Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Is Year One canon again?

I know that there have been references to it with some of the Catwoman stories. But is it officially canon again?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I know that there have been references to it with some of the Catwoman stories. But is it officially canon again?
    Both that and ZERO YEAR.
    But don't ask me how that works . . .

With DC is almost like they want you to build your own headcanon. Year One is referenced enough that you would think it's canon just don't take the timeline and age references too seriously. Miller had Baman lose his parents when he was six years old which in my opinion is too young. I also didn't like that he had Bruce become Batman at 26 he should start earlier.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Tom King referenced Year One several times in his run.

As much as I enjoy Zero Year, as far as I'm concerned that hasn't been cannon since we said goodbye to the New 52.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Tom King referenced Year One several times in his run.

As much as I enjoy Zero Year, as far as I'm concerned that hasn't been cannon since we said goodbye to the New 52.
    I think they both happened in some form or another, but Year One is the key one in my heart, so I hope more writers reference it.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    With DC is almost like they want you to build your own headcanon. Year One is referenced enough that you would think it's canon just don't take the timeline and age references too seriously. Miller had Baman lose his parents when he was six years old which in my opinion is too young. I also didn't like that he had Bruce become Batman at 26 he should start earlier.
    The problem with me is that every time I do that, they turn around and reference the thing I'm trying to ignore.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

IIRC, Miller didn't have Bruce lose his parents at six. That was Essen speculating, not a factual statement.

All the story objectively tells us is that Bruce returned to Gotham at 25, and a few months later he reflects that it's been 18 years since his parents died - meaning he's either 7 or (more likely) 8 when they were killed.

As for the rest - the way I see it, Year One is the baseline origin, but aspects of Zero Year remain part of continuity in broad strokes. I guess the Red Hood Gang arc could slot into the Year One era somewhere, while the Blackout and Riddler stories could be set a few years later with a more established Batman.

Everything is cannon and not cannon right now.(Infinity Frontier) So I feel like certain aspects are true.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Everything is cannon and not cannon right now.(Infinity Frontier) So I feel like certain aspects are true.
    I still don't get that. I am casual DC fan reader. and its been a nightmare for me to understand this Future State event. Is all this the new canon. They they resent canon again. or simply put all canons in continuity???? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    IIRC, Miller didn't have Bruce lose his parents at six. That was Essen speculating, not a factual statement.
    Don't remember that information being presented as speculation. There's no need to speculate about something that would be pretty much public knowledge in Gotham and would no doubt have countless records surrounding that event.

Don't remember that information being presented as speculation. There's no need to speculate about something that would be pretty much public knowledge in Gotham and would no doubt have countless records surrounding that event.
    People get stuff wrong all the time about public individuals.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post

All the story objectively tells us is that Bruce returned to Gotham at 25, and a few months later he reflects that it's been 18 years since his parents died - meaning he's either 7 or (more likely) 8 when they were killed.

As for the rest - the way I see it, Year One is the baseline origin, but aspects of Zero Year remain part of continuity in broad strokes. I guess the Red Hood Gang arc could slot into the Year One era somewhere, while the Blackout and Riddler stories could be set a few years later with a more established Batman.
    I did a counting some time ago. There's a gap in the summer of Year One... I believe until August or September, but don't remember when it started... where nothing happened. I believe this is the period when Gordon under Loeb did a task force to catch Batman.

I think it was April or May when the task force first act, and September when Batman vs SWAT happened.

The whole of Zero Year happened in the Summer. Despite the length of the book, in the story itself, it didn't take long, since we started with Bruce already in the middle of infiltrating Red Hood Gang, and The Zero Year flood which began the Riddler arc happened in July. I think.

So he can infiltrate Red Hood Gang while he's investigating the Falcone.

As a bonus, both The Man Who Laughs version and Zero Year of Red Hood One's fall into acid happened during Year One, since Joker first appeared in December of Year One. So you can also slot that in the Summer.

Also, Bruce started working with Gordon during the Zero Year flood, while in Year One it's not until his son was kidnapped. Since the flood doesn't need to happen during Year One on account of Duke Thomas's age, we can use Year One's version.

Dent wasn't in Zero Year, so you can just use the Year One version
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-03-2021 at 04:59 PM.

With DC is almost like they want you to build your own headcanon.
    This is why you can't take continuity too seriously. It's also why I don't read too many DC books. I'm not saying Marvel is all that much better, hell, I'm an X-Men fan, so what can I really say? Trying to make sense of X-Men continuity is like trying to unravel 40 years worth of earbuds that have been rolling around in a dryer set on ludicrous speed.

That being said, I would genuinely appreciate DC holding off on the constant reboots. It's goddamn exhausting.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    This is why you can't take continuity too seriously. It's also why I don't read too many DC books. I'm not saying Marvel is all that much better, hell, I'm an X-Men fan, so what can I really say? Trying to make sense of X-Men continuity is like trying to unravel 40 years worth of earbuds that have been rolling around in a dryer set on ludicrous speed.

That being said, I would genuinely appreciate DC holding off on the constant reboots. It's goddamn exhausting.
    DC hasn't actually rebooted since 2011 (and they claim it wasn't a reboot, but that's nonsense. Yes, some things held over, but Zero Year proves that ultimately, it was supposed to be a reboot, just a half hearted and poorly executed one). Rebirth wasn't a reboot, just a linewide relaunch that made some parts of continuity available again, and Infinite Frontier wasn't even a linewide relaunch so much as a linewide marketing event, sorta like One Year Later, that makes the rest of continuity available again. Basically, the n52 was a reboot, but Rebirth and Infinite Frontier were not.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    DC hasn't actually rebooted since 2011 (and they claim it wasn't a reboot, but that's nonsense. Yes, some things held over, but Zero Year proves that ultimately, it was supposed to be a reboot, just a half hearted and poorly executed one). Rebirth wasn't a reboot, just a linewide relaunch that made some parts of continuity available again, and Infinite Frontier wasn't even a linewide relaunch so much as a linewide marketing event, sorta like One Year Later, that makes the rest of continuity available again. Basically, the n52 was a reboot, but Rebirth and Infinite Frontier were not.
    Fair enough, Rebirth and Infinite Frontier were "re-booty" enough for me to feel a little triggered, but you're probably technically correct (which is the best kind of correct) so I guess I'll let it slide.

When was COIF? Like, 1985 or '86, right? That post-crisis to New 52 time period was probably my favorite time for DC comics. I did enjoy Court of Owls though, that was killer.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.