Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow War

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I personally really enjoyed this crossover. Was it a lot of going from point A to B? Sure, but I found the dialogue fun and the mystery exciting. And I know a few people thought of Geo-force, but I still saw several other people had different theories and wasn't sure still.

Anyways, there is a direct reference to Waid's World Finest villain in the Deathstroke issue in case people wondered how connected this was to the upcoming Batman Vs Robin event, which has me even more excited for that to come out.
    How does it hold up against Chuck Dixon style Batfamily events?

Hasn't Batman been borderline incompetent/useless in most of these event stories? It feels like it.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    The Dixon events were fun and well written...this was the opposite of that.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Spectacular Member

I believe Dixion had the benefit of professional and organized editorial staff and leadership, which meant he was able to build on a coherent continuity with well defined characters. I have enjoyed parts of Shadow War, and Williamson's writing, but... While I believe many of the characters are purposefully ooc (especially with Nezha story intersecting from World's Finest), but the poor characterizations leading into Shadow War mean we don't see "hey, that character is ooc" but rather "ugh, here we go again, ooc characters."

Unfortunately that means Shadow War isn't exactly No Man's Land...enjoyable, though.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OOPS View Post
    I believe Dixion had the benefit of professional and organized editorial staff and leadership, which meant he was able to build on a coherent continuity with well defined characters. I have enjoyed parts of Shadow War, and Williamson's writing, but... While I believe many of the characters are purposefully ooc (especially with Nezha story intersecting from World's Finest), but the poor characterizations leading into Shadow War mean we don't see "hey, that character is ooc" but rather "ugh, here we go again, ooc characters."

Unfortunately that means Shadow War isn't exactly No Man's Land...enjoyable, though.
    I dunno, for all his flaws, Dixon was able to execute an idea fairly logically.

Shadow War, not so much.

It does not even come close.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hasn't Batman been borderline incompetent/useless in most of these event stories? It feels like it.
    He's generally been that way for at least the past ten years . . .

Other than an obvious cash grab, I really don't see the point in any of this.

Two major villains got killed but everybody knows they won't stay dead which will also make the obscure superhero turn antihero angle pointless. Also, I don't buy into what Talia did to Slade. Lady Shiva, I could. Talia, not so much and I'm not insinuating she's not deadly becuase she is, just not as deadly as Slade.

I’ve just read the two latest issues. That Geo-Force reveal wins the prize of least surprising cliffhanger ever. Can’t believe Williamson dragged this out so much and expected readers to not figure it out. It was obvious from the first issue, then the tunnel thing just confirmed it and we were stuck with issues and issues of Batman being dumb as f***.
    Plus some dialogues are so cringe-worthy. That Catwoman line? Ugh.

This is coming from someone who actually enjoyed Williamson’s Robin prior to the Respawn reveal, but my faith in him as a writer after reading this event, the Justice Incarnate mini and JL#75 have completely disappeared. I’m even more worried about Dark Crisis now than I already was.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I’ve just read the two latest issues. That Geo-Force reveal wins the prize of least surprising cliffhanger ever. Can’t believe Williamson dragged this out so much and expected readers to not figure it out. It was obvious from the first issue, then the tunnel thing just confirmed it and we were stuck with issues and issues of Batman being dumb as f***.
    Plus some dialogues are so cringe-worthy. That Catwoman line? Ugh.

This is coming from someone who actually enjoyed Williamson’s Robin prior to the Respawn reveal, but my faith in him as a writer after reading this event, the Justice Incarnate mini and JL#75 have completely disappeared. I’m even more worried about Dark Crisis now than I already was.
    Did he? Compared to say, the lackluster (understatement, I know) reveal of Red X in Titans Academy, combined with killing another major character there, I'd say it really wasn't dragged out that long. Not with 2-3 issues almost weekly of this event it seems like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Did he? Compared to say, the lackluster (understatement, I know) reveal of Red X in Titans Academy, combined with killing another major character there, I'd say it really wasn't dragged out that long. Not with 2-3 issues almost weekly of this event it seems like.
    The “twist” was telegraphed in issue 1 and the reveal happened 7 issues later. Regardless of how fast the shipping was, storywise that was dragged as hell. Especially since it was still treated as a huge surprise and not an obvious conclusion everyone involved should have thought about.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    The “twist” was telegraphed in issue 1 and the reveal happened 7 issues later. Regardless of how fast the shipping was, storywise that was dragged as hell. Especially since it was still treated as a huge surprise and not an obvious conclusion everyone involved should have thought about.
    Yeah, that they printed that "WTF!?" tagline at the end was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. I mean, at some level someone must have said, "Hey, you know this isn't surprising right?" and that no one listened to them is a great tragedy.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I don't read Batman books that much but Joshua Williamson was doing such a good job with Deathstroke that I decided to pick these up and it's been pretty fun.
    I didn't really pick up on it being Geo-Force until the encounter with Batman and Robin at the Italian guy's place lol.
    I wonder if this is going to tie into that group Talia is a part of in Infinite Frontier since JW is on that too.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I don't read Batman books that much but Joshua Williamson was doing such a good job with Deathstroke that I decided to pick these up and it's been pretty fun.
    I didn't really pick up on it being Geo-Force until the encounter with Batman and Robin at the Italian guy's place lol.
    I wonder if this is going to tie into that group Talia is a part of in Infinite Frontier since JW is on that too.
    You missed the giant tunnel the fake Deathstroke used to escape that Batman said couldn't have been made by machines?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    You missed the giant tunnel the fake Deathstroke used to escape that Batman said couldn't have been made by machines?
    I must've glazed over the dialogue from Batman's detective friend so I thought that tunnel was always there.
    "Cable was right!"