All-New Member

Default Hi Just Looking For Some Direction

Doing this for a friend. He has this TALES OF SUSPENSE #39 1ST IRON MAN ungraded and is curious if theres a place online that might be able to ballpark what it is worth from the pics. Any help would be appreciated. Thanksir2.jpgir3.jpgir4.jpg

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Hi.....I will give you a few suggestions.

One place you could look is MyComicShop.com and search for those comics. It's easy to create a login and there is no obligation. I've never sold anything there but it's one legitimate option to use even if you just want to get a ballpark figure on the comic.

What you could also do is to check on eBay to see if any of those issues have shown up in an online auction but I wouldn't sell there. You could get lowballed.

I looked up Tales of Suspense #39 and depending on the grade, which is a 1 to 10 scale IIRC that is used for any comic book sale, it can go for 10,000 to 12,000. So I would proceed with caution and only deal with legitimate dealers.

I would also try posting on the forum for collectors here...maybe you'll get some answers from collectors who've dealt with selling their comics. Link: Collected Edtions and Classic Comics forum
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-04-2021 at 01:28 AM.

I'd just look into getting it graded.

It's not cheap, but it could be the difference between hundreds and thousands of dollars.

Hello. I will offer and share what I know....and not to add any negativity into it, but it is not always as lucrative as everyone thinks and says.

Here are just a few pointers to keep in mind, but still go ahead and sell your comics:

I have helped a few friends who literally have tens of thousands of comics from 1960-onward. We have sold them on EBay, the site mentioned above, private collectors, stores and elsewhere.

Everyone tries to lowball the comic(s) in question, even to "see" book defects where there are none.

Something else that took a while to actually hear from someone----as if it was some secret---is that the buyers want to mark up the comic. But not 20% or 30% or even 40%, they usually want to mark it up 5X on average! For example, if you have a comic worth $1,000.00, they will offer somewhere around $200.00. When asked why such a low price, those that answer will usually say "there is a glut in the field on this comic/issue/title", "I have no less than 50 copies of this sitting still", "no one is buying this old issue anymore and it will be hard for me to move it", siting book defects that are not present, etc. They may even rarely state they cannot buy it for $1,000.00 and then sell it for $1,000.00.

That said, have your friend try to sell the comics. Perhaps you will do better. Just wanted to give you another side that is rarely mentioned, even on here when people ask about selling. Hope it helps. Good Luck!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!