Extraordinary Member

Default Samus Aran vs Alucard

Samus Aran, the bounty hunter of the Metroid franchise

vs.

Alucard, the son of Dracula from the Castlevania franchise

Which of the two halves of Metroidvania will come out on top?

This fight will be run 2 ways

1. A standard arena battle under normal rules

2. A Game Mechanics fight. Both fighters will be on a 2D field, and be acting as they one in their own games. For the purposes of this, Samus will have her full kit from Super Metroid, while Alucard will have his full kit from Symphony of the Night.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Alucard usually has to make a choice about which magical weapon/spell he has to hand so... which is he having here? Unless we're spotting him all of them or something?

Also, it's a bit game mechanics-y but, in theory, the Shield Rod and Alucard Shield combination is ridiculously OP.

For context, here's how the Shield Rod and Alucard Shield combo deals with arguably the most powerful boss in the entire game:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Alucard usually has to make a choice about which magical weapon/spell he has to hand so... which is he having here? Unless we're spotting him all of them or something?

Also, it's a bit game mechanics-y but, in theory, the Shield Rod and Alucard Shield combination is ridiculously OP.

For context, here's how the Shield Rod and Alucard Shield combo deals with arguably the most powerful boss in the entire game:

If Alucard can't have his entire kit at once in game, then for the battle he'd have whatever his optimal kit from the game would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    If Alucard can't have his entire kit at once in game, then for the battle he'd have whatever his optimal kit from the game would be.
    Alright, Time Stop spell + Shield Rod + Alucard Shield = one dead Samus I think.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I dunno, Super Metroid's screw attack was still pretty invincible and can just stay active indefinitely. If it's a game mechanics fight, then she only needs to jump, which is fast enough that it could become a quickdraw against time stopping.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 11-30-2021 at 04:21 PM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Extraordinary Member

How does the Top Stop Spell work in game?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    How does the Top Stop Spell work in game?
    I assume you mean Time Stop.

You just activate it with a button press, whenever you want, and away it goes. It lasts as long as Alucard has hearts and, if it's optimised Alucard, he's going to have a selection of ethers and high ethers to use to prolong that for a while.

I have not played a Metroid since...oh, Zero Mission? So bear with me as I attempt to play devil's advocate.

Is it not the case that Samus's beam eventually becomes a layered composite which includes a freezing effect? Given Alucard is susceptible to Golden Medusa heads - and indeed Medusa herself - without a certain accessory, if Samus lands a shot, it swings the other way.

...y'know, if.

It's effectively a quickdraw between pressing B vs Up+B lol

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

If Alucard's timestop activation is truly 100% instant, he probably at least has a very marginal advantage, since a jump takes a frame or two before the screw attack starts. Once it starts though, I don't think he has anything that's going to hurt her, given the range of things that just flat out do not bypass screw attack's energy field or whatever is going on when she uses it.

On the other hand, he may move and suddenly find himself colliding with an invisible wall of infinite damage if Samus paused the game and turned on the murder beam, but maybe that's too much mechanics (and he probably has glitch bullshit too at that point)
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands