Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    The big question is why in the heck does marvel think it is so impossible to have 2 Novas or multiple Novas? Heck they have 2 Cyclops running around right now, 3 different spider men have ongoing, 2-3 hulks who knows its not that big of a deal to have Rich out there.
    It only placates a small number of readers who barely outnumber what Sam is currently selling.

Beyond that, Sam's got multimedia exposure due to the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon. It's also quite possible that nobody made a pitch that warranted bringing Rider back from the dead.

Also, the Hulk comparison is kind of moot at the moment as Banner's going about depowering other gamma-radiated characters.

At the end of the day, Rich will return and it will be glorious but probably still not maintain sales above 30K.

At least the Nova mythology is still relevant in the MU, unlike a certain cosmic defender from Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by agrich View Post
    5. Low sales
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=25584

Interview with Quesada where he says this was not the full case

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    Probably due to the fact that this was done mostly for the sake of the newer readers that aren't familiar with most of the 'older' (and more established) characters that been around within the totality of the 75 Years of history within the MU.

Plus the fact that Marvel Comics has always (more or less) endorses changes within both their characters and their series.
    I'm not sure I track you here. How is it any different than Miles Morales? In terms of marvel's track record...they have also been much cooler about legacy heroes than say DC.. not saying there has not been some drama (and exceptions), but gimmicky Legacies is more or less a recent thing at the house of ideas. its stil different than killing characters as well...its the killing and REPLACE character that has everybody freakin out..in the case of Steve Rogers..yeah based on marvel history this is going to happen and sure enough be undone..we can set our clocks to it...but there are exceptions to this, sometimes characters just go away forever. (Genis-Vell , etc) Its important Rider fans speak up so this doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    It only placates a small number of readers who barely outnumber what Sam is currently selling.

Beyond that, Sam's got multimedia exposure due to the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon. It's also quite possible that nobody made a pitch that warranted bringing Rider back from the dead.

Also, the Hulk comparison is kind of moot at the moment as Banner's going about depowering other gamma-radiated characters.

At the end of the day, Rich will return and it will be glorious but probably still not maintain sales above 30K.

At least the Nova mythology is still relevant in the MU, unlike a certain cosmic defender from Wisconsin.
    With the added movie publicity, and guessing what the sales would be in a whole different tone for an adult Rider book, its hard to say. Rider was a guy who had a steady 30k seller for 25 issues or so. People were buying things like Annhilation and TI were selling 50 or 60k....when you look at how well things like Thanos Rising and Rocket Raccoon have sold I basically disagree with you...but its subjective. Of course having the confidence in the strength of Rider's character I would bet he still just had not reached enough readers and would have caught on like wildfire eventually to equal a top 25 seller. That's my view on Rich...not so much Sam- but Ed McG and Medina sure can draw!

As for hulk, I didn't mention about 5 or 6 other duplicate characters as well...and when you add in characters with female versions (She Hulk, Spider Woman), it gets to be a long list! BTW none of them are members of a "Corps" either.

DC maintained about 6 viably characterized GL corpsman at any given time...when they embraced this is when the product finally took off...
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 08-28-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Any news on a Nova omnibus or "Complete Collection" like GotG just got?

Abnett and Lanning, that is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    That's a bit subjective, isn't it?
    Its been hovering in the 20000-25000 range for most of the year despite the pushes in events and tie ins. It actually lost a couple thousand readers on its major Original Sin tie in. Its consistently one of Marvel's worst five selling books. New Warriors, which also features Sam, was another worst 5 selling book and has been cancelled. I'm not being subjective, I'm just looking at facts based on sales.

BANNED

If my wildest dream concerning Rich comes true then we'll see him again in a few years.

I'm hoping that part of the plot of GoTG 2 involves Xandar forming the Nova corps. They'll use their infinity stone to power them and we'll get some sort of small cameo involving Rich joining the corps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Who really Killed Richard Rider's Nova version ?
    Ms. Scarlet, in the Solarium, with the pipe wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    This.

Which is why even after this GoTG arc wraps up I don't think we'll see Rich RIDER (Its with an I Bendis) anytime soon in mainstream 616. Until Marvel finally accepts that no amount of pushing is going to make the turd of book that is Nova starring Sam a good seller they have to keep Rich away.
    I suspect though that the decision is out of Marvel's hands. I'd bet good money that one of the upcoming projects is a Nova movie and that the lead is Sam Alexander. There's a certain sense to that too as Sam's got less back history and an origin story that fits a lot of the MCU flavor. Not to mention, there's a lot in Guardians that would mesh well with Sam's backstory.

I will admit though: Not a fan of Sam. I'd rather see Richard's star rising in the MCU.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrTraveler View Post
    I suspect though that the decision is out of Marvel's hands. I'd bet good money that one of the upcoming projects is a Nova movie and that the lead is Sam Alexander. There's a certain sense to that too as Sam's got less back history and an origin story that fits a lot of the MCU flavor. Not to mention, there's a lot in Guardians that would mesh well with Sam's backstory.

I will admit though: Not a fan of Sam. I'd rather see Richard's star rising in the MCU.
    I don't see them making a movie with a teenager in the lead. There is also a lot more to work with with Rich.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    Heck they have 2 Cyclops running around right now
    There are actually 3 Cyclopses running loose. There's the Black Cyclops from an alt-universe walking 616.

But yup. No reason not to have multiple Novas. Especially Frankie Raye.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I really do not dig the new Nova.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Whatever, probably just as well that Loeb didn't get his hands on Richard Rider. After Loeb's work on ultimates, I don't have much faith in his ability to write characters he hasn't created himself.

I liked the way Rider went out facing off with Thanos. I'm sure he'll return at some point but there's no big hurry from my perspective.