Default Wondergirl #5 spoilers and discussion

Poor Yara, and I don’t just mean the COVID/supply chain delays. So yeah things have really delayed Yara’s series so let’s do some catch up: The Olympic gods have taken in Yara after she got her powers in Brazil and gave her a training montage to be a skilled warrior and are asking that she give her loyalty to Olympus except Yara discovered they do not have her best interests in mind and are responsible for the death of her mother. So yeah this issue she just flat out denies Hera when she asks to be Olympus’ champion...which was a mistake.

Yeah so Hera is the wife of Zeus, she puts up with a lot and so she immediately shows why it was a bad idea to tick her off, to the point where the issue ends with Yara suffering a loss and being thrown down a pit.

As for other plot lines we follow Cassie Sandsmark who is learning about the Brazilian tribe of Amazonians who teach her a bit of their culture and take to their home and reveal that once Yara comes back to them they plan to march on Themyscira.....wait a second *flips through pages* no yeah that is specifically what was said that they were readying for Battle at the home of Wonder Woman. I mean what could be more surprising then the idea of the new Wonder girl apparently getting ready to attack the home of Wonder Woman? Well who they got to work with them honestly:

spoilers:
    It’s Donna Troy...yeah that’s a bit of a bombshell
    end of spoilers

All in all it’s a good issue for the continuing opening arc of Yara’s introduction not to mention it raises a lot of questions about the upcoming Wonder Woman event.

Oh yeah one more thing spoilers:
    R.I.P Jerry the Pegasus
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Donna! I don't even care what she's doing here, it's always good to see her in a WW book

Couldn't do a Wonder Girl series without the OG .

YES!! My girl is finally in a good book! I'm happy now!
    Hopefully she will stay in this book as much as Cassie! Let them be here for the long haul, please Joelle!

This book keeps being great! I also can NOT believe i got to see a Capybara in a DC book!
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

For a moment there I thought they had giant riding Capybara until I realized Capybara are just that big naturally

Also im really curious what Heras whole deal with all of this is or why the Esquecida are riding on Themyscira

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Donna! I don't even care what she's doing here, it's always good to see her in a WW book
    Judging by TTA 8 that book is gonna get cancelled soon, so Im glad Donna is being embraced by the wonder family so she not lost to limbo like Starfire, Cyborg and Beastboy will be when they create a new Teen Titans book.

Ueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee e

donnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aa

Jerry better not be dead! OMG that was utter perfection! It ran through all my emotions and I always wondered what would happen if Hephaetus was attacked with his own weapons. Action, adventure, humor this book is priceless!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I was surprised at how much page time Cassie got. This is the most attention I feel like she's gotten in a decade. Now if she can just get a new costume. But always nice to see her interact with family.

Was not expecting to see Donna at the end so that was a great surprise.

Hera showing why she is the QUEEN BITCH OF THE GODS was nice and this better not be the end of Jerry.

Yara was mainly in defense mode this issue so she didn't get a lot apart from lots of fighting but I do enjoy her banter.

So......these "Amazons" are a branch off of the Themiscryian Amazons.....even though they arent? Yaras mother happened upon them after she left so.....why do they care about the island unless they are tied to with our friend from the Annual that also sets up Trial of the Amazons.

And I cant think that this tribe would be fighting against the OG Amazons since I cant see Donna or Cassie betraying Diana and co.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Yara pissing off Hera with some jokes. I like Melo's art.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

I refuse to believe that Jerry is dead.

I haven't been regular WW reader since Azz/Chinag run ended, but I think that was Chiang's Hephaestus design? Has it been used all the time or is this a recent thing?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I refuse to believe that Jerry is dead.

I haven't been regular WW reader since Azz/Chinag run ended, but I think that was Chiang's Hephaestus design? Has it been used all the time or is this a recent thing?
    Jerry is around in Future State, so I guessing he’s not actually dead.

Recently, Diana restored the God’s lives and brought them back to Olympus. Somehow some of them retained their Chiang designs and some of them didn’t in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    Jerry is around in Future State, so I guessing he’s not actually dead.

That doesn't necesarily mean anything though as Future State among other things also showed a Gotham under a dictatorship and Batman having died. Both of which were retconned in the past month.
    Or Teen Titans having a chunk of its students turn into eldrich horrors which herald the apocolypse while messing around with the H-Dial which likewise never occured.

All we know about the Future State for Wonder Girl is that Jerry was alive, Yara was Wonder Woman, Diana was nowhere to be seen, and a war raged amongst the Amazons with a large body count.
    For all we know, Future State could have been an iteration where Yara did wind up accepting Heras offer.

That said, if Wonder Girls story is taking us to Tartarus, the death of Jerry might be moot.

I wouldn't be so sure, Future State can no longer be posible. We've already seen that Superman won't stay for long on Warworld, the Scarecrow thingy won't happen anymore, and Nubia won't become Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I was surprised at how much page time Cassie got. This is the most attention I feel like she's gotten in a decade. Now if she can just get a new costume. But always nice to see her interact with family.

Was not expecting to see Donna at the end so that was a great surprise.

Hera showing why she is the QUEEN BITCH OF THE GODS was nice and this better not be the end of Jerry.

Yara was mainly in defense mode this issue so she didn't get a lot apart from lots of fighting but I do enjoy her banter.

So......these "Amazons" are a branch off of the Themiscryian Amazons.....even though they arent? Yaras mother happened upon them after she left so.....why do they care about the island unless they are tied to with our friend from the Annual that also sets up Trial of the Amazons.

And I cant think that this tribe would be fighting against the OG Amazons since I cant see Donna or Cassie betraying Diana and co.
    I believe that the reason the Esquecida tribe is marching on Themyscira is not to do battle with their sister tribe but, because of the events that's happening in the Nubia book. It's telling when Potira says to Cassie that there has been "a shift. A neglection of duty-- something has occurred..." I believe this is referring to Dooms Doorway. Nubia was the former champion guarding Dooms Doorway but, since being Queen, she has not appointed a new champion much to Philippus' dismay. At the end of Nubia #1, we see Doom's Doorway has been cracked open with ominous green smoke and the Amazon guard has been turned to stone. All pointing to the most likely culprit, Medusa. If Medusa and possibly others have been set free, it's going to take a bunch of Amazons to put them back and once again, seal the Doorway.

I sincerely hope that is where this is going and that Donna being referred to as a "Weapon" refers to her new 52 origin (horrid) and is a ruse to make readers think the Amazon tribes will battling each other.