Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I'm unsure if I want to get the Danny untold GR tale mini or wait for the Trade.
    Yeah! All things considered, I simply loved seeing The Spirits of Vengeance (Ketch & Blaze) together again

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-04-2023 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Spectacular Member

That part in particular reminded me why I used to enjoy 90s GR and Blaze's relationship... only to end up growing apathetic with it once I realized how Mackie and later Velez never really made it deeper than that sometimes respectful, sometimes hostile dynamic they were stuck in. Rinse and repeat. Mackie never even truly established if Ketch was indeed having an influence on "Noble Kale" or was it just the spirit remembering some kind of inner humanity it may or may not have had. It's a big pile of shame, but that was how the 90s, and Mackie in particular, tend to operate . Too many set ups to hook readers with, too little actual payoff.

Astonishing Member

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/APR230733

next week preview of Ghost Rider Danny Ketch. oh man, this looks good, Blackout, and later scene, Ghost Rider just finished using the penance stare on KKK members is something I love seeing.

Spectacular Member

lol Caretaker's line. Did Howard Mackie just lowkey mocked his own corny writing of GR? Gotta give the man kudos for continuing to be self-aware and making a self-deprecating joke at his own limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Pretty much everything about Zarathos and what the Spirits of Vengeance even are has been retconned and retconned to the point where none of it is remotely consistent anymore.

Also, Mackie retconned Danny's spirit being Noble Kale in an issue of Spider-Man. The spirit said that he wasn't Noble, they'd be lied to and "the truth is not yet known."

John was bonded to Zarathos again in Ghost Rider: Crossroads but it went dormant at the end when Danny returned because there was a rule in place allowing only one GR at a time. So John turning back into GR in the Hammer Lane mini made sense.
    that was an editorial mandate
    http://vengeanceunbound.blogspot.com...90-93.html?m=0

the he wasn't Noble thing, they'd be lied to and "the truth is not yet known." it is an editorial mandate

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Healthy doses of Danny Ketch in the current run + his current limited series "lost tale". This sits well with me as Danny is my GR.

I read Danny Ketch Ghost Rider #2 last night. For me it is hitting a number of nostaliga beats. Curious if this new head henchman The Broker is going to show up later in the current GR book. We still really don't know how The Broker exudes enhanced gifts to those chosen that agree to the terms.

As for upcoming issue #15 of the ongoing I hope Infernal Labs has purged The Spirit of Corruption. I was frustrated at that creative decision for Danny. Go get a new host. Now let Danny get back to being a SoV!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Healthy doses of Danny Ketch in the current run + his current limited series "lost tale". This sits well with me as Danny is my GR.

I read Danny Ketch Ghost Rider #2 last night. For me it is hitting a number of nostaliga beats. Curious if this new head henchman The Broker is going to show up later in the current GR book. We still really don't know how The Broker exudes enhanced gifts to those chosen that agree to the terms.

As for upcoming issue #15 of the ongoing I hope Infernal Labs has purged The Spirit of Corruption. I was frustrated at that creative decision for Danny. Go get a new host. Now let Danny get back to being a SoV!
    Agreed. The latest issue of "the lost tale" of Dan Ketch: Ghost Rider was most enjoyable...

Can't wait for the next issue with Ketch & Blaze: The Spirits of Vengeance together again VS. The Scarecrow (XD)

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-23-2023 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Spectacular Member

Two issues into this DK mini and already I can tell that this is going to be a very formulaic Howard Mackie plot with a very formulaic conflict. Blackout and Scarecrow make trouble, Dan and John's loved ones get caught in the crossfire, a new, pseudo-mysterious foe added with maybe some cryptic connection to GR except either we never actually get to learn what this "connection" is about, or it's just some mundane nothing-burger in the end. Ah well, that's what these nostalgia minis are all about, so Mackie's doing good in that regard.
    Last edited by Chain and Pain; 06-24-2023 at 10:39 AM.

Spectacular Member

Just finished reading Issue 15 of Ben Percy's run. Surprisingly decent and ended on an emotionally uplifting note despite once again failing to deliver on the fights. Didn't even get a single panel of confrontation between JB and Dr. Diyu, though seeing the madwoman get her comeuppance through more poignant means felt almost just as good. I found it both interesting and odd how Johnny's Spirit of Vengeance and Danny's Spirit of Corruption are treated like they're more or less cut from the same cloth, even sharing a sort of "spiritual connection" despite being different entities from different planes of hell. Ah well. I suppose Ed Brisson never really delved much into the disparities between SoVs and SoCs, so if Percy wants to make them very similar to each other, I can role with it. All that matters is that Johnny and Dan are happily reunited now, and with Dan's SoC looking much closer in design to an SoV.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

My gripe with issue 15, and I've not really had any with this series till now, is that it resolved nothing. Danny is still anchored to the Spirit of Corruption.
    It was an interesting, if anti-climatic, way that Dr. Diyu got her just desserts. I strongly suspect we've not seen the last of her.
    I await the story that re-sets Danny to his proper place as a SoV, till then there is next month AND the Danny Ketch mini-series.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

This run is so good, but it just can't seem to stick its landings. This is the second time we got an anti-climactic ending that made much of what happened before feel semi-pointless.

Spectacular Member

Frankly, I couldn't care less whether Dan sticks with the Spirit of Corruption or gets another SoV. Besides, does it even matter at this point? Guy once again looks like a Ghost Rider, acts like a Ghost Rider, and is even CALLED a Ghost Rider in-story. It ain't like Marvel even cares to stick to one explanation about the nature of the SoVs, so rather than waste our time with more dumb excuses to get these hosts back to square one, I'd much rather have Percy continue to expand on this new element that makes SoVs and SoCs very similar. Maybe an SoC really is just a variant of an SoV anyway, and can morph entirely into an SoV if the host wills it enough. Regardless, I look forward to the upcoming center focus on Talia Warroad and hopefully, other supporting characters from Johnny's history. Dan can stay on the sidelines for a while to recuperate or something.

My gripe with issue 15, and I've not really had any with this series till now, is that it resolved nothing. Danny is still anchored to the Spirit of Corruption.
    It was an interesting, if anti-climatic, way that Dr. Diyu got her just desserts. I strongly suspect we've not seen the last of her.
    I await the story that re-sets Danny to his proper place as a SoV, till then there is next month AND the Danny Ketch mini-series.
    Most well put, Captain Craig! I also came to the same conclusion after the latest installment.
    If Ketch has yet to reunite with The Spirit of Vengeance, then I'll have to settle for Mackie's lost tale/mini-series for the time being (sigh):

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-06-2023 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.