Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Young Justice (the cartoon) is interesting because...?

It has an actual progressive timeline. Sidekicks take up their mentors mantle, characters die. It essentially asks the question what would happen if the DCU was allowed to actually progress? Though it doesn’t take that premise all the way to its natural outcome though.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    It has an actual progressive timeline. Sidekicks take up their mentors mantle, characters die. It essentially asks the question what would happen if the DCU was allowed to actually progress? Though it doesn’t take that premise all the way to its natural outcome though.
    I would like to add that we can feel the characters progression especially the main six plus Zatanna, Will Harper and some others. Their interpersonal interactions and the world building

Incredible Member

Where do I begin?

I guess like every Greg Weisman project, I love the ongoing story arching structure that plays into the series (everything is a working cog that comes back in a big way at some point or other). The big storyline, of course, focused around the big game of chess between the Light and Apokolips, with the League/ Team/ Outsiders all caught in the middle.

This series is fantastic at giving C/D List villains a chance to shine in the spotlight (before this series, how many of us actually cared about Sportsmaster, Psimon, Icicle Jr, Count Vertigo etc). Even supporting characters have fun easter eggs to the mainstream comics (the recent appearance of Jason Bard and Onyx Adams blew my mind).

The Light has to be one of the best super-villain team ever. Clearly based on the Infinite/Final Crisis version of the Secret Society of Super-Villains, I love it's rotating roster of the Council (With Savage, Luthor, Queen Bee and Klarion being the only S1 members to still be on it... for now). Makes me curious what other villains will join the spot soon (half expecting Talia too).

One of the best themes as well is Parental figures and their connections to the team (Superman/ Luthor/Superboy, Aqualad/ Black Manta, Zatanna/ Giovanni Zatara, The Crocks etc).

Progression is awesome...... until it bites you in the butt.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Progression is awesome...... until it bites you in the butt.
    surely only problem for Dick

I've been a fan of Greg Weisman since Gargoyles (still an untapped goldmine since the 90s that Disney continues to ignore). The guy is a long term planner and loves to expand the lore around what he creates. My only criticism of YJ, and its one that many have, is that seasons 2 and 3 introduced a few too many new characters at once, on top of the already established members. But otherwise, love it.

It comprises the wide DCU into a different time and place but still very familiar. New versions of old characters, new people to take up roles, and a timeline that progresses.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Ultimate Member

Having read / watched formulaic content for decades now, I can kind of 'see stuff coming.' When the characters are going to be idiots and keep secrets from each other that bite them in the ass, etc. So this show has been a delight, in that the writers like to subvert the 'obvious' formula. Instead of the team keeping secrets that end up biting them in the ass and serving as cheap 'don't trust each other' drama for the next two seasons (hello Clark and Lex on Smallville, or Kara and Lena on Supergirl), it all gets aired out and they move on in one episode. It's amazing, and a breath of fresh air for someone who feels sometimes like he's seen it all, and gets annoyed when Barry, on the Flash TV show, makes the same darn mistake for the twenty-billionth time because it's needed for 'dramatic tension' or whatever.

The writing feels intelligent and fresh and swerves from the lazy storytelling tropes I see on so many other shows, and I like it.

Astonishing Member

Doesn't try to justify villains or pretend certain villains are misunderstood and did nothing wrong.

My biggest issue is that there are now too many characters and not enough time to develop/ flesh them out. After this season, I would hope Weissman shifts focus from the original roster and elevate some of the side cast to prominence. Interesting storylines have been set up for a few side characters, but we won't get payoff if they remain out of focus.

Em, no I don't think so.
    It's interesting because it's a media that uses as much of the DC universe as it possibly can.

What I like about it is that it's a self contained world that progresses through time. You don't have too many chefs in the kitchen so it's easy to follow along a single continuity and actually care for these people as characters as opposed to archetypes. My only nitpick is the ballooning cast but I can deal as long as we continue to see the lives of the core group.

I feel that everyone gets a good amount of screen time too.

Extraordinary Member

it tells stories that the comics wont

It scratches nerds' itches for lore and worldbuilding.

It covers a lot of corners of the DCU throughout the years.