Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default New Mutants #23 - What lurks in the shadows

Summary:

The issue opens with the Lost Club (Gabby and company) coming across the New Mutants and Amahl passed out within the Wild Hunt. Combining the abilities of Rain Boy, Cosmar and No Girl, the team manages to enter into Amahl's Astral Plane in search of the New Mutants.

At the same time, the new Mutants remain in the constant death battle loop that Amahl put them in last issue, however as Magik, Rahne and Proudstar get prepared to fight Brood for yet another time, Dani and Xian notice a psychic ripple that the Lost Club has created and using their powers manages to warp the new Mutants to the impossible maze that the Lost Club is trapped within.

At the same time, via data page, we discover that the Shadow King does in fact still exist, however not as a true entity, but as a suggestion in Amahl's psyche, a tug of war of his consciousness that he is losing to.

The new Mutants and the lost club begin arguing back and forth about what should be done about the Shadow King until Gabby manages to defuse the situation and gets them to focus on the most immediate issue, escaping the impossible maze. This eventually leads to magik pulling rank as she's the one who is most adept at dealing with such realms.

However, before Magik can make a move to break them out of the maze, Rahne turns on the group, the Shadow King's influence having not actually been completely removed earlier and she forces the group back before escaping.

Magik with the help of Dani and Cosmar manages to create a new Mutant circuit known as Astral fusion which transforms the trio into a literal Seraphim that can oerfectly break through all of Amahl's Astral Plane until they find him specifically being guarded by Rahne.

The infighting returns as Magik prepares to kill Amahl and in that short time Amahl manages to transform himself, turn Rahne into a giant werewolf and trap the New mutants in solo duels with what he perceives to be their greatest fears.

While the Lost Club are transformed into Kaiju to fight the new Giant Rahne, the new Mutants manage to easily defeat the fear manifestations.

Whilst the Lost Club continues to fight Rahne's Wolf Pack mutations, No Girl manages to help turn one of the Rahnes but before she can do much, she goes to Amahl's defense as the new Mutants surround him, however Dani finally manages to break Rahne of Amahl's control and with the help of Cosmar, the Magik pushes through Amahl's final psyhic defense and destroys the Shadow King once and for all.

The issue ends with Thew New Mutants standing over a crying broken Amahl, trying to come to terms with all the pain he's caused.

Final Personal thoughts:

This issue is GORGEOUS, there are several absolutely gorgeous pages and panel transitions.

Also Astral Fusion is EASILY the best looking Mutant Circuit.

Art aside, i also think it's a wonderful conclusion to this arc and does a lot of reflection on several of the characters including Farouk as it reaches the climax.

Mighty Member

This fusion is unreal

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That circuit moment is reminiscent of Steven Universe fusions...and I'm here for it!!!
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Just an amazing read. The Marvels gets my book of the day but this is a very very close second. There were a few inconsistencies in the art that took me out at some points but this was overall a very beautiful book and Vita has yet to disappoint me on the new mutants.

My ONLY disappointment with this issue is i over thought the fusions and was really hoping No Girl kept her body and Cosmar did as well as i figured do to the fusion healing it would make sense given Gabby power and the fact that they were constantly regenerating that No Girl would grow a new body and cosmar would heal to how she was intended to look. I was so enthralled with the idea i looked for any holes like if Karma leg didn't heal but they never fused in the same way using Rain Boy so it was a non issue and would then not have created a problem if they returned looking that way in the real world. Perhaps they will do the union in the real world as theoretically it should be possible which would also truly get the notice of Xavier and the healing gardens, a literally regeneration pool. This was lowkey high concepts done very very well.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    This fusion is unreal
    Ever played Dead Cells?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Ever played Dead Cells?
    yes, I have also read the bible, the Goetia and Dante's Inferno, what of it?

Astonishing Member

yes, I have also read the bible, the Goetia and Dante's Inferno, what of it?
    Can't help but feel it looks like a cool Dead Cells boss fight. A mirror version of the protagonist who somehow managed to possess the body of a beheaded seraphim. Which might diminish the "wow" effect on me.

I guess the head is supposed to be a reference to Ophamin though.

Honestly, I found the issue pretty boring. After a while, I was just sort of skimming because it was just so much crammed into it. I'm just so ready for this arc to be over, I don't care about the fights and exposition. The fusion was super cool, though.

I kept thinking the "scenes" were just pages they didn't have time to create because of issues behind the scenes, because they were crucial and didn't need to be presented in that format. The meeting with the Lost Club and New Mutants was especially bad, since without the visuals to back them up, it felt like all the characters spoke the same way. They felt generically millennial, is that makes sense? The New Mutants chat during the Hellfire Gala was a bit like that, but at least each character was able to display a strong personality and had a unique voice.

The Krakoan at the end reads "WHAT IS DESERVED."
    2024: The Year of Hellion

My only “gripe” was that the data pages felt like scenes that just weren’t drawn, but if that resulted in the beautiful art we got then I can’t blame them. Felt like this was a good conclusion to the arc and I’m said this book keeps getting the brunt of the delays.

Extraordinary Member

Thank god this story is finally over. It'll be difficult to wait till February for the wrap-up and then April for the next story-arc, but at least this first arc is finally through after over a year.

On its own merits I think the issue is one of Ayala's better ones. But it does feel like the plot totally shifted from the previous issue. Last issue the New Mutants go to Farouk and talk with him instead of attacking him, they get into a philosophical debate about the nature of Krakoa and the need to always be a predator or end up as prey, and he puts them in endless combat scenarios to prove his point. This issue that entire debate is abandoned, and it's replaced with a different debate about finding the good in someone like Farouk and helping him despite everything he's done. I would have preferred the New mutants winning the argument they'd been having and showing Farouk the error of his ways instead of simply exorcising the source of evil from him and blaming everything on an entity possessing him.

Astonishing Member

This was so good.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Thank god this story is finally over. It'll be difficult to wait till February for the wrap-up and then April for the next story-arc, but at least this first arc is finally through after over a year.

On its own merits I think the issue is one of Ayala's better ones. But it does feel like the plot totally shifted from the previous issue. Last issue the New Mutants go to Farouk and talk with him instead of attacking him, they get into a philosophical debate about the nature of Krakoa and the need to always be a predator or end up as prey, and he puts them in endless combat scenarios to prove his point. This issue that entire debate is abandoned, and it's replaced with a different debate about finding the good in someone like Farouk and helping him despite everything he's done. I would have preferred the New mutants winning the argument they'd been having and showing Farouk the error of his ways instead of simply exorcising the source of evil from him and blaming everything on an entity possessing him.
    Hmmm good point. It’ll be interesting to see how these read back to back.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 12-01-2021 at 01:18 PM.

Mighty Member

I doubt the Farouk situation is done until the last issue of this arc which is 24.

Also pretty sure the thing is that the idea is that Shadow King isn't really there, at least not in the way he's usually there

Incredible Member

I doubt the Farouk situation is done until the last issue of this arc which is 24.

Also pretty sure the thing is that the idea is that Shadow King isn't really there, at least not in the way he's usually there
    Yeah, I think it was a good way of resolving the idea of whether the Shadow King predates Farouk or was merged with him. The arc has showed that it's been both at the same time.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

The argument they were having is one that simply cannot be won because of it's nature. It's like the one bettween Malcom X and King was. Both were right and both were wrong. Seems the answer is somewhere in middle as they both came to realize before they were killed.