Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
    Extraordinary Member

Looking back at this Bleeding Cool item from mid-2019, I'll always wonder what this referred to:

And although not turned into human, prominent movie mutants Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were turned into non-mutants again, experimental subjects of the High Evolutionary as a result of all the internal Marvel politics. I understand that current management are planning to emphasise Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Magneto's family ties in 2020 – but plans may be on hold as a result of the WandaVision TV show on Disney+ so as not to confuse people further.
    I believe the item is true because it feels like Wanda in particular was being "saved" for some story that would spin out of the "Pretender" business (otherwise I don't see why they'd have kept turning down pitches to use her during the run-up to her show). It certainly felt like Hickman was setting up something, though he might have been vague about exactly what it was going to be.

I used to think they were going to un-retcon the retcon and then got cold feet because of the MCU, but after Franklin Richards was declared to be not a mutant, I decided that probably wasn't going to happen (because whatever caused the Wanda/Pietro retcon is clearly still going on). Whatever it was going to be, it feels like it's something that got lost due to Hickman cutting his run short.

Hickman's "Empyre" story ended by hinting that Wanda would die ("Unless, of course, you can't live with yourself... unless, of course, you won't"), and it feels like they ended up making it into a small X-Factor murder mystery, only to then make it big at the last minute.
    Last edited by gurkle; 12-06-2021 at 09:12 PM.

baumblume

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Looking back at this Bleeding Cool item from mid-2019, I'll always wonder what this referred to:

I believe the item is true because it feels like Wanda in particular was being "saved" for some story that would spin out of the "Pretender" business (otherwise I don't see why they'd have kept turning down pitches to use her during the run-up to her show). It certainly felt like Hickman was setting up something, though he might have been vague about exactly what it was going to be.

I used to think they were going to un-retcon the retcon and then got cold feet because of the MCU, but after Franklin Richards was declared to be not a mutant, I decided that probably wasn't going to happen (because whatever caused the Wanda/Pietro retcon is clearly still going on). Whatever it was going to be, it feels like it's something that got lost due to Hickman cutting his run short.

Hickman's "Empyre" story ended by hinting that Wanda would die ("Unless, of course, you can't live with yourself... unless, of course, you won't"), and it feels like they ended up making it into a small X-Factor murder mystery, only to then make it big at the last minute.
    Leah Williams: Using the Scarlet Witch as an example… her Jewish and Romani ancestry is a big part of those data pages and what I am looking at for how her magic comes out of her. Jewish mysticism is really important for what’s going on with her in Trial of Magneto.

Connor: I noticed that and have really appreciated it as the erasure of Wanda’s Jewishness is very upsetting to me as a Jewish reader… I have appreciated the emphasis on them being Magneto’s children regardless of any other considerations. They are his. They are a family.

Leah Williams: Completely.

Connor: I think that is important so I have noticed the Kabbala stuff.

Leah Williams: Good, I am glad to hear it. To me something that comes naturally to the characters. The output of their magic is going to resemble their identity, their culture and training and experiences. With Wanda she has got her heritage and her history and magical training at this point… we are going to be pushing that (the magic) to its furthest additive conclusion. Its not destructive like we have seen in the past. Its additive she is in control.

she dont says they are not magnetos kids.

Does anyone see ANY of that stuff in the actual story that we've been reading? I've noticed nothing referencing her Romani heritage, let alone a Jewish or Kabbala connection. And that "we're additive, not destructive" mantra is common since the relaunch and its never actually meant anything. Its just buzzwords

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Does anyone see ANY of that stuff in the actual story that we've been reading? I've noticed nothing referencing her Romani heritage, let alone a Jewish or Kabbala connection. And that "we're additive, not destructive" mantra is common since the relaunch and its never actually meant anything. Its just buzzwords
    To play devil's advocate, Leah has pretty much said that powers above her changed her story.

That's all lip service. They never made Wanda Jewish in comics. They made her Pagan. The closest they came was making her Mag's daughter but then they retconned that out. And even then that only made her of descent and it wasn't anything they ever put to page.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I understand that editorial changes messed with Leah's plans, but I would hope that if its really that important at least some of what she said would still end up on paper.

I do feel that berating 80s Wanda or Past!Wanda for M-day is screwed up and make those that do look like idiots. I didnt like it when Bendis tried on Jeen in ANXM and I dont like it here.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.