Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

While far from perfect, I found the Weapons of Vengeance mini more enjoyable than Mackie's throwback comic. It had clearer direction, tighter focus, a more interesting plot, and better written characters overall. Percy did a good job of portraying a believable camaraderie between Blaze and Logan rooted on mutual understanding and respect, something I always felt was lacking between Blaze and his relationship with "Noble Kale" or even Danny himself. It helped that both villains and supporting characters were kept to a minimum, consisting only of two and twos, instead of Mackie's bloated mess. As usual, Percy's villains came off as rather undercooked, but I felt Bram and Bagra-ghul's story was better handled compared to say, Exhaust, or that fat slob from Mackie's book. It's pretty obvious that Bram was meant to be a mirror character to both Logan and Johnny: being a guy who not only failed to control his darker urges (unlike Logan), but embraced the worst of himself rather than making any effort to try and be a good person despite the pain and burden he's been saddled with (unlike Johnny when he was bound to Zarathos at his worst). Overall, not bad. Geoff's art was pretty good too. Helped set the dark and moody tone.
    Last edited by Chain and Pain; 09-07-2023 at 03:44 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chain and Pain View Post
    While far from perfect, I found the Weapons of Vengeance mini more enjoyable than Mackie's throwback comic. It had clearer direction, tighter focus, a more interesting plot, and better written characters overall. Percy did a good job of portraying a believable camaraderie between Blaze and Logan rooted on mutual understanding and respect, something I always felt was lacking between Blaze and his relationship with "Noble Kale" or even Danny himself. It helped that both villains and supporting characters were kept to a minimum, consisting only of two and twos, instead of Mackie's bloated mess. As usual, Percy's villains came off as rather undercooked, but I felt Bram and Bagra-ghul's story was better handled compared to say, Exhaust, or that fat slob from Mackie's book. It's pretty obvious that Bram was meant to be a mirror character to both Logan and Johnny: being a guy who not only failed to control his darker urges (unlike Logan), but embraced the worst of himself rather than making any effort to try and be a good person despite the pain and burden he's been saddled with (unlike Johnny when he was bound to Zarathos at his worst). Overall, not bad. Geoff's art was pretty good too. Helped set the dark and moody tone.
    Nothing to say, tbh. All of the above is pretty spot on.

Spectacular Member

Another thing I enjoyed about Bram, besides the narrative contrast to Johnny and Logan's characters, is how he came across as a realistic and believable villain, at least for me. No mustache twirling, no sociopath-since-birth characterization, but just horrible life circumstances and a coward's refusal to try and take control over his own life when he was given an opportunity that ultimately made him a despicable person. Bram is like that bullied kid from your neighborhood, raised by misguided/shitty parents who never taught him right from wrong, who then grew up to be a down on his luck loser, started taking drugs, became a repeat offender, and refused to stay clean when he had the chance. I sympathized with him, but at the same time agreed that it was for the best that he be condemned to hell.

Spectacular Member

I think I'm starting to get what Percy has in mind for Talia. A love interest who can actually relate to JB's lot and understand him in ways that Roxanne never could (or Stacy towards Dan). Both Blaze and Talia are victims of Mephisto's schemes -- people who never wanted to be part of the hellish world, but cannot escape it no matter how hard they tried, so now they're making the most out of the hand they've been dealt with, living the best way they can. I dig it, tbh. Stacy's relationship with Dan gradually became toxic and downright unbearable due to their inability to understand or relate to each other in any way. Roxanne was never really able to keep up with John outside of that "normal, happy life" pipe dream of theirs. So what kind of person does a bearer of the Rider curse need to keep themselves mentally balanced for the long haul? Someone who threads the same paths they go to. Someone like Talia.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Cult of Mephisto
    Frankly I'm surprised we've never had such a cult explored before(or have we, I'm 47 maybe I've forgotten). While soooo many GR, Hellstrom, Darkhold etc themed books have had Devilish Cults as antagonists I don't ever recall a specific one for Mephisto until now. The way I read this backstory on Talia is that even before she was a young teen and got more fully involved(it seems by accident) she was connected to the supernatural. She was seeing/hearing things that others couldn't. The argument could be possibly made from this one story that she is sometype of lightning rod and that the Cultish teen boy was drawn to her?

Looking forward to next issue even more now. A well placed backstory issue on Talia after over a year with her in a support role.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

another fun, weird dark issue. Good to see Talia's back story. Ghost Rider is my #2 title at Marvel right behind Moon Knight.

I agree and I'm not reading many books.
    Various reasons so I stick to the more B/C list titles for my limited reads. They need the sales data much more than one more on ASM or Avengers.

Moon Knight
    Ghost Rider
    Blade

Enjoyed the Werewolf by Night one-shot with Elsa Bloodstone and looking forward to this years installment of Crypt of Shadows.
    Looking forward to Spine-tingling Spider-man. How is Spidercide going to be used??
    Wish we had a good Deathlok, Darkhawk or Man-Thing title.

Amazing Member

This book has been a real treat, I also stick to b/c listers so I hope they're not cancelling this book.
    Just went through a cancellation scare when the Death of Moon Knight news first came down
    For Marvel I'm down to Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, and Spider-Woman when it starts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Wish we had a good Deathlok, Darkhawk or Man-Thing title.
    I know, right?! I'd even settle for more Howard the Duck (XD)

Spectacular Member

Preview of GR Annual 2023: Ghost Rider vs The Hood

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/09/29/ma...r-annual-2023/

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chain and Pain View Post
    Preview of GR Annual 2023: Ghost Rider vs The Hood

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/09/29/ma...r-annual-2023/
    I kinda wish to know what they are hinting with Elsa dealing with Johnny for the second time since Damnation.
    Seeing that Talia lost herself for a moment because of her presence, it seems that the bloodstone is also related to Spirits of Vengeance and Mephisto.

More Elsa. Never a bad guest star.
    She also just showed up in that Werewolf by Night one shot a few weeks back.

Amazing Member

Has anyone got their hands on the Annual yet?

it came out today

Amazing Member

Finally got to read the comic
    And i must say, if they plan on having the Hood as a recurring villain for Johnny, let it happen.

Hood would be the first to embrace any deal mephisto gives to him as Steve Levin Jack O'Lantern did back at Casualties of War when he was possessed by one of Lucifer's fragments