Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Is Year One canon again?

I know that there have been references to it with some of the Catwoman stories. But is it officially canon again?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I know that there have been references to it with some of the Catwoman stories. But is it officially canon again?
    Both that and ZERO YEAR.
    But don't ask me how that works . . .

With DC is almost like they want you to build your own headcanon. Year One is referenced enough that you would think it's canon just don't take the timeline and age references too seriously. Miller had Baman lose his parents when he was six years old which in my opinion is too young. I also didn't like that he had Bruce become Batman at 26 he should start earlier.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Tom King referenced Year One several times in his run.

As much as I enjoy Zero Year, as far as I'm concerned that hasn't been cannon since we said goodbye to the New 52.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Tom King referenced Year One several times in his run.

As much as I enjoy Zero Year, as far as I'm concerned that hasn't been cannon since we said goodbye to the New 52.
    I think they both happened in some form or another, but Year One is the key one in my heart, so I hope more writers reference it.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    With DC is almost like they want you to build your own headcanon. Year One is referenced enough that you would think it's canon just don't take the timeline and age references too seriously. Miller had Baman lose his parents when he was six years old which in my opinion is too young. I also didn't like that he had Bruce become Batman at 26 he should start earlier.
    The problem with me is that every time I do that, they turn around and reference the thing I'm trying to ignore.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

IIRC, Miller didn't have Bruce lose his parents at six. That was Essen speculating, not a factual statement.

All the story objectively tells us is that Bruce returned to Gotham at 25, and a few months later he reflects that it's been 18 years since his parents died - meaning he's either 7 or (more likely) 8 when they were killed.

As for the rest - the way I see it, Year One is the baseline origin, but aspects of Zero Year remain part of continuity in broad strokes. I guess the Red Hood Gang arc could slot into the Year One era somewhere, while the Blackout and Riddler stories could be set a few years later with a more established Batman.

Everything is cannon and not cannon right now.(Infinity Frontier) So I feel like certain aspects are true.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Everything is cannon and not cannon right now.(Infinity Frontier) So I feel like certain aspects are true.
    I still don't get that. I am casual DC fan reader. and its been a nightmare for me to understand this Future State event. Is all this the new canon. They they resent canon again. or simply put all canons in continuity???? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by darthjoker View Post
    I still don't get that. I am casual DC fan reader. and its been a nightmare for me to understand this Future State event. Is all this the new canon. They they resent canon again. or simply put all canons in continuity???? I don't get it.
    I thought "Future State" was primarily a way for DC to use the new material already done (and already paid for by DC) that was going to be for DC's 5G reboot, but then the 5G plans were booted after DiDio was kicked out?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I thought "Future State" was primarily a way for DC to use the new material already done (and already paid for by DC) that was going to be for DC's 5G reboot, but then the 5G plans were booted after DiDio was kicked out?
    yeah, and still a mess for the casual reader to understand sadly.

yeah, and still a mess for the casual reader to understand sadly.
    Still, there was some good stuff in it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Future State is an alternate future, full stop.
    Batman event Fear State was the beginning of events that would lead to Batman Future State if the villains succeeds, but they didn't.

About Everything is Canon

Everything that's been published by DC as the main continuity story, from 1938 into now, is canon as one single big long timeline, separated into Crisis reboots. The reboots and their process is canon in the story.

A lot, not all, characters, now also remember what happened in their previous continuity, showing up in flashes of memory. Deathstroke, for example, remembers his daughter Rose taking out her eye in previous continuity, although the current Rose has both her eyes.

Aside from events actually mentioned or shown in the books, though, they're not clarifying what's canon and how it happened in the current, post-Infinite Frontier continuity.

What this means for new or casual reader is you're supposed to just take what's written in the current books and not think much beyond that, maybe look up the events they referenced in the past books available now on amazon and comixology, thank you

It's the long time fans that's pulling their hair trying to keep up with the change, and maybe tweet the authors that they're doing things wrong
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-03-2021 at 07:59 AM.

There are too many fans who want contradictory things. You think figuring out Batman's history is difficult, try being a Superman fan. So I guess they decided to just kind of say "Whatever you want to be true is true" which there's no way they can keep doing in the long run.
    Assassinate Putin!

With DC is almost like they want you to build your own headcanon.
    This is why you can't take continuity too seriously. It's also why I don't read too many DC books. I'm not saying Marvel is all that much better, hell, I'm an X-Men fan, so what can I really say? Trying to make sense of X-Men continuity is like trying to unravel 40 years worth of earbuds that have been rolling around in a dryer set on ludicrous speed.

That being said, I would genuinely appreciate DC holding off on the constant reboots. It's goddamn exhausting.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.