Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Jason is the most loyal Robin

Interesting discussion I came across on reddit
    Basically the idea is that Jason was the only Robin who never left Bruce he died in the role whereas all the other Robins got fed up and quit and created their own identities

Jason had his frustrations with Bruce similar to the others but he continued working with him in spite of them and channeled them in other directions
    Of course it led to his death but the point is that like dick and co he had an opportunity to strike out and create his own thing but never did until he died and returned

That's loyalty

It is interesting how Jason has morphed into the rebellious member of the Batfam through fanon and general flanderization when in reality he could be called the most steadfast and loyal

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Interesting discussion I came across on reddit
    Basically the idea is that Jason was the only Robin who never left Bruce he died in the role whereas all the other Robins got fed up and quit and created their own identities

Jason had his frustrations with Bruce similar to the others but he continued working with him in spite of them and channeled them in other directions
    Of course it led to his death but the point is that like dick and co he had an opportunity to strike out and create his own thing but never did until he died and returned

That's loyalty

It is interesting how Jason has morphed into the rebellious member of the Batfam through fanon and general flanderization when in reality he could be called the most steadfast and loyal
    Jason has attempted to murder 4/5 of the batfamily

Astonishing Member

It's a bit of a stretch, isn't it? Tim and Dick are "disloyal" because after years and years of being Robin, they went and did something else - but Jason is loyal because he was killed before he had the chance, good on him?

A little creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    It's a bit of a stretch, isn't it? Tim and Dick are "disloyal" because after years and years of being Robin, they went and did something else - but Jason is loyal because he was killed before he had the chance, good on him?

A little creepy.
    And a lot of stupid.

He was killed before he had a chance to get as far as Dick and Tim did, so that makes Jason "better" / "more loyal"? It's like saying a dog is loyal because it never ran away when in reality it never had the chance to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post

A little creepy.
    Agreed. Besides, it's not like Dick or Tim forgot about Bruce. When he has needed them, they have been at his side. They are very loyal to Bruce
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

To be honest pretty much the entirety of the family are incredibly loyal to Bruce. Sure they have there disagreements and fights but at the end of the day when he needs them they are always there.

Out of all Bruce's partners. I'd argue Barbara is the most loyal. Unlike any of the Robin's she has never really left Gotham for any extended period of time, and when Bruce rallies the family she is always present - Jason usually is but not always as seen during the City of Bane,

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And a lot of stupid.

He was killed before he had a chance to get as far as Dick and Tim did, so that makes Jason "better" / "more loyal"? It's like saying a dog is loyal because it never ran away when in reality it never had the chance to do so.
    Its interesting how the most rebellious and overtly villainous Robin is actually the most honorable and loyal one

DC has a mess of a continuity but they have come to a firm "everything happened" so the logic of saying Jason didn't have time to make the same choices as them is false
    Jason had his stints with the titans, met the JL, etc like Dick and co the difference with him is that he still wanted to be Bruce's partner up until the day he died

If I could take a shot at the dog comparison
    Jason is a dog with a dogs brain now... so yes according to your understanding of the character he would make the choices a dog would make and stay with the person who took him off the street and provides him with food. You have now distilled Jason Todd to an animal to trivialize the loyalty he displayed towards Bruce that no one else in the Bat family has

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    . . . Out of all Bruce's partners. I'd argue Barbara is the most loyal. Unlike any of the Robin's she has never really left Gotham for any extended period of time . . .
    I take it you never read any pre-CoIE stories when Barbara actually left Gotham City to go to Washington D.C. after she was elected to the U.S. Congress?

Its interesting how the most rebellious and overtly villainous Robin is actually the most honorable and loyal one
    It's interesting how you're confusing a discussion on reddit with an actual authoritative source regarding DC comics.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And a lot of stupid.

Not stupid, but unfair. Jason's time as Robin was ridiculously short. We don't know what could have happened if he had 5 years more in the suit and role.

That being said, I think Jason was very loyal to Bruce, and still is. More than people think. In my head, as a reader of this fiction made by several individuals, It's why he keeps coming back for him despite their diferences, hurts and conflics, and why he feels kind of betrayed and unloved by him in Under the Hood, actually. Jason loves Bruce to the bone, but love is just not enough to carry on any relationship, not even one between parent and child. I loved Williamson writing Jason in Future State for stuff like him trusting this mysterious character to do something Jason wouldn't have at all and put him against the rest of the superhero community, however that ended. I think in the general overview of the character, Jason is a very loyal character once you win his loyalty. Which isn't what has happened with Tim or Dick until way afferwards he has come back. Funny, I think Tim probably won his earlier than Dick.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 12-11-2021 at 10:08 AM.

I being "loyal" to Bruce even a good thing? Bruce can be pretty awful and has done a lot of questionable things over the years. Most arguments over who is loyal to Bruce and who is not talk about it as if being loyal to him and sticking by his side no matter what makes a character "better" than others, but in my opinion it just shows a lack of critical thinking skills.

DC has a mess of a continuity but they have come to a firm "everything happened" so the logic of saying Jason didn't have time to make the same choices as them is false
    Jason had his stints with the titans, met the JL, etc like Dick and co the difference with him is that he still wanted to be Bruce's partner up until the day he died

Jason is a dog with a dogs brain now... so yes according to your understanding of the character he would make the choices a dog would make and stay with the person who took him off the street and provides him with food. You have now distilled Jason Todd to an animal to trivialize the loyalty he displayed towards Bruce that no one else in the Bat family has
    Dude you're arguing in circles. Why is Jason the most honorable and loyal one? What has he done to actually earn that title?

And with your "everything happened" comment, this also means Jason was literally a mass murder, an act that explicitly went against Bruce's wishes. Is it loyal to do the exact opposite of what someone asks you to do? Jason worked to undermine Bruce, he was working as a hostile force.

Also the reason Jason died is because he disobeyed Bruce's direct order and went in search of his mother.

You've raised a poor argument. By your own logic, if Dick or Tim died at 15, then you'd call them more loyal because they died as Robin?

The time he has with Bruce as Robin was still too short. No matter if you merge pre and post COiE, though. Why? Because stories were at least soft reset, and that means his conflicts with Bruce were also soft rebooted. In fact, you could argue that Jason left Bruce twice, with his story merged, to do his thing before he died. Sure, he didn't stopped being Robin by his own choice, but he left Bruce as his child once with Nocturna's plot and once for looking for his biomom. Both times when he didn't feel loved enough by him, if memory serves me right. And both times he came back to Bruce, but still.

Anyways, this issue is an interesting one. Glad you brought it here from there.

Quote Originally Posted by JackJustMetMartin View Post
    Dude you're arguing in circles. Why is Jason the most honorable and loyal one? What has he done to actually earn that title?

And with your "everything happened" comment, this also means Jason was literally a mass murder, an act that explicitly went against Bruce's wishes. Is it loyal to do the exact opposite of what someone asks you to do? Jason worked to undermine Bruce, he was working as a hostile force.

Also the reason Jason died is because he disobeyed Bruce's direct order and went in search of his mother.

You've raised a poor argument. By your own logic, if Dick or Tim died at 15, then you'd call them more loyal because they died as Robin?
    Actually, no. Jason died because his mother sold him. He wanted to save his mother and he couldn't wait for Bruce to came back from looking for Joker, who was there with her. He died for being helpful and trusting. Not because he wasn't loyal or any nonsense.

According to that logic, Dick would be the most loyal, as he is the one that spent the most years with Bruce.

Again, all Robins are loyal. That some took off and went their own way doesn't make them less loyal, as, when needed, they're by Bruce's side.

Even Jason went his own way once he came back from the dead. He didn't go to Bruce to become Robin again, he became the Red Hood and started his own way of fighting crime
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Even if you want to say 'loyal', there's nothing intrinsically 'honorable' about sticking with Bruce unless you're self-inserting into his character. Leaving home to strike out and do your thing is something all young adults do. Only controlling parents would find that 'dishonorable'.