Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    To me it's a little unfortunate that Joker as much as I love him hogs all the lime light and I'd like to see the other rogues get attention. Personally I'd like to see some team ups like in the Burton movies maybe add a darker element and yes I know the movies are not well liked particularly the last two but as a little kid I loved them and as an adult I have a nostagic fondness for them. I like the idea of Riddler and Twoface working together like Twoface using Riddler for his smarts and Riddler using Harvey for his resources. I can see tension stemming from Twoface always using his coin and Riddler having to leave a riddle I think them both getting upset over that would be an interesting dynamic.

I also like the idea of Ivy trying to make power moves in Gotham maybe at first getting control of Bane and turning him into her love slave or whatever and using him for his strength and skills. I also could see her wanting to use Freeze and growing obsessed when he turns out to be immune to her charm. Which could motivate her to off his wife and lie to him about what happened but for Freeze to learn the truth in the end and after getting his wife back punishing Ivy by freezing her. I can also see Penguin blackmailing Catwoman into helping him or something like that.
    When another rouge can sell a book as well as the Joker I am sure they will

Honestly Im tired of scarecrow

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not even King gave Bane the same respect by the end of his run in my opinion, even if it seems like he tried.
    Same respect? Tynion had him killed off panel after his biggest victory. King had him be tricked by Thomas but even then he got the last laugh when he smashed Thomas’s back. Hate what King did with Bane all you want but that’s not the same thing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    This is my line of thinking, when was the last full year without a Joker appearance? That's just in comics. And the way he's been built as THE villain is beyond stale.

I still like The Joker and he's a quintessential cornerstone of the Batman franchise, but ffs give him a rest so we can look forward to him returning and maybe be surprised by what he does.

Honestly, the Bat-office needs some kind of villain check. Scarecrow just had Fear State so now he goes away for a year or two and we cycle in Riddle or Two-Face or Hugo Strange or a Clayface or Cornelius Stirk or Killer Moth or any number of other villains that populate Gotham. Heck, I don't think we've seen Catman since he went all Kraven in Secret Six.

Batman has a HUGE rogue's gallery but even Scarecrow has felt a bit overused since the start of the New 52.
    Fear State wasn't even a good Scarecrow story.
    Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Same respect? Tynion had him killed off panel after his biggest victory. King had him be tricked by Thomas but even then he got the last laugh when he smashed Thomas’s back. Hate what King did with Bane all you want but that’s not the same thing at all.
    I don't know if it was the "last laugh" so much as a last-minute tantrum, but I feel like King kind of just lost sight of Bane even when he was ostensibly priming him as the main villain of his run. But King lost sight of a lot of things.

I don't know if it was the "last laugh" so much as a last-minute tantrum, but I feel like King kind of just lost sight of Bane even when he was ostensibly priming him as the main villain of his run. But King lost sight of a lot of things.
    Thomas made sense as the primary antagonist if you consider that from Tom Kings very first issue Batman is grappling with what would make his parents happy so thematically having him fight that makes way more sense. Yes Bane was primed as the big bad and he operated in that capacity, actually took over Gotham and changed the status for its citizens for a time and still got the last shot in after he was betrayed. But hey if you personally don’t like that it’s fine. I just don’t think you can say King disrespected Bane like Tynion did Joker.

Actually now that I think about it Tynion did something similar with Scarecrow and Peacekeeper 01 that King did with Bane and Thomas but I think Kings execution was better (even though his run was cut short and you could tell he had to wrap things up quickly).

Astonishing Member

I'm not a fan of King's writing, but he definitely treated Bane better.
    On the other side Tynion made the scene, where Joker is trash talking him for half of issue, calling him a failure, neglecting the whole impact Bane made, despite the fact, that he literally broke Bruce twice. And after that Tynion just killed Bane off panel. And not even by The Joker himself, lol.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Fear State wasn't even a good Scarecrow story.
    I'll go you one further and say Fear State wasn't even a good STORY. Period. Just a random mashing of action figures with a vague anti-authoritarian, anti-capitalist hand wave. And Joker War was even worse!

I LOVED Tynion's Detective Comics run but other than Ghost-Maker (who is fun but I could live without) this whole run was a dull, vapid, shallow pile of nothing that felt constantly on repeat.

Fortunately, Something Is Killing The Children is still awesome proving this was just a dud run for him (possibly due to editorial interference/incompetence).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    And not even by The Joker himself, lol.
    That's actually a good point. Did the "who committed A-Day" thing get resolved in Joker? I kinda assumed the joke would be, ultimately, that Joker did actually do it and lied because... something?
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Yup, I am sick to death of Joker. I'd love for DC to do an offbeat Two-Face or Penguin storyline as I've always preferred them better.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

I like the Joker but DC and WB really need to stop front lining him as though he's the only member of Batman's rogues gallery.

Incredible Member

Don't get me wrong, I love Joker (he's my #3 in my overall DC Villains list, beaten only by Darkseid and Black Adam), but I do agree that he has been overused abit too much in the last couple of years. Tyrion did do an interesting take on Joker during "Dark Design" but the main Joker War event was kind of a letdown (his run in a nutshell; interesting build-up, followed by a haphazard event). To me, Joker needs to pulled back to what he was in Grant Morrison's run (where he had a presence, but he wasn't the big bad of the run).

As far as other villains are concerned, I'd rather see more of the organised crime in Gotham City; when was the last time we actually saw more of Gotham's crime gangs at work? See more of Penguin, Black Mask, Warren White, Two-Face and any other current crime boss playing for power.

Quote Originally Posted by spencermalley935 View Post
    dc and wb really need to stop front lining him as though he's the only member of batman's rogues gallery.
    thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!:d

Extraordinary Member

I'll go you one further and say Fear State wasn't even a good STORY. Period. Just a random mashing of action figures with a vague anti-authoritarian, anti-capitalist hand wave. And Joker War was even worse!

I LOVED Tynion's Detective Comics run but other than Ghost-Maker (who is fun but I could live without) this whole run was a dull, vapid, shallow pile of nothing that felt constantly on repeat.

Fortunately, Something Is Killing The Children is still awesome proving this was just a dud run for him (possibly due to editorial interference/incompetence).
    I liked Batgirl vs Seer, She intrigued me the most. I am curious who she was,and what her next moove will be

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I liked Batgirl vs Seer, She intrigued me the most. I am curious who she was,and what her next move will be
    Absolutely. We all know Tynion was set to be one for a long run so characters like Seer (Gardener, Clown Hunter, etc) could have been something interesting but wound up as little more than poorly fleshed out plot devices. It didn't help that on top of everything else the editorial mandate was to lay the groundwork for Future state that was also dropped.

Bottom line, I feel really bad for Tynion (who also got pulled off Detective Comics way before he intended). He's an incredibly talented and imaginative writer and I hope his pay for the run reflects what sounds like a bit of a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Yup, I am sick to death of Joker. I'd love for DC to do an offbeat Two-Face or Penguin storyline as I've always preferred them better.
    Seriously, when was the last arc in a main Batman book (Batman, Detective Comics, etc) that had Penguin as anything other than a supporting character?

Seriously, when was the last arc in a main Batman book (Batman, Detective Comics, etc) that had Penguin as anything other than a supporting character?
    Just a preference and they really need to utilize him more.