Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/12/02/ma...ghost-rider-9/

So is this Zarathos talking to Talia in this preview

Spectacular Member

Marvel seems to keep flip-flopping these days between using the name "Zarathos" or just an unnamed spirit to refer to Johnny's current SoV. That aggressive, unfriendly attitude does sound like Z, but Zarathos never cared for innocent lives and he certainly never acted possesive of Johnny, let alone care about him. Whoever this flamehead is, I'm very reluctant to call him/it "Zarathos" unless stated otherwise, and Percy hasn't used the name yet.

who is Talia?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    who is Talia?
    She's a new character introduced in the run. She's an FBI agent who used to be an occult expert for SHIELD. She teams up with Johnny at some point.

Spectacular Member

Something I find very interesting about this Spirit of Vengeance is how... fiercely protective it is of Johnny, it seems. As Blaze himself observed in past issues, the SoV keeps going out of its way to find a safe enough place for him to wake up to every time it goes back to dormancy. The only time it left Johnny stranded in the middle of a dangerous road was when Ringmaster attacked them with his hypnosis spell, weakening the spirit until it finally collapsed and forced back into Johnny. Could just be pragmatism on its part, but one thing's for sure, this SoV hates the idea of something or someone coming between it and its host, and so lashes out at Talia as well, almost like its paranoid that she might also do something "funny" with Johnny like what Blackheart did.

Spectacular Member

9 issues in and we're still barely scratching the meat of this story, but Smith's artwork alone is stellar enough to keep me buying. His GR design is easily becoming my new favorite, so here's hoping he stays for the rest of the run. It's unfortunate that Percy's writing style is so slow that his characters still aren't defined enough for me to get fully invested in them, but I like how he seems to be building up Johnny finally learning to embrace his darker side and form a genuine, strong bond with his current SoV, something that's been sorely missing from the character since his reintroduction into the role.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I am looking forward to seeing what Danny will be like when he shows up a bit later.
    I did read that correctly in a previews, right?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member

They better explain how he somehow became a GR again judging from the solicit. Or better yet, explain how exactly Blaze and Ketch became GRs again. I've long theorized that SoVs never really leave their hosts and that a small part of them always remains even after seemingly being "purged". Like Zarathos never really was Johnny's SoV the way Eli Morrow never really was Robbie's, but just an extra parasitic soul that latched onto the Spirit and tried to corrupt it. Hell, they might as well give the same explanation with Noble Kale. Have it so that Johnny, Danny, Robbie, and even Kushala are all simply possessed by primordial spirits that don't have clearly defined personalities of their own but simply entities that operate on what they're meant to do: avenge the innocent - including their hosts in great times of need. Simple and effective way to get rid of all the convoluted nonsense, while also paving the way for the hosts to really shine and become the true protagonists of their own stories rather than fall back down the same, narratively stale rabbit hole where they're either reduced to struggling, self-pitying victims (Zarathos era Blaze) or bland nobodies who don't really add anything interesting to the table except family melodrama and rubbing medallions like a good, obedient host body (Noble Kale era Ketch).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chain and Pain View Post
    9 issues in and we're still barely scratching the meat of this story, but Smith's artwork alone is stellar enough to keep me buying. His GR design is easily becoming my new favorite, so here's hoping he stays for the rest of the run. It's unfortunate that Percy's writing style is so slow that his characters still aren't defined enough for me to get fully invested in them, but I like how he seems to be building up Johnny finally learning to embrace his darker side and form a genuine, strong bond with his current SoV, something that's been sorely missing from the character since his reintroduction into the role.
    yeah Smith artwork sure does sell the horror show we saw as a Chicago subway been turn into a human butcher shop by random demons. I always wonder how something like this kept going on and didn't attract any other superhero attention. Hell, even if it wont do much, how the hell this many missing people in a subway being slaughter not get the attention of any form of enforcement, human or superhuman. I guess it wont be a Ghost rider series if you see the Avengers giving attention to that even if Thor would one shot every demon in that slaughterhouse.
    Last edited by Rzerox21xx; 12-12-2022 at 04:26 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    yeah Smith artwork sure does sell the horror show we saw as a Chicago subway been turn into a human butcher shop by random demons. I always wonder how something like this kept going on and didn't attract any other superhero attention. Hell, even if it wont do much, how the hell this many missing people in a subway being slaughter not get the attention of any form of enforcement, human or superhuman. I guess it wont be a Ghost rider series if you see the Avengers giving attention to that even if Thor would one shot every demon in that slaughterhouse.
    Yeah, Smith's perfect for the role, dare I say just as good if not even better than Javier Saltares from the 90s run, especially with the way he draws human faces. He understands horror imagery and knows how to execute them well, especially his always creative GR transformation sequences. Although flawed, something I genuinely appreciate with Percy's writing is how he - in my opinion - manages to capture the closest to perfect tone and atmosphere that works for Ghost Rider. The character has always been made for horror, something that no other run tried to embrace so closely before. How he builds up and puts emphasis on GR's importance in maintaining the 616 verse's upkeep, particularly Johnny and his nomadic lifestyle. Because no famous spandex-wearing superhero out there even steps out to patrol the less travelled corners of civilization, instead being content to defend only the big, populous cities from blatant inter-universal threats (Thanos, Knull, Kang, etc.) which in turn leaves everything else open for the nasty abominations lurking in the shadows to creep in and spread their influence like a great plague -- right under everyone's noses. It's a hauntingly disturbing and very believable threat, and one of the main reasons I continue to be so intrigued by this book despite its flaws. This is how the modus operandi of Legions of Hell should be depicted in the MCU, for it is how their place in the world functions best.
    Last edited by Chain and Pain; 12-12-2022 at 08:03 PM.

Since the game's been out for a while I see no reason to put spoil tags, if anyone's played Midnight Suns, do they explain why Johnny looks like Carter Slade there. Before Robbie shows up, Iron Man and Doctor Strange reach out to Johnny and he has long gray hair and doesn't transform into Ghost Rider, but still carries a flaming shotgun. Do they explain why he looks that way or does he just happen to be old in that version.

Spectacular Member

Looks like they just slapped together Johnny and Caretaker's (namely the Sam Elliot version as an aging, formerly active GR) roles and combined them into one character in that MS game.

Astonishing Member

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/01/06/ma...host-rider-10/

I wonder if Percy or Smith were Chainsaw man fans when writing and drawing this. I recalled early in Aaron's GR run Johnny making a hellfire Sickle
    Last edited by Rzerox21xx; 01-06-2023 at 02:52 PM.

Spectacular Member

It's possible. Chainsaw Main IS all the rage right now, after all. Definitely a must for fans of action/horror, which Percy and Smith most certainly are. Looks like Johnny's back to finally being in control again (noticeable by how GR says the sarcastic line, "but I've got the chainsaw.") About bloody time, I say. Ngl, seeing him attach the weapon to his chain and sweeping through the demons with it looked really badass thanks to Smith's awesome artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    https://aiptcomics.com/2023/01/06/ma...host-rider-10/

I wonder if Percy or Smith were Chainsaw man fans when writing and drawing this. I recalled early in Aaron's GR run Johnny making a hellfire Sickle
    Honestly when I was watching Chainsaw Man I was oddly reminded of Ghost Rider.