Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default 19 Days to Christmas Redux 2015

19 Days to Christmas

2015 - ACTING!!!

From Fantastic Four #147 and #149, Susan Richards leaves Reed after he puts Franklin in a coma to keep his powers getting out of world breaking control. While she's visiting a friend, Namor shows up and whisks her away. The FF think she's been kidnapped so they go to Atlantis and a brawl errupts, which ends with this announcement.

The FF goes home, without Sue, but an issue later, Namor and Sue show up in NYC with an army of kaiju, bent on revenge!

Doesn't sound very heroic of Namor at all, but keep reading ...
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-12-2021 at 03:22 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Default 19 Days to Christmas Redux 2015

Namor (and Sue) are relentless in listing Reed's faults and punishing him ... and Reed seems to take it to heart.

But Ben Grimm questions Sue's heart, and seeing Reed and Namor ...

Still not very heroic of Namor, but then there's the final page reveal ...

This issue say quite a bit about Namor and his abilities, and his compassion, as well as how others perceive him -- something he remarks upon to Thundra in the issue. And none of it is villainous.

Also, it really makes one question Black Bolt's choice to assassinate Namor. So much for old friends.

"None of them suspected it was all an act on my part -- that I never intended to destroy New York or invade the surface world."
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

So this implies that Triton knew Leonard, Namor's father. Was this ever expanded on. Think not.

I'm not so comfortable with Triton being that much older. I think he should be closer to Namor's age perhaps, as Inhumans are long lived they say.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I'm having a hard time remembering or placing this in context. Its DeFalco, but is it before or after Reed was thought dead?
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

Namor is even wondering if he's going to be fighting for the airbreathers!

Stopping the tank from starting a war, but without killing the airbreathers inside. Namor is such a villain! ; p

Through another misunderstanding, Lady Dorma's flag ship gets blown up and everyone thinks she's dead, including Lord Seth, who in his grief for a woman he secretly loves, uses the Horn of Proteus to bring down his vengeance on the airbreathers.

Namor is obviously on the side of peace and no killing, as he saves the US Navy ship from giant sea turtles.

"There must be no killing ... by man or beast!"
    I love the visual of Namor overpowering a tank. That is a common feat of strength from him and the Hulk but of course it looks more impressive in Namor, who has been doing it since WW2.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

So am I understanding the comparison?

Namor has participated in various ruses - two about Reed and Sue

But Black Bolt has done this as well, with Namor.
    I need to know more about all this.
    ~ Oberon ~

Mighty Member

Namor (and Sue) are relentless in listing Reed's faults and punishing him ... and Reed seems to take it to heart.

This issue say quite a bit about Namor and his abilities, and his compassion, as well as how others perceive him -- something he remarks upon to Thundra in the issue. And none of it is villainous.

Also, it really makes one question Black Bolt's choice to assassinate Namor. So much for old friends.

"None of them suspected it was all an act on my part -- that I never intended to destroy New York or invade the surface world."
    These issues are perfect Namor interaction with the Fantastic Four after Franklin Richards! Love it! Bravo!
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    These issues are perfect Namor interaction with the Fantastic Four after Franklin Richards! Love it! Bravo!
    Generally I think of Franklin as being 3-ish at that time, possibly 2 and some months. So freaking weird that he had such immense power. I often wonder if that is why he is not really a mutant, as the status quo now indicates.

He is a mutant's mutant. (or was)
    ~ Oberon ~

Yep. And these two stories where Namor saves Sue's marriage always get ignored by modern writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Generally I think of Franklin as being 3-ish at that time, possibly 2 and some months. So freaking weird that he had such immense power. I often wonder if that is why he is not really a mutant, as the status quo now indicates.

He is a mutant's mutant. (or was)
    At the time of this story, Marvel didn't have the idea of the X-gene. There was a blurring of the line, IMO, between mutant and mutate. But yes, Franklin having his powers well before puberty has always put him in a questionable area regarding his mutant status.

I'm having a hard time remembering or placing this in context. Its DeFalco, but is it before or after Reed was thought dead?
    Right, it is DeFalco, and it was after Reed returned from the 'dead.'
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-12-2021 at 12:33 PM.

I love the visual of Namor overpowering a tank. That is a common feat of strength from him and the Hulk but of course it looks more impressive in Namor, who has been doing it since WW2.

Hmmmm. Now I'm thinking that should be a Namor folder in my collections.

So this implies that Triton knew Leonard, Namor's father. Was this ever expanded on. Think not.

I'm not so comfortable with Triton being that much older. I think he should be closer to Namor's age perhaps, as Inhumans are long lived they say.
    It's a retcon that only appears here, and it doesn't make sense, and I don't care for either. I mean, WHEN was Triton supposed to interact with Leonard MacKenzie??? I don't think that it's ever been stated that Triton is that old in the Inhuman stuff, has it?

So am I understanding the comparison?

Namor has participated in various ruses - two about Reed and Sue

But Black Bolt has done this as well, with Namor.
    I need to know more about all this.
    The one I posted with Triton occurs in the Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee Inhumans mini-series that came out in the late 90s. It's a great read, and highly recommend it.

And yes, oddly, two of these ruses are Namor and Black Bolt collaborating. Which makes the nonsense of Hickman Black Bolt and Black Panther team up backstabbing really strange. Namor and BB have had several interactions. They share the same ancient homeland. Okay, 'share' may not be the exact correct word. ;p
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-12-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Default 18 Days to Christmas 2021

18 Days to Christmas

2021 - WAR HERO

A big part of Namor's past is fighting for the Allies in World War II. He was actually the first Timely character to battle the Nazis in the comiics, even before America joined the war. He has one of the first Timely covers showing their superheroes fighting Nazis.

And then there was the retconned WWII team of the Invaders, where most modern readers are introduced to Namor's actions in WWII.

Last edited by Reviresco; 12-12-2021 at 03:20 PM.

Default 18 Days to Christmas 2021

There's been a few times where the American public has expressed their opinion of Namor, as seen in Avengers 270, when Namor joined the Avengers for the first time. And most of the time, he always supported by American WWII veterans who recognize him as a war hero.

"Once a Vet, always a Vet."

And then there's this Golden Age panel, where Namor's service is recognized by many of the Allied leaders.

Default 18 Days to Christmas Redux 2015

18 Days to Christmas

2015 - War Hero

At least the US Navy recognized Namor as a hero.

And Namor recognized the real heroes, the men who perished at Pearl Harbor, 80 years ago today.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-12-2021 at 03:22 PM.

YAY! These issues always had a special place in my heart!! The artwork, coloring and words were just....indescribable!

I REALLY thought Sue was going to go off with Namor....until Ben's inspiring words. I believe they are what got thru to Sue at last and made the difference.

They loved hard....fought hard....talked hard....then loved hard again.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!