Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Could have been worse. He could have had her say "Catch dese hands" and then follow up with a "mofo".
    Dead. I think it’s probably because he goes to Twitter to add “young” language not realizing that Twitter language often copies AAVE.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Dead. I think it’s probably because he goes to Twitter to add “young” language not realizing that Twitter language often copies AAVE.
    Vocabulary of and phrases used by internet based communities tend to be in constant flux anyway. So trying to copy anything from the internet tends to be a futile attempt at trying to be hip and modern that just makes everything dated quickly (often by the time it's printed).

Not to forget that youth cultures tend to hate it when "old folks" try to sound like them.

It's better to stick with a clear language and risk having it sound a bit old fashioned, than trying to chase a badly understood temporary trend.

Or better. Just try to write people talking like people.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

It was a good issue for Harry, who looks a lot better out of period clothing, but I don't know that I really wanted an issue focused on him. The scenes on the boat felt like filler. Feats are nice and all, but they are a poor substitute for character development.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    It was a good issue for Harry, who looks a lot better out of period clothing, but I don't know that I really wanted an issue focused on him. The scenes on the boat felt like filler. Feats are nice and all, but they are a poor substitute for character development.
    It seems to have become a sad trend with many writers to do these substitutes, resulting in characters getting increasing power expansions or upgrades but remaining static in character or worse getting regressed to rough outlines. Which then makes it even more difficult for the next writers to handle them as their increasing power displays destroys tension unless a bigger threat than before is thrown at them.

So a high risk of a vicious cycle ultimately harming the characters more than it helps them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Vocabulary of and phrases used by internet based communities tend to be in constant flux anyway. So trying to copy anything from the internet tends to be a futile attempt at trying to be hip and modern that just makes everything dated quickly (often by the time it's printed).

Not to forget that youth cultures tend to hate it when "old folks" try to sound like them.

It's better to stick with a clear language and risk having it sound a bit old fashioned, than trying to chase a badly understood temporary trend.

Or better. Just try to write people talking like people.
    I remember having a conversation with someone younger than me and trying to understand the words, context and phrasing of what they were saying.

After giving up I dropped an "old school" word and felt the satisfaction of leaving them confused as I walked away.

I held up two fingers and said, "Peace".

Astonishing Member

I remember having a conversation with someone younger than me and trying to understand the words, context and phrasing of what they were saying.

After giving up I dropped an "old school" word and felt the satisfaction of leaving them confused as I walked away.

Reminds me to that wonderfull scene in the original Deadpool series, where he traveled back in time to the 70's version of Spiderman, disguised himself as Peter Parker and met Harry Osborn:
    Harry: What's the scam, hip cat? I thought I'd find you singin' with the squares!
    Deadpool: What?
    Harry: Hangin' with the hard cases...
    Deadpool: Excuse me?
    Harry: Rappin' with the rubes...
    Deadpool: Are you having a seizure? Speak english!
    Last edited by Grunty; 12-01-2021 at 03:49 PM.

Could have been worse. He could have had her say "Catch dese hands" and then follow up with a "mofo".
    Small miracles.

The book is clearly spinning its wheels until the relaunch. I had to stop and remind myself who Leland even was. And I was still confused why this was happening and why I should care.

Solid issue. Iceman scene was fun but light. I really enjoyed the Leland/Shaw reunion.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    At least Bishop got the promotion to Captain, though I don't even think that happened in this book, he's wasted on here someway Storm was, I'd say Pyro too but realistically this is probably the best he could hope for.
    it was in the Inferno mini...and i think he appeared in another mini as a Captain, Trial of Wanda...i mean Trial of Magneto.

Spectacular Member sensormellow's Avatar

I feel like this could've been more coherent/consistent if it just focused on + elaborated on Harry Leland. Like if this issue was through his POV. There's a lot of backstory potential there (what does he REALLY think about being Shinobi's father, as an example) I think or a way to reintroduce him to new readers like myself. That said, his reaction to Krakoa was very poignant.

Iceman in this issue seems random (although I'll take mlm representation where I can get them, as per usual eyeroll.gif). Cool powers though.

The worst thing for me definitely was when younger people started calling things "on trend", which felt like a horrific pincer maneuver with my parents disparagingly calling everything my generation liked "trendy".