Always Rakzo

Default Batman: The Detective #6 Discussion/Spoilers

This is a pretty unsatisfying conclusion but that should have been obvious because of last chapter.

Tom Taylor might have come up with his worst villain yet (and that's saying something since Lord knows his antagonists are barely anything more than an obstacle for his protagonists). Equilibrium's whole motivation for killing people saved by Batman being that one of the persons he saved killed her family in a car accident is such an extreme reach that I don't even understand how anyone could come up with such connection, worst of all is that she actually killed the culprit so her going against Batman and the rest makes no sense whatsoever.

Everything about her makes no sense whatsoever and thus, this story follows suit. The whole "Detective" angle comes from the basis of investigating a very stupid idea that shouldn't have been even invented in the first place. Oh, an the fact that the "story" goes extremely fast doesn't help any matters and of course Equilibrium is defeated in a way as worthless as she is.

I will give this to Taylor though, Ducard was a pretty enjoyable character.

Andy Kubert did a pretty good job in art duties, his work has a classic dark tone that is immediately recognizable and fits the Bat universe perfectly.

Aside from that, another waste of time in terms of Batbooks this week. Eh, at least Robin was good.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    This is a pretty unsatisfying conclusion but that should have been obvious because of last chapter.

Tom Taylor might have come up with his worst villain yet (and that's saying something since Lord knows his antagonists are barely anything more than an obstacle for his protagonists). Equilibrium's whole motivation for killing people saved by Batman being that one of the persons he saved killed her family in a car accident is such an extreme reach that I don't even understand how anyone could come up with such connection, worst of all is that she actually killed the culprit so her going against Batman and the rest makes no sense whatsoever.

Everything about her makes no sense whatsoever and thus, this story follows suit. The whole "Detective" angle comes from the basis of investigating a very stupid idea that shouldn't have been even invented in the first place. Oh, an the fact that the "story" goes extremely fast doesn't help any matters and of course Equilibrium is defeated in a way as worthless as she is.

I will give this to Taylor though, Ducard was a pretty enjoyable character.

Andy Kubert did a pretty good job in art duties, his work has a classic dark tone that is immediately recognizable and fits the Bat universe perfectly.

Aside from that, another waste of time in terms of Batbooks this week. Eh, at least Robin was good.
    For whatever reason, for me, Taylor has not been reaching his previous heights.

I don't know if he's stretched too thin or what, but his older stuff is so good and this ended on a whimper.

At least the art is real purty

I really liked the first two issues of this, but since then it started going downhill so its not surprising that this ended as it did. A waste of great art.

I'm not sure if Taylor is stretched or since his current stuff is selling well this is going to be his "style" going forward, but I'm probably not picking up any new books from him in the near future.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Yeah, aside from Ducard's characterization and his interactions with Bruce the book was pretty disappointing.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!