Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Always Rakzo

Default Batman: Fear State Omega #1 Discussion/Spoilers

Yes, I know I said I was going to quit at James Tynion IV's last Batman issue because of how terrible of final issue that was but I had the morbid curiosity to check if he could create an appropriate closure for this storyarc and his run as a whole in this special.

Surprise! Surprise! He couldn't!

In fact, as far as actual conclusions go, this might be one of the most unsatisfying ones in a while, even worse than anything that Tom King and, dare I say, Scott Snyder did in their long runs. Hell, is not even a conclusion as much as an epilogue in which Tynion focuses on the worthless characters he created during his time (Again, big surprise) probably because he knows nobody actually gives a damn about those derivative messes and he will be the last one to actually write them (For God's sake, those creations might even beat Snyder's Ultra Violet Spectrum and Still/Strength Forces in terms of laziness).

Sure, Batman still gets some kind of starring role here which is the very least they could do but if you're really honest, Bruce mostly reflects on what Tynion's "OCs don't steal" crew does and contemplates what they will do in the future. Seriously, Tynion might be even worse than Tom Taylor at pushing his pet characters.

And about the plot, forget about it, is an overly-long conversation between Batman and the Scarecrow that doesn't bring anything new to the table and doesn't redeem this storyline in any sort of way. In fact, is surprisingly devoid of content because Tynion decided to give the main focus to the already mentioned complaints.

Riccardo Federici, Guilem March, Christian Duce, Ryan Benjamin and Trevor Hairsine share the pencils and they all do a surprisingly consistent work with an appropriately gothic style.

Aside from that, this issue and run were a waste of time.