Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Default Invincible (Animated Series) vs Baran (Dai no Daibouken)

I'll be upfront on this, I have been fighting the urge to make a battle of the bad dads with killer moustaches but, even if I use the comparatively weaker animated version of Omniman, Baran is not really in his weight class in a reasonable capacity.

But his son however? He's a much better challenge for the Dragon Knight.

Location: A deserted version of Night City from the Cyberpunk tabletop setting.

Scenario 1: Baran starts in his human form.

Scenario 2: Baran starts in his Ryuumajin form.

In both instances he has the Demon Dragon Blade in prime condition.

Mark gets access to all his feats from the first series of the Invincible animated series.

Who wins? Good son or bad dad?

I appreciate Baran is a bit niche so I'll post some feats:

Ryuumajin Baran vs Dai Part 1

Ryuumajin Baran vs Dai Part 2

Annoyingly the cut between these two parts omits a section wherein Baran blasts a hole in a mountain with his crest beam from his forehead.

Human Baran nukes a kingdom

Beats the heck out of Hyper Demon Hadler

Hadler himself is strong enough to put Dai through several rock spikes the size of small buildings

Effortlessly flattens Crocodine and Hyunkel in a few hits, demonstrating blink movement. Both Crocodine and Hyunkel being firmly superhuman.

Beats the piss out of Crocodine in human form, demonstrating superspeed movement and combat.

Will post more later on.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 12-02-2021 at 04:07 AM.

Incredible Member

Based on the names I honestly thought "Dai no Daibouken" was a Sentai series.

I don't watch either series but I'll say Invincible wins.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 12-02-2021 at 10:56 AM.

While this didn't get many responses, I figured I'd give my take because it's a good match and I was thinking about it again today.

So, this is a bit of a fun one. Baran has speed, skill, range game and experience to his credit. Mark has strength and durability to his. There's a bit of a question if a legendary weapon like the Demon Dragon Blade coated with Draconic could cut a Viltrumite's skin.

Dai showed the peak of a Dragon Knight cutting ability when he cut Kigan-jou (giant walking stone castle/mecha) in half and, if anything, Baran was more powerful than Dai was at this point.

Putting aside the blade stuff. Baran can toss out energy beams that can blow chunks out of small mountains with little apparent effort and, if he gets space to charge it, his strongest move Doruora can obliterate an entire island. Animated Mark is very tough but he can't ignore these hits.

On the flipside, if Mark tags Baran, my view is that he's strong enough to breach Baran's Draconic Aura and hurt him directly, even in Ryuumajin form, which would be bad for the Dragon Knight. Baran wants to play keepaway and use his superior range but the issue is that he can't just throw spells forever. Dai no Daibouken is actually pretty good about keeping track of stamina and the like and even Baran, with his overwhelming strength, has limits.

I suppose, if something like Gigabreak can cut Mark, then Baran can win it like 7/10. If it doesn't, then he's going to have to rely on beams, spells and his lesser strength. It's going to be a long one but I'd... tentatively back Mark like 6/10.

Ah, found a short compilation containing the moment with the forehead beam that damages a small mountain. It's worth noting that Dai smacked it away so Baran should be capable of the same as they are broadly in the same league.

But yeah, that's my take. Let this thread go to the depths now.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I still don't know anything about the characters, but figured I'd comment on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Location: A deserted version of Night City from the Cyberpunk tabletop setting.
    *thumbs up* ^_^ Surprising!
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I still don't know anything about the characters, but figured I'd comment on this.

*thumbs up* ^_^ Surprising!
    Genuinely was struggling for a location that had tall places that wasn't my usual go-tos of Tokyo or Manhattan but also wasn't real life.

Genuinely was struggling for a location that had tall places that wasn't my usual go-tos of Tokyo or Manhattan but also wasn't real life.
    It's just funny you went with CP TTRPG (rather than the video game). I didn't even know you knew that existed.

What edition? CP 2013? CP 2020? Or CP RED? ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    It's just funny you went with CP TTRPG (rather than the video game). I didn't even know you knew that existed.

What edition? CP 2013? CP 2020? Or CP RED? ^_^
    I only know of it, never plated it myself. -__-

If i may interject, Night City had some great supplements detailing the city, and the DataFortress fan site created several more supplements.

The map of Night City itself is based on San Francisco. Great setting, ran a cyberpunk cops game set in the city years ago.

Off-Topic, away!

I only know of it, never plated it myself. -__-
    Pity. Was a pretty fun system.

Cyberpunk was the original game, set in the year 2013. Obviously as we approached 2000 and they wanted a second edition, they needed to move that a little, so it became CP 2020.

Recently they put out an all-new version of the game with completely changed rules and a hugely altered setting, what goes by Cyberpunk RED. I actually don't like it - the rules are blah, lacking the grit and feeling more like a video game (huge surprise as it's a tie-in with the video game), and the setting itself misses the 'Cyberpunk' feeling of the genre, being more a cross between the old setting (same world, just in the future) and post-apocalypse.

Doesn't have the same mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    If i may interject, Night City had some great supplements detailing the city, and the DataFortress fan site created several more supplements.

The map of Night City itself is based on San Francisco. Great setting, ran a cyberpunk cops game set in the city years ago.
    I never actually ran anything in Night City, though I've played in a fair amount.

I ran a Tokyo game (started pre-Tokyo/Pacific Rim supplement, so my own version) for about five years, and a Vancouver game (again, my own version, and this time with slightly modified rules for minor psychics) for about two. Fun stuff.

Forgot about Night City being San Fran.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 12-15-2021 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Yeah, off topic.
    Why are we here?

In terms of raw firepower Baran has the advantage. The big question is how you interpret their speed. Invincible has some feats that have fairly crazy implications for his speed, like being able to accurately catch a ball that goes around the planet in 12 seconds. He may also believably scale to Omni-Man on that front, given that while he's weaker than his father they're not shown to be leagues apart in speed.

If you go by the high-end interpretations of his speed he should be comfortably faster than Baran, which won't end well for the latter.

On the other hand if you go by his more consistent of speed of not really having any super reflexes of note I tend to think that Baran crushes him fairly easily, albeit he's likely to be tired afterward due to how many big attacks he'd need to take him down.

Ironically I don't think Baran being transformed or not matters much for this. It makes him a lot stronger and more durable, but it doesn't really change his speed any as far as I can recall.
    Last edited by Siriel; 12-15-2021 at 03:42 PM.

Thank you for the take Siriel, you were the main audience I was thinking of when I made this thread haha

I would have checked in sooner but this month has been doing a number on my free time I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    I would have checked in sooner but this month has been doing a number on my free time I'm afraid.
    Christmas time, eh? Supposed to be the 'most wonderful time of the year'. Often ends up being the most stressful.

Joyeux Noël!
    Why are we here?