Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow War

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Slade was created for this. And outside of that role, he is useless.
    When they had Slade gut Phantom Lady (Dee Tyler) in Infinite Crisis, that crossed a line for me.

It's difficult to have any positive feelings for the character after that, though maybe a really good writer could overcome that (though I don't know if I'd even bother to read it).

Take a shot every time Batman says "what?" in this story.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    When they had Slade gut Phantom Lady (Dee Tyler) in Infinite Crisis, that crossed a line for me.

It's difficult to have any positive feelings for the character after that, though maybe a really good writer could overcome that (though I don't know if I'd even bother to read it).
    so much violence, it's ponographically disgusting

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    so much violence, it's ponographically disgusting
    He's Deathstroke the TERMINATOR. Not Deathstroke the INCONVENIENCER.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    He's Deathstroke the TERMINATOR. Not Deathstroke the INCONVENIENCER.
    I don't mean the act, but the way it is shown.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I posted who I think the killer behind all this is in the Damian thread
    I haven't even read this, but I saw the preview with the tunnel and immediately said "so, it's Geo-Force, right?" I mean, if Batman hasn't suspected Brian or someone trying to frame Brian, that's gotta put a dent in his "World's Greatest Detective" rep, right?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    I haven't even read this, but I saw the preview with the tunnel and immediately said "so, it's Geo-Force, right?" I mean, if Batman hasn't suspected Brian or someone trying to frame Brian, that's gotta put a dent in his "World's Greatest Detective" rep, right?
    That's why I don't get how anyone can be enjoying this.

There are only two scenarios here, and neither of them are good:
    1) It is Geo-Force behind the "murder" and so Batman can't investigate him because it's a plot contrivance needed to keep the story going long enough to justify it being an "event" and not a two or three part story.
    2) It's a red herring, but that only works if the characters in the story fall for it too. If it's just the readers who are meant to fall for Geo-Force then it's just a frustrating read because it makes the heroes look incompetent and then spoils the real solution as the writer didn't give the readers the clues the hero had.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That's why I don't get how anyone can be enjoying this.

There are only two scenarios here, and neither of them are good:
    1) It is Geo-Force behind the "murder" and so Batman can't investigate him because it's a plot contrivance needed to keep the story going long enough to justify it being an "event" and not a two or three part story.
    2) It's a red herring, but that only works if the characters in the story fall for it too. If it's just the readers who are meant to fall for Geo-Force then it's just a frustrating read because it makes the heroes look incompetent and then spoils the real solution as the writer didn't give the readers the clues the hero had.
    I think there are multiple people involved with Slade being set up. Geo Force(or Terra) dug the tunnel. Another person(the one Batman and Damian encountered in Giambi's basement?) killed Ra's. Alternatively, there are two people impersonating Slade: guy who killed Ras and guy in basement.

Oh yeah I hate Deathstroke, only read Inc to see Respawn’s origin.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Oh yeah I hate Deathstroke, only read Inc to see Respawn’s origin.
    How can you (or anyone) hate Slade?
    IMO he is one of the best created characters of DC.
    Think a lot of people "forget" that he wasn't designed to be a hero/anti-hero or to be rooted for.
    Instead, he's an amoral **** with a warped code. In other words the quintessential bad guy.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Think a lot of people "forget" that he wasn't designed to be a hero/anti-hero or to be rooted for.
    Instead, he's an amoral **** with a warped code. In other words the quintessential bad guy.
    I've never found him to be particularly interesting.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by kellabee View Post
    OMG! The hate and hypocrisy in this forum really baffling. And the double standard too.

Talia did something wrong: "Can we please remember that Talia is not real and writers/DC are making the decisions? "

Slade did something wrong: OMG! He did it himself! Evil incarnate! Burn him! He actually exist and responsible for his own actions!

Peoples should have thinks about their own actions. You and you and you all... poisioning the whole comic book fandom.
    You think everyone whose favorite character is a man are a lower lifeform. If that male character not a hero, then this doubly true.
    Omg, people on the internet have different opinions and are not a collective???
    Different people having different standards and opinions doesn't make them hypocrits. That's not how this works.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

This issue, Infinite Crisis #1, is the exact point I realised Geoff Johns wasn't the writer I thought he was and, with a few exceptions, he has sadly proved to be more this guy than the Wally as Flash (up to Flash #200) writer he started as.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Simple, Deathstroke rarely appeared in a good comic between the early New Teen Titans and the start of Priest's run.

He has bounced between good and evil on a whim but his appearances always led to nothing and he would be essentially reset for or by the next writer. He was written as this ultimate badass but is utterly ineffective except when killing his own family (who all come back).

I see him as DC's Wolverine (there are SO many parallels!). He was cool in his first few years but quickly became a parody of himself, but that's apparently what his fans want.

That's you showing bias, you're basically ignoring 75% of the character's history to fit the character you wish he were. The character you're describing is the guy from the Teen Titans cartoon. The comic book guy has another 30 years of history.

It doesn't matter that he started as a straight up monster, he has much longer as an anti-hero (who occasionally flip flops). To this day he i shown to have a code even when on the dark side.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I love Slade/Deathstroke. Ever since his first appearance I have been hooked.

I know I know Slade has had ups and downs but so has everyone else. Slade is a monster. It is the writer and editor at the time that makes him really bad or kind of bad.

I agree with someone above Slade is a bit like DC's Wolverine but I think Slade is much more lethal and dangerous than Logan. I know I will get a bunch of hate for that but its just my opinion.

In the right hands Deathstroke could have a great run again. I like Shadow War so far. I don't think Deathstroke Inc is bad at all. I would like to see DC move on from the Inc and give Slade a regular title and see where we can go from there.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime