Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chain and Pain View Post
    Marvel seems to keep flip-flopping these days between using the name "Zarathos" or just an unnamed spirit to refer to Johnny's current SoV. That aggressive, unfriendly attitude does sound like Z, but Zarathos never cared for innocent lives and he certainly never acted possesive of Johnny, let alone care about him. Whoever this flamehead is, I'm very reluctant to call him/it "Zarathos" unless stated otherwise, and Percy hasn't used the name yet.
    Pretty much everything about Zarathos and what the Spirits of Vengeance even are has been retconned and retconned to the point where none of it is remotely consistent anymore.

Also, Mackie retconned Danny's spirit being Noble Kale in an issue of Spider-Man. The spirit said that he wasn't Noble, they'd be lied to and "the truth is not yet known."

John was bonded to Zarathos again in Ghost Rider: Crossroads but it went dormant at the end when Danny returned because there was a rule in place allowing only one GR at a time. So John turning back into GR in the Hammer Lane mini made sense.
    Last edited by Refrax5; 01-08-2023 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Pretty much everything about Zarathos and what the Spirits of Vengeance even are has been retconned and retconned to the point where none of it is remotely consistent anymore.

Also, Mackie retconned Danny's spirit being Noble Kale in an issue of Spider-Man. The spirit said that he wasn't Noble, they'd be lied to and "the truth is not yet known."

John was bonded to Zarathos again in Ghost Rider: Crossroads but it went dormant at the end when Danny returned because there was a rule in place allowing only one GR at a time. So John turning back into GR in the Hammer Lane mini made sense.
    OMG! Still remember Ghost Rider: Crossroads for the artwork of Cary Nord.
    The majority won't agree, but I've always liked it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    OMG! Still remember Ghost Rider: Crossroads for the artwork of Cary Nord.
    The majority won't agree, but I've always liked it.

Yeah, I always thought it was a really cool story and really underlined how vicious Zarathos was compared to the more heroic spirit that Danny was possessed by.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post

Which is why I've mostly stopped caring about the nature of the Spirits themselves and more interested/hoping that the writers give more serious efforts in making the host characters more interesting and layered. At this point, I frankly couldn't care less about which SoV possesses who and would be more than happy if Marvel just left it at "primordial spirit with no set personality of its own". Percy's writing, while slow and dragging at times, is making the right call by focusing on Johnny's own character development. I really hope it doesn't fall down Mackie's tired gimmick of "who is the SoV possessing him?" with the Ketch books, so here's also hoping that Percy will do more or less the same method with Danny once he's reintroduced. Both Blaze and Ketch are in serious need of a solid new direction and an intriguing status quo shift because all of the past materials simply don't hold up anymore, and I also hope they don't end up becoming like what Aaron's doing with Robbie Reyes, who's more of a deus ex machina plot device than a character at this point as of Avengers Forever.
    Last edited by Chain and Pain; 01-08-2023 at 10:32 PM.

Astonishing Member

Anyone read the new Ghost Rider issue, its a fine damn good issue, for bloody and core and yeah once again its kinda far fetch that Blackheart has this influence around the country with human butcher shops with trunk in highways with people in it without attracting any super hero attention. but I guess he made sure he stay away from the Northeast. the way GR slaughters demons with his chainsaw definitely bring back the nod to Berserk or Chainsaw man. Talia possession was fight off thanks to Johnny, they also fight Exhaust and he retreat and that Magician guy try to fight Blackheart and Blaze came to his aid, Blackheart retreat has his influence spread cross country through governments and corporations. Chicago is safe from occult influence now Blaze and Talia has to go cross country. Talia was let go by the FBI only that her supervisor as she leaves go to a government lab with a woman experimenting on demons and with Danny Ketch strapped to a chair. end, this really feels like a callback to Aaron late 00s run.

Spectacular Member

Okay... not gonna lie, this is hands down turning into the most intriguing GR book I've read since forever. There's still some hiccups, like the fights against Blackheart and Exhaust could've gone longer and more epic, not to mention lacking in resolution on Exhaust's part, though I reckon he'll probably pop up again sooner or later. But the character development of Johnny Blaze sealed the real moment of awesome in this book for me. Finally, FINALLY. This is the Blaze I've always wanted to see since he first returned as GR: in control, being a certified badass, and very much in tune with being Ghost Rider. My gosh. To think it took more than 20 years to arrive to this development after the godawful Hammerlane mini. But oh well, better late than never. Thank you, Mr. Percy. Now hopefully, he can pull off the same or at least similar magic with Dan after all is said and done with whatever's going on with him, atm. For what it's worth, I can buy the idea that Blackheart was able to amass this level of corruption if they later establish (and it does look like that's what they're going for) that he wasn't the only Hell Lord in on this. One of the main themes of the book is about "learning to rely on others for help" after all, so I reckon that doesn't just apply to John, Talia, Dan, and the other good-ish guys here, but also the villains. I think the likes of Lilith, Belasco, etc. may soon be popping up to pick up where Blackheart left off, if not even help him get back up again.
    Last edited by Chain and Pain; 01-11-2023 at 12:10 PM.

Astonishing Member

Okay... not gonna lie, this is hands down turning into the most intriguing GR book I've read since forever. There's still some hiccups, like the fights against Blackheart and Exhaust could've gone longer and more epic, not to mention lacking in resolution on Exhaust's part, though I reckon he'll probably pop up again sooner or later. But the character development of Johnny Blaze sealed the real moment of awesome in this book for me. Finally, FINALLY. This is the Blaze I've always wanted to see since he first returned as GR: in control, being a certified badass, and very much in tune with being Ghost Rider. My gosh. To think it took more than 20 years to arrive to this development after the godawful Hammerlane mini. But oh well, better late than never. Thank you, Mr. Percy. Now hopefully, he can pull off the same or at least similar magic with Dan after all is said and done with whatever's going on with him, atm. For what it's worth, I can buy the idea that Blackheart was able to amass this level of corruption if they later establish (and it does look like that's what they're going for) that he wasn't the only Hell Lord in on this. One of the main themes of the book is about "learning to rely on others for help" after all, so I reckon that doesn't just apply to John, Talia, Dan, and the other good-ish guys here, but also the villains. I think the likes of Lilith, Belasco, etc. may soon be popping up to pick up where Blackheart left off, if not even help him get back up again.
    Belasco popped up in Black Cat and Mary Jane limited series and treated as a joke.

Spectacular Member

Could still work. I mean, Blackheart outside of GR books is constantly treated as a joke too but that doesn't stop him from being an imposing threat when a writer actually wants him to be. Belasco had some unrealized plans along with Lilith from the Ed Brisson run so if Percy wanted it, he could still utilize them to his own story.

Mighty Member

This was a weird issue indeed. If this was the end of the book, I'd be disappointed. Ghost Rider is cursed with runs with weak endings, and this would be one of them. It would have been a great journey, easily my favorite Ghost Rider book since Aaron's, but I would have been pretty deflated with how rushed this conclusion is. However, it isn't the end of the run, and yet that's scary too because most of the book as we know it has been wrapped up as far as it's major conflict and themes. It's practically rebuilding from the bottom all over again, which would be just great...if "part 2" was allowed to be completed before cancellation, but Ghost Rider is cursed with runs with weak endings BECAUSE of constant cancellations. I sure hope we get to see this one all the way through.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    This was a weird issue indeed. If this was the end of the book, I'd be disappointed. Ghost Rider is cursed with runs with weak endings, and this would be one of them. It would have been a great journey, easily my favorite Ghost Rider book since Aaron's, but I would have been pretty deflated with how rushed this conclusion is. However, it isn't the end of the run, and yet that's scary too because most of the book as we know it has been wrapped up as far as it's major conflict and themes. It's practically rebuilding from the bottom all over again, which would be just great...if "part 2" was allowed to be completed before cancellation, but Ghost Rider is cursed with runs with weak endings BECAUSE of constant cancellations. I sure hope we get to see this one all the way through.
    I mostly agree, though I wouldn't say it's practically rebuilding from the bottom. Blackheart may have kickstarted the whole Shadow Country conspiracy, but it's this conspiracy itself that Percy has been steadily building up as the greater, collective threat that Johnny and friends have to face in the long term. I just hope Percy learns to better pace his story from now on. There were quite a lot of unnecessary events along the way, especially that throwaway race just to have an excuse to have a crossover issue with Wolverine, stuff that could've instead been better utilized towards more build up with Johnny, Talia and Zeb's camaraderie, and the fight against Blackheart and Exhaust. We need less filler issues and more steady build up.

Spectacular Member

https://www.cbr.com/ghost-rider-wolv...geance-marvel/

Well... at least now we know why that oddly placed Logan event happened in issue 5 and 6. I guess I don't mind. GR getting more love and attention outside his own series always sounds good (albeit many of them sucked, but this one actually sounds like genuine appreciation and care for the character is being put forth), and it may end up being interesting. I admit I'm genuinely curious who this "shared past enemy" between Johnny and Logan is.

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic...ghost-rider-13

Also, gotta love Dan's new look (minus the brainwashing goggles). Looks like he's back to being GR again while perhaps retaining some of the essence of the Spirit of Corruption, judging from the green flames. Makes him and Johnny distinctive while still retaining the iconic image of GR. Certainly MUCH better than that ugly knight suit from Brisson's run.
    Last edited by Chain and Pain; 01-19-2023 at 11:48 PM.

https://www.cbr.com/ghost-rider-wolv...geance-marvel/

Well... at least now we know why that oddly placed Logan event happened in issue 5 and 6. I guess I don't mind. GR getting more love and attention outside his own series always sounds good (albeit many of them sucked, but this one actually sounds like genuine appreciation and care for the character is being put forth), and it may end up being interesting. I admit I'm genuinely curious who this "shared past enemy" between Johnny and Logan is.

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic...ghost-rider-13

Also, gotta love Dan's new look (minus the brainwashing goggles). Looks like he's back to being GR again while perhaps retaining some of the essence of the Spirit of Corruption, judging from the green flames. Makes him and Johnny distinctive while still retaining the iconic image of GR. Certainly MUCH better than that ugly knight suit from Brisson's run.
    In case some of you aren't familiar:

Spectacular Member

I know there's GR fans out there who hate the idea of him being integrated more into the larger Marvel universe outside his supernatural horror corner, but personally I'm intrigued by this. Remnants of the Weapon X program wasn't my first choice of imagination, but it does make sense that they would be interested in exploring outside the box in their endless need for creating the ultimate living weapon, even if it means cobbling through the forces of Hell itself. And I can only assume that Blackheart's Shadow Country initiative had something to do with this sudden surge in interest within these mad scientists.

As long as they don't turn Blaze into John Constantine, it's fine to interact more with characters outside of his own corner. Besides Robbie is already in the Avengers so Marvel clearly isn't keen on keeping the Ghost Riders in their own corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    As long as they don't turn Blaze into John Constantine, it's fine to interact more with characters outside of his own corner.
    Completely understandable. Still like the trench-coat, though...

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-21-2023 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.