Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
Future State is an alternate future, full stop.
Batman event Fear State was the beginning of events that would lead to Batman Future State if the villains succeeds, but they didn't.

About Everything is Canon

Everything that's been published by DC as the main continuity story, from 1938 into now, is canon as one single big long timeline, separated into Crisis reboots. The reboots and their process is canon in the story.

A lot, not all, characters, now also remember what happened in their previous continuity, showing up in flashes of memory. Deathstroke, for example, remembers his daughter Rose taking out her eye in previous continuity, although the current Rose has both her eyes.

Aside from events actually mentioned or shown in the books, though, they're not clarifying what's canon and how it happened in the current, post-Infinite Frontier continuity.

What this means for new or casual reader is you're supposed to just take what's written in the current books and not think much beyond that, maybe look up the events they referenced in the past books available now on amazon and comixology, thank you

It's the long time fans that's pulling their hair trying to keep up with the change, and maybe tweet the authors that they're doing things wrong
Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
There are too many fans who want contradictory things. You think figuring out Batman's history is difficult, try being a Superman fan. So I guess they decided to just kind of say "Whatever you want to be true is true" which there's no way they can keep doing in the long run.
Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
With DC is almost like they want you to build your own headcanon. Year One is referenced enough that you would think it's canon just don't take the timeline and age references too seriously. Miller had Baman lose his parents when he was six years old which in my opinion is too young. I also didn't like that he had Bruce become Batman at 26 he should start earlier.
all of this is exactly why comics don’t sell much anymore! Over reliance on the current fanbase and overconfidence in new readers wanting to spend 3.99-5.99 on previous copies of books that may or may not be available
In complete editions or story arcs to understand continuity. The thing is that the comic industry shoots themselves in the foot by not holding writers and editorials to higher standards. They should have been implemented a label for universe reboots and phase the old main timeline out. I’d say every ten years, DC needs to restart continuity with a defined and self contained universe so that readers don’t have to rely on another continuity to understand the one they are reading. It’s exactly the reason why the traditional prose industry is still making billions. People want more stories told in the vein of Harry Potter or Manga/Anime. A world with a set of stories about the characters who live in it. Trust me that people will re read Harry Potter written in different styles using different original mythos as long as it propels the world forward.

New readers don’t really care for old content when it comes to comics. People wanna see Batman fight new villains, do new things. They don’t want the same stories told 37383 different ways. I’d say the original James Bond books are a great example. One character fighting multiple villains in self contained sorry arcs with an over arching theme and villainous organization. You can easily re boot James Bond books and make him modern and create new villains, characters, ect ect and still incorporate the old stuff in a way it is supplemental but not overbearing. At the end of that era, you continue on.