Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow War

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, Talia and her people should have been the underdogs in this fight.

Instead, they drove Slade's people into hiding with freakin' mooks.
    I mean there is a big difference between Talia controlling an army of loyal followers who have known her for who knows how many years compared to Deathstroke who only recently took over the Secret Society after he shot their leaders and any dissenters in the face.

Slade doesn’t exactly have a loyal cohesive unit
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean there is a big difference between Talia controlling an army of loyal followers who have known her for who knows how many years compared to Deathstroke who only recently took over the Secret Society after he shot their leaders and any dissenters in the face.

Slade doesn’t exactly have a loyal cohesive unit
    No, but he does have overwhelming power (Girder, Shrapnel), exceptionally skilled warriors (Prometheus, Deadline (rip), and himself) and plenty of other power to spare, like Count Vertigo and Phobia.

The basic concept behind it is reigning in the other, worse villains, and they barely get in the ring.

No, but he does have overwhelming power (Girder, Shrapnel), exceptionally skilled warriors (Prometheus, Deadline (rip), and himself) and plenty of other power to spare, like Count Vertigo and Phobia.

The basic concept behind it is reigning in the other, worse villains, and they barely get in the ring.
    Yeah but power that doesn’t work with you and will bail to save their own skins isn’t exactly much of an army. Plus even disregarding Talia’s named villains, she’s got a league of assassins aka ninjas on her side that she can use as canon fodder. Strength isn’t useful if you can’t utilize it or are outnumbered.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah but power that doesn’t work with you and will bail to save their own skins isn’t exactly much of an army. Plus even disregarding Talia’s named villains, she’s got a league of assassins aka ninjas on her side that she can use as canon fodder. Strength isn’t useful if you can’t utilize it or are outnumbered.
    Slade's a veteran merc, who should be smart enough to be able to make the League hurt while making some money for his people to keep their loyalty.

Frankly, this story is baffling in terms of internal logic.

The Secret Society was introduced as a means of keeping some villains in check. Yet first time out the gate, they are forced into hiding by freakin' mooks, members killed while Slade lays low. I'm baffled why they would still follow him.

I thought the events been pretty fun so far. The Geo Force reveal was good,
    I don’t think it’s meant to be a huge surprise given all the clues but it works for the story and doesn’t rely on cheap fake out tactics. Never saw it as Bruce didn’t know it was Brion, he just didn’t want to share. He was shown in the story and he has a long and very personal history with Talia and Slade. I think people only really remember Terra when it comes to Brion but Deathstroke also used and manipulated to the point where Brion tried to kill himself just to kill Slade. Who doesn’t love a good blood feud. Doesn’t get a lot more personal than that. And the little character touches have been great too. I like actually seeing Ghost Maker interact with Damian, Damian and Bruce work on their relationship, etc. i do feel the SS should’ve been stronger threats since Talias guys seem to be mostly ninjas, but a lot of them are new faces with powers so I can roll with them being a major threat. Even Talia and Slade, he got cocky and she got lucky. Again GM pointed out he was frantic and sloppy earlier so it’s not like it came out of nowhere. What I am curious about is how this thing will end and can Slade come out on top since he looks to be the bad guy in Dark Crisis and still having the SS follow him so he must have something up his sleeve.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Yeah, Talia and her people should have been the underdogs in this fight.

Instead, they drove Slade's people into hiding with freakin' mooks.
    Slade's excuse was that he was more concerned about Respawn's safety and the Society thought he nuked Ra's anyway.

They completely bullied Talia when given the chance tho.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

C list villains fighting forces willing to kill them.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I thought the events been pretty fun so far. The Geo Force reveal was good,
    I don’t think it’s meant to be a huge surprise given all the clues but it works for the story and doesn’t rely on cheap fake out tactics. Never saw it as Bruce didn’t know it was Brion, he just didn’t want to share. He was shown in the story and he has a long and very personal history with Talia and Slade. I think people only really remember Terra when it comes to Brion but Deathstroke also used and manipulated to the point where Brion tried to kill himself just to kill Slade. Who doesn’t love a good blood feud. Doesn’t get a lot more personal than that. And the little character touches have been great too. I like actually seeing Ghost Maker interact with Damian, Damian and Bruce work on their relationship, etc. i do feel the SS should’ve been stronger threats since Talias guys seem to be mostly ninjas, but a lot of them are new faces with powers so I can roll with them being a major threat. Even Talia and Slade, he got cocky and she got lucky. Again GM pointed out he was frantic and sloppy earlier so it’s not like it came out of nowhere. What I am curious about is how this thing will end and can Slade come out on top since he looks to be the bad guy in Dark Crisis and still having the SS follow him so he must have something up his sleeve.
    It literally ended with a full page spread reveal and the tagline, "Geo-force! WTF!?" so how can you say it wasn't meant to be a big shocking twist?
    The truth is that it was meant to be some big surprise, but it was just so poorly written that it fell flat and it absolutely doesn't work.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 05-27-2022 at 06:49 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Due out on Tuesday (May 31st):
    THE SHADOW WAR'S EPIC CONCLUSION! The shocking finale of the Shadow War! Lives have been lost. Heroes and villains have fallen in battle. And now the real mastermind behind the Shadow War has been revealed. But they are far from done! Batman and Robin are all that's left to put a stop to their real plans. Can the father-and-son duo work together to save the day? Events in this issue lead directly into DC's next big summer event!

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic...ow-war-omega-1

Spectacular Member

I guess I just didn't see GeoForce as the big reveal. To me, the biggest reveal is Talia as The Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It literally ended with a full page spread reveal and the tagline, "Geo-force! WTF!?" so how can you say it wasn't meant to be a big shocking twist?
    The truth is that it was meant to be some big surprise, but it was just so poorly written that it fell flat and it absolutely doesn't work.
    That’s likely the in universe reaction. Damian even says that Bruce knows the imposter is in this very same issue and Bruce doesn’t correct him.

Extraordinary Member

Shadow War: Omega #1 Preview
    Writer: Joshua Williamson
    Artists: Stephen Segovia, Mike Henderson and Howard Porter

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    That’s likely the in universe reaction. Damian even says that Bruce knows the imposter is in this very same issue and Bruce doesn’t correct him.
    It isn't the in universe reaction, tag lines like that are just for the reader. Why even try to rationalize this? It's just an obviously poorly executed plot.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Shadow War: Omega #1 Preview
    Writer: Joshua Williamson
    Artists: Stephen Segovia, Mike Henderson and Howard Porter

Basically...it sucks being Brion!

Okay I’m one for liking Brion as the reveal, it makes a lot of sense and I feel like Williamson’s hinted at it throughout the story….but come on you knock him out WITH A ROCK? That’s his power for crying out loud.
    Last edited by sifighter; 05-27-2022 at 05:32 PM.
    Words to live by.