Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Amazing Spider-man 80.BEY Preview with more Otto

Astonishing Member

Well, they look horny

ben rolling in his grave again
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Soon enough strange activity is gonna be detected in Uncle Benīs grave and people are gonna dig it up to discover him spinning around like crazy

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

So as an aside, I really hope this Beyond arc ends with May relearning that Pete is Spider-Man again. I know complaining about OMD is beating a dead horse at this point, but everything with Kindred ending with a sad trombone noise rekindled my feelings of just how underutilized May has been since BND. Like in a way, it feels like she was used even less in the comics despite OMD's big academic thesis being how May is the most important person in Peter's life lol

And erasing May's memories was the second dumbest thing to come out of that story.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Peter is in the title page blurb again. I have a feeling he’ll wake up from his coma in this issue.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

It's amazing if you try to look at the accumulated baggage May has through her life as a character. She went from the well meaning but fragilized (with very good reason) mother figure, that could be a little windheaded now and then, to more or less "tough with an attitude" during the JMS run (which worked for her, sure), to going back to well meaning and kind of airheaded during BND and Slott, to kind-of-there-and-sometimes-stern during Spencer's run, and now we have "sharp witted with a retort on the tip of her tongue at every turn" May literally playing Otto's funnybits against him.

I know it's how cape comics work, and that different authors have different takes on characters. Call it my old age, but I just can't suspend my disbelief for that anymore as in "but that's the same character!". It ain't, and when it can only be excused with "different people are writing it", well, that's kind of a bad bar for fiction to set.

Hopefully Anna Maria doesn't get unintended second-hand jealousy out of this if anyone remembers the character exists any time. After all their history is... complicated, let's put it that way.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    So as an aside, I really hope this Beyond arc ends with May relearning that Pete is Spider-Man again. I know complaining about OMD is beating a dead horse at this point, but everything with Kindred ending with a sad trombone noise rekindled my feelings of just how underutilized May has been since BND. Like in a way, it feels like she was used even less in the comics despite OMD's big academic thesis being how May is the most important person in Peter's life lol

And erasing May's memories was the second dumbest thing to come out of that story.
    All of this. And you'd think her arc with developing cancer in Tom Taylor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man would lead to more development for her as a character, as well as her role in the Last Remains aftermath with Martin Li coming to her for help after being cleansed of Mister Negative. Alas, no. It's like "May being the real most important person in Peter's life" was just a hollow justification for OMD's primary, if not sole, goal --- get rid of Mary Jane Watson and Peter Parker's marriage to her, consign it (and her) to the dustbin of comics history, to be forgotten about and written out. Yeah, I'm still bitter.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

This feels like a Betty Brant arc, and since the Bugle is going down I'd like that.Anyway hopefully it's not Ock discovering what happened that we know but something we don't as well.Although .BEY issues aren't essential reading so it's likely not.

Also really hope May's just leading him on.

And I wish a May focused arc would focus on how much she did for the community and how they all help her out in return.Ofc Marvel feels "hot" innuendo play is better than an actual character dive...

(sarcasm but not really lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Can I join him?
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 12-02-2021 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    So as an aside, I really hope this Beyond arc ends with May relearning that Pete is Spider-Man again.
    Yeah, it's time for the elephant that was awkwardly brought back into the room to finally leave it.

It's completely selfish and OOC for Peter to keep her in the dark at this point.

This relationship is so wrong on so many levels. But I can't wait to see it.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Yeah, it's time for the elephant that was awkwardly brought back into the room to finally leave it.

It's completely selfish and OOC for Peter to keep her in the dark at this point.
    Cosigned.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    This relationship is so wrong on so many levels. But I can't wait to see it.
    At the very least, the salt will flow quite well.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Glad they're giving May some agency here, though.

Extraordinary Member

Has May ever met Janine?

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Glad they're giving May some agency here, though.
    Agency may be a strong term, she's just reached out to Otto and "flirting" w/ him.Hopefully we can see her using her FEAST contacts or even just call up Mr Negative to get help, if she needs some underworld info.

Not to mention they had MJ say she tried everyone but the FF(who know Peter's Spider-man) are available, so it doesn't add up continuity wise as well.

(I'm not trying to be hostile btw, saying this in a joke-y tone)

Also a stupid idea but seeing May get her own set of Ock arms could be cool.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 12-03-2021 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Has May ever met Janine?

Agency may be a strong term, she's just reached out to Otto and "flirting" w/ him.Hopefully we can see her using her FEAST contacts or even just call up Mr Negative to get help, if she needs some underworld info.

Not to mention they had MJ say she tried everyone but the FF(who know Peter's Spider-man) are available, so it doesn't add up continuity wise as well.

(I'm not trying to be hostile btw, saying this in a joke-y tone)

Also a stupid idea but seeing May get her own set of Ock arms could be cool.
    Agency is her making her own decisions and taking matters into her own hands. Even if she needs help, it's still her *decision* to seek that help and set these acts in motion. I wonder if Beyond will try to hurt May? it's definitely something we know that can set Otto off. It'd be just like Otto if the token he gave her was also some kind of device that'd let him keep an extra eye on her. I don't think FEAST or Mr. Negative would be appropriate choices here.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 12-04-2021 at 02:59 AM.