro Pascal seemed like he was in a different movie.

I also like how the movie doesn't villainize anyone just the circumstances that made them.

I understand people have a lot of issues with the movie, and I don't even disagree with all of them.

I, however, loved it, and I recently rewatched it for Thanksgiving. The movie inspires me and makes me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I've left a review elsewhere, so I won't belabor the point. I loved the theme of wanting to be/do more in life, and how that dissatisfaction can lead one to make drastic decisions that harm themselves and others. I loved the idea that one must tell the truth to themselves and others to end their suffering. I also loved the character progression of Diana/Wonder Woman.

Outside of those things, I loved the use of the lasso. I thought all the performances were great; I did, at times, think Pedro Pascal seemed like he was in a different movie.

I also like how the movie doesn't villainize anyone just the circumstances that made them.

I understand people have a lot of issues with the movie, and I don't even disagree with all of them.

I, however, loved it, and I recently rewatched it for Thanksgiving. The movie inspires me and makes me smile.
    Here here! I agree with all of this. Characterization and themes are KEY to WW, and 84 nailed it.

Are there issues? Sure. Am I likely to watch it from beginning to end as many times as I have 2017? Probably not, but I enjoy revisiting the Amazon games, the desert car chase and the 1st flight over and over.
    Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**

Incredible Member

I'm a minority here on the Wonder Woman movies. I thought the 2017 film was OK, but not great. I thought the 1984 film was a disaster.

To me the big problem is situating it in the past. Why not have a Wonder Woman film with lots of Themyscira, then Steve crashes needing to be
    rescued by Diana and Mala. Then a lot more about returning to Man's World on a mission of peace. Then having Wonder Woman arriving to the modern
    world, interacting with it, trying to engage in positive change. That would to me at least be a more interesting film. But what do I know?

I hope that meandering through the past is over with the last film in this trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    I'm a minority here on the Wonder Woman movies. I thought the 2017 film was OK, but not great. I thought the 1984 film was a disaster.

To me the big problem is situating it in the past. Why not have a Wonder Woman film with lots of Themyscira, then Steve crashes needing to be
    rescued by Diana and Mala. Then a lot more about returning to Man's World on a mission of peace. Then having Wonder Woman arriving to the modern
    world, interacting with it, trying to engage in positive change. That would to me at least be a more interesting film. But what do I know?

I hope that meandering through the past is over with the last film in this trilogy.
    You're not alone. I think the movies are ultimately medicore and not up to the level of quality I want/expect from a WW adaption. Daddy Zeus is another huge mark against it and Gal can't act for peanuts.

They're primary saving grace is Patty Jenkins being able to understand that Diana's compassion is her greatest trait and that she is not meant to be a Blood Knight but an agent of peace and compassion who is willing to fight only when it's necessary.

People like it mostly because WB/DC has fallen so short when it comes to giving any non-Supe/Bat characters any love that they are willing to accept whatever gets thrown their way.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

I always thought a neat Wonder Woman movie idea could be about her leaving Themyscira to go on a mythology- or fairy tale-inspired quest set in the modern world.

Mythology fiction in an urban setting; reinterpretations of old myths and folktales, basically.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 12-07-2021 at 02:45 PM.

Like Once Upon A Time meets Americans Gods?

That's doable given that she has Circe and Queen of Fables in her rogues gallery.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post

I don't think you are in the minority here. Most people liked the first film, but from most of my friends that have seen WW84 absolutely hated it. They thought it was two steps backward from the first movie. Many, including me, found too many parts of the movie ludicrous as well looking cheaply made despite the budget attached to it. Using her lasso like she was Spiderman in the mall scene was just too much. The laughable dolls she was holding when saving the kids in the caravan scene made the action sequence look bad. And she was depowered through much of the movie which is just a stupid plot point. And I am not even talking about the stupidity of Steve flying the plane (which is somehow gassed up for a 6000 mile ride), or Steve explaining to Diana how to fly and she just does it, or Steve in another mans body, or the rules in which the wishstone worked. Good thing Barbara was able to get two wishes so she could have a mediocre fight scene with Diana at the end.

These are only some of the major plot contrivances that made the movie bomb, in my opinion. Just check out youtube and look at all the WW84 reactions or critques and they can offer better explanations with what was wrong with the movie. That is why, even though I know Patty is directing, that is all she should do. And get a competent action director for the action scenes. At least make her shine in the action scenes, you know, because she is a freaking superhero.

Incredible Member

I thought the first was good and the second was OK.

My biggest grievance with the films has really little to do with the one's making the films. The past settings are bullshit meant to play within the sandbox developed by Zach Snyder's failed and abandoned DCU. And Patty and Gal and Heinberg and other creators did their best in adapting to the restrictions placed on them. But she really should have just had her first film set after BvS, with some of it set in the recent past on Themyscira as needed to tell the story.

As it stands, both films are basically the writers bending over backwards to integrate her into a vision of the DCU that proved untenable and unsustainable. Look at Aquaman's film, it's set after Justice League and barely had any mention of it and had him venture back to Atlantis and discover more about it, his brother, Mera, the crown and his legacy. We should have gotten something like that for Diana.

Instead, she's a footnote in DCEU history with the public unaware of who she is (I guess there was a Wonder Woman doll in Shazam...maybe?), with a nebulous impact on humanity. Even Aquaman has gotten mentioned in the Peacemaker trailer and in reverential way. And with no spin-off shows or movies or anything to speak off, we barely know anything about the Amazons and have zero characters who exist to build up her world. Etta is dead, Steve is twice dead, the Amazons are relegated to a Themyscira she can't get to, and she's never met Asteria. After 2 movies, she has no supporting cast. Hopefully Wiig comes back as Cheetah and they do homegirl a little better.