Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or it just comes down to a difference in personal taste, but to each their own .
    Of course it's personal taste, but I honestly think you should ask more from the comics you consume than the criteria you've put forward on this thread. Aim higher, man. You deserve more. If we, as readers, settle for little more than well-intentioned content featuring IP we like, that's all these corporations are going to deliver.

It's not that every comic writer has to be putting out Watchmen, DKR, All Star Superman, or New Frontier every week, but when they aren't fulfilling their potential, I think we need to ask for more. Williamson is capable of producing better comics than this. His work on Robin proves this.

Yeah, there is no excuse when his Robin is consistently hovering around 8/10 and IF/Incarnate are more like 5/10.

This really doesn't feel like the same writer from Robin.
    I thought the issue was a mess, with very poor and basic characterizations. And then the art was all over the place and just not good enough for a supposedly "big" book like this.
    Feels like DC is ham-fisting this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Of course it's personal taste, but I honestly think you should ask more from the comics you consume than the criteria you've put forward on this thread. Aim higher, man. You deserve more. If we, as readers, settle for little more than well-intentioned content featuring IP we like, that's all these corporations are going to deliver.

It's not that every comic writer has to be putting out Watchmen, DKR, All Star Superman, or New Frontier every week, but when they aren't fulfilling their potential, I think we need to ask for more. Williamson is capable of producing better comics than this. His work on Robin proves this.
    Well, at least we can agree he can produce great comics .

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, at least we can agree he can produce great comics .
    Sure, "great" is probably pushing it for my tastes, but he's certainly put out some really good ones. I loved Speed Metal, for instance, and the first issue of Infinite Frontier was very strong, which is why I'm still reading. It's a shame that everything that's followed has been largely diminishing returns.

Even if you ignore all the other great characters in this book, Calvin Ellis is a character with so much damned potential. To see it squandered like this is a little frustrating.

I thought the issue was fun overall but mainly because I love the concepts Morrison created when he revamped the DC multiverse. Williamson is doing a adequate job but he really writes a terrible Darkseid. Just a savage bad guy who punches things he doesn’t like all while telling everyone how powerful he is.

The fanboy side of me was looking forward to seeing Darkseid vs Thanos, but I was very disappointed to find that they had Derenick draw that section. I’ve never been a fan of his art and he seems like the guy they call in when they need something done fast. I did love the fact that the Lantern spectrum rings were the stand in for the Infinity Stones. I wish they would have given Tartarus a gauntlet with all the rings.

I’m so damn happy that Orion is back in his classic design! Plus freaking Strummer is back!