Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I have mixed feelings about Pietro when it comes to his relationship with Magneto because of course what Magneto did at the end of HoM was unnaceptable, despite the cricunstances but for me a comic book fan who read about Magneto and Pietro relationship in the 90´s this moment was as occ as Magneto´s and Lorna´s fight during Trial of Magneto, the main difference being that HoM moment was a little better written than Lorna and Magneto´s fight.

That said I think I can add a little into what exactly Magneto meant with the "You used me" from Bendis original story. At the time of HoM, there was subplot over Excalibur title by Claremont in which it was explained Wanda and Magneto´s powers merged during her treatment at Genosha, her power represented the possibilities, what could be, while Magneto´s powers represented what it is, the physical world, which made her powers more real and more able to manifest on a greater range but also harder for her or Xavier to control. The life force was not yet part of the story, so to create HoM Wanda didn´t just use her own powers, she used also Magneto´s energy and Professor X telepathy to change everybodys memories but also subscounsiouly gave or awakened Layla Miller´s powers because a part of her didn´t agree with what they were doing. So when Magneto talked about Pietro using him and Wanda he was talking about at the time.

Now on Pietro´s and Magneto´s relationship in the 90´s was a lot closer and you could even argue he was his only confirmed child as far as marvel was concerned or at least the one closer to him because Wanda spend her time over avengers titles with the sole exception of Dark Seduction. At the time, Magneto asked Amelia Vogh to protect Pietro during his attack on earth during the War of Magneto story and after that during Pietro´s stay on Genosha, he even named Pietro´s one of Genosha´s diplomatics to the UN a role that Pietro took seriously.

Magneto didn´t have strong feelings Pietro would ever see things his way and during Dark Seduction he saw Pietro bringing the avengers to Genosha more like his Son bringing his annoying friends to the country than a betrayal and he expected Wanda, Pietro and Lorna to oppose him getting his full powers back as well, in fact he talked about him using this opportunity to bring back his powers as his last chance to reconcile with his children and he did it still for, in his mind at the time, the chance of a mutant nation. So Magneto very much was used to be the villain in his children´s stories and this was referenced later by Bendis on HoM, when Magneto sees his decision on DS as a prologue to choosing mutankind over his family and losing both anyway because Genosha was still destroyed, this is also referenced by Pietro during his talk with Wanda, it wasn´t Ultimate universe being referenced, it was that moment.

Pietro and Magneto relationship was not good, you could call it more like a chessgame between them in which the other one is always expecting the other shoe to drop but they still cared for their mutual well being, still their relationship was way better than HoM and posterior stories suggested, I don´t see that Magneto killing Pietro. So I agree marvel writers often don´t consider how damaging their stories can be to the characters relationships going forwards but more so in this case where they don´t even try to fix some of the damage and that´s a shame. I don´t think we can have a more genuine Magneto´s family story if the writer doesn´t addresses all of this instead of adding more to the damage, like Leah did with Lorna and Magneto.

After Trial of Magneto if marvel say Magneto´s family will never meet again, I would believe them because this is how broken things are between the characters, so much that even Wanda and Magneto´s hug feels empty because there has not been a story leading to it. I liked Wanda and Magneto´s hug and I guess Issue #5 will explain a little more what´s going on but I can´t enjoy it fully after all the occ moments we have seen from Magneto and the other characters so I hope at least this gives us an end to the decimation issue because it sure doesn´t works as a magneto family story or even as a magneto trial story. So I hope it at least gets to undo the decimation issue.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 12-04-2021 at 11:34 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Pietro and Magneto relationship was not good, you could call it more like a chessgame between them in which the other one is always expecting the other shoe to drop but they still cared for their mutual well being, still their relationship was way better than HoM and posterior stories suggested, I don´t see that Magneto killing Pietro. So I agree marvel writers often don´t consider how damaging their stories can be to the characters relationships going forwards but more so in this case where they don´t even try to fix some of the damage and that´s a shame. I don´t think we can have a more genuine Magneto´s family story if the writer doesn´t addresses all of this instead of adding more to the damage, like Leah did with Lorna and Magneto.

After Trial of Magneto if marvel say Magneto´s family will never meet again, I would believe them because this is how broken things are between the characters, so much that even Wanda and Magneto´s hug feels empty because there has not been a story leading to it. I liked Wanda and Magneto´s hug and I guess Issue #5 will explain a little more what´s going on but I can´t enjoy it fully after all the occ moments we have seen from Magneto and the other characters so I hope at least this gives us an end to the decimation issue because it sure doesn´t works as a magneto family story or even as a magneto trial story. So I hope it at least gets to undo the decimation issue.
    If one believes or not Pietro's using Magneto in HoM would be enough to set him off into unthinking rage I will say they should not pull the trigger on such things unless they are willing to deal with the consequences for the characters involved and they weren't interested in dealing with the consequences.

The characters are in a deconstructionist spiral where one writer after another further deconstructs the relationships for drama points and we get to the point whereas you said the nice moments like that hug ultimately feel hollow and unearned. One has to balance the absolute taking apart of relationships and smashing them for drama points with the building up of relationships or you have nothing to work with. Building is hard, destroying is easy.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-05-2021 at 08:02 AM.

baumblume

that this was all not Pietro's fault, Pietro was reacting, he wasn't setting out to hurt people like the Avengers/X-Men who all decided that they had to kill Wanda. He and Wanda are victims of the Avengers/X-Men's choices, But you know who has never been blamed or done anything about this? The ones who wanted to kill Wanda, their FRIEND, because they were afraid of her. Erik also has some blame because of his inaction to stop them, prompting Pietro to ask her to change the world, and also because he killed Pietro

baumblume

I have mixed feelings about Pietro when it comes to his relationship with Magneto because of course what Magneto did at the end of HoM was unnaceptable, despite the cricunstances but for me a comic book fan who read about Magneto and Pietro relationship in the 90´s this moment was as occ as Magneto´s and Lorna´s fight during Trial of Magneto, the main difference being that HoM moment was a little better written than Lorna and Magneto´s fight.

That said I think I can add a little into what exactly Magneto meant with the "You used me" from Bendis original story. At the time of HoM, there was subplot over Excalibur title by Claremont in which it was explained Wanda and Magneto´s powers merged during her treatment at Genosha, her power represented the possibilities, what could be, while Magneto´s powers represented what it is, the physical world, which made her powers more real and more able to manifest on a greater range but also harder for her or Xavier to control. The life force was not yet part of the story, so to create HoM Wanda didn´t just use her own powers, she used also Magneto´s energy and Professor X telepathy to change everybodys memories but also subscounsiouly gave or awakened Layla Miller´s powers because a part of her didn´t agree with what they were doing. So when Magneto talked about Pietro using him and Wanda he was talking about at the time.

Now on Pietro´s and Magneto´s relationship in the 90´s was a lot closer and you could even argue he was his only confirmed child as far as marvel was concerned or at least the one closer to him because Wanda spend her time over avengers titles with the sole exception of Dark Seduction. At the time, Magneto asked Amelia Vogh to protect Pietro during his attack on earth during the War of Magneto story and after that during Pietro´s stay on Genosha, he even named Pietro´s one of Genosha´s diplomatics to the UN a role that Pietro took seriously.

Magneto didn´t have strong feelings Pietro would ever see things his way and during Dark Seduction he saw Pietro bringing the avengers to Genosha more like his Son bringing his annoying friends to the country than a betrayal and he expected Wanda, Pietro and Lorna to oppose him getting his full powers back as well, in fact he talked about him using this opportunity to bring back his powers as his last chance to reconcile with his children and he did it still for, in his mind at the time, the chance of a mutant nation. So Magneto very much was used to be the villain in his children´s stories and this was referenced later by Bendis on HoM, when Magneto sees his decision on DS as a prologue to choosing mutankind over his family and losing both anyway because Genosha was still destroyed, this is also referenced by Pietro during his talk with Wanda, it wasn´t Ultimate universe being referenced, it was that moment.

all he wanted was for his friends not to kill his family

I am not blaming Pietro, I am just talking about their previous relationship and the circunstances in the story before HoM.

Magneto was going to fight the Avengers or whoever came for Wanda anyway, it was what he told Xavier when he brought Wanda to Genosha and I think that´s the reason they also brought the "The Sentry" they expected Magneto to put up a fight, that´s very in character for him. He just wanted pietro to understand that even if Magneto fought the avengers, that would not help wanda state,because her mind would still be in a bad shape and they had not way of knowing what was happening to her. In fact, marvel didn´t quite reveal how she got better after HoM, besides becoming amnesiac for a time, another plot hole we could see marvel address.

RCO007_1466352829 (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    If one believes or not Pietro's using Magneto in HoM would be enough to set him off into unthinking rage I will say they should not pull the trigger on such things unless they are willing to deal with the consequences for the characters involved and they weren't interested in dealing with the consequences.
    Exactly

The characters are in a deconstructionist spiral where one writer after another further deconstructs the relationships for drama points and we get to the point whereas you said the nice moments like that hug ultimately feel hollow and unearned. One has to balance the absolute taking apart of relationships and smashing them for drama points with the building up of relationships or you have nothing to work with. Building is hard, destroying is easy.

Yes and it´s even harder when writers make stories with zero building and it´s all about destroying previous characterization.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 12-05-2021 at 09:44 AM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto is swole as hell in that first scan.

Quote Originally Posted by The Agent of Chaos View Post
    Magneto is swole as hell in that first scan.
    Yes he´s, that was how he was drawn in the 90´s and the beggining of 00´S and this not even him at his most swole

baumblume

Wanda should have hugged Pietro when she came back, not Magneto
    >Hopefully Quicksilver disappeared because of bad writing/editing, not because he's the murderer.

baumblume

The best part is that "It not being her fault" is kinda canon thanks to Hickman's HOXPOX it literally means that the trio of Magneto, Moira and Xavier deliberately caused M-Day to help radicalize mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by baumblume View Post
    The best part is that "It not being her fault" is kinda canon thanks to Hickman's HOXPOX it literally means that the trio of Magneto, Moira and Xavier deliberately caused M-Day to help radicalize mutants.
    M-Day didn´t happen in all of Moira´s lives, in fact she didn´t mention it on any of them so I guess that event is just part of 616 universe but after the event yes, it made sense for the X-men to form a united front given the circunstances, first on Utopia and later on Krakoa. Now I don´t agree with all Hickman has done with the story but I think this part makes sense for them given the context and Magneto planned to rebuilt Genosha after it was destroyed by Cassandra Nova anyway, with or without the X-men help.

baumblume

M-Day didn´t happen in all of Moira´s lives, in fact she didn´t mention it on any of them so I guess that event is just part of 616 universe but after the event yes, it made sense for the X-men to form a united front given the circunstances, first on Utopia and later on Krakoa.
    it happen in one Moira´s lives and she has irene adlers diaries

Irene diaries have to be interpreted first. The only one who can read them without issue Is Destiny herself.Even Mystique has bien wrong about their prophecies more than once.

baumblume

Wow that **** is canon

The diaries? Yes they are canon.The fact they are hard to understand Is canon as well

baumblume

Hickman's HOXPOX means magneto knew about house of m and did not prevent it