Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Well, if we don't adjust for inflation, then we have to conclude the most popular films of all-time all occurred in recent years. Obviously, that's kind of ridiculous.
    True, there's really no way to fairly compare movies from the early days of Hollywood to more recent ones. Inflation, ticket sales, nothing really works. Movies back then had many rereleases because there were no television showings or other methods. Maybe comparing actual number of ticket sales back then to everything including DVD sales. But even that doesn't work. Once someone buys the DVD. there's no way to track how many times they watch something or with how many other people.

I prefer to just say that "Gone with the Wind" is THE movie of Hollywood's Golden Age and nothing can ever topple it because nothing new can be fairly compared to it. It's sort of like the best hundred yard dash record will stand forever because they are not run anymore. They are now hundred meter dashes.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think there is a legitimate question to be asked here: Does DC like Batman more than other characters? Does that play a role in why he is used more than any other character?
    I mean, I’m sure they like Batman in that he makes them a lot of money. I don’t think they dislike Superman.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    True, there's really no way to fairly compare movies from the early days of Hollywood to more recent ones. Inflation, ticket sales, nothing really works. Movies back then had many rereleases because there were no television showings or other methods. Maybe comparing actual number of ticket sales back then to everything including DVD sales. But even that doesn't work. Once someone buys the DVD. there's no way to track how many times they watch something or with how many other people.

I prefer to just say that "Gone with the Wind" is THE movie of Hollywood's Golden Age and nothing can ever topple it because nothing new can be fairly compared to it. It's sort of like the best hundred yard dash record will stand forever because they are not run anymore. They are now hundred meter dashes.
    Yep. Gone With the Wind is the king, bar none. Any other movie you can mention with the past 120 years is just a pretender to the throne.

EDIT: For analyzing the popularity of films from different periods, the best method would be to compare each film to that era's average box office take. I would also factor in the standard deviation of the time so as dominant movies don't have an unfair advantage due to the weaker status of the industry of that era.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Yep. Gone With the Wind is the king, bar none. Any other movie you can mention with the past 120 years is just a pretender to the throne.

EDIT: For analyzing the popularity of films from different periods, the best method would be to compare each film to that era's average box office take. I would also factor in the standard deviation of the time so as dominant movies don't have an unfair advantage due to the weaker status of the industry of that era.
    Eh I don’t think that was their point. They’re saying that just as gross totals are higher now, inflation totals make certain older movies higher than they should. They’re saying that Gone with the Wind was the movie of the Golden Age but inflation can’t just be translated simply like that

For me personally, no movie that was massive in only two countries (US and UK) can be considered the biggest movie of all time. Yeah films weren’t as globalized back then but that’s just part of the game. At the end of the day, people in developing countries never saw that movie. Something like Titanic or even Avengers: Endgame is straight up more popular. More tickets sold and that’s without being in theaters for years and being on DVD/streaming quickly after release

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Eh I don’t think that was their point. They’re saying that just as gross totals are higher now, inflation totals make certain older movies higher than they should. They’re saying that Gone with the Wind was the movie of the Golden Age but inflation can’t just be translated simply like that

For me personally, no movie that was massive in only two countries (US and UK) can be considered the biggest movie of all time. Yeah films weren’t as globalized back then but that’s just part of the game. At the end of the day, people in developing countries never saw that movie. Something like Titanic or even Avengers: Endgame is straight up more popular. More tickets sold and that’s without being in theaters for years and being on DVD/streaming quickly after release
    Another way to phrase it: what percentage of the potential audience saw it? How many of the people who could have seen it actually did? When looked at that way globalization sometimes makes the numbers go down by drastically increasing target audience, but in a scattershot way that means a large chunk will just ignore it.

Whatever statistical analysis you use, if it doesn't have a balanced mix of films from all eras of cinematic history, then it's completely worthless. Using an unadjusted list of movies by gross falls under the latter. If you disagree, I don't know what more I can say then.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I mean, I’m sure they like Batman in that he makes them a lot of money. I don’t think they dislike Superman.
    Now Titans on the other hand…

People are laser focused on Superman but there’s a bunch of other characters who have risen and fallen hard as well.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    The character lends itself to the more 'mature' themes of gun violence in America, mental health, issues of abandonment etc.
    I think this is VERY important, because it means that you can tell many different types of stories with Batman, and you can tell them from many different angles; it really helps break up the "hero chases villain, punches him out, and saves the day" template that is so easy to fall into with pop culture superheros who have been around for so many decades and who don't always seem to have many new stories left to tell (at least not within mainstream continuity).

Whatever statistical analysis you use, if it doesn't have a balanced mix of films from all eras of cinematic history, then it's completely worthless. Using an unadjusted list of movies by gross falls under the latter. If you disagree, I don't know what more I can say then.
    To me, that's just forcing old movies to be on the list. I believe that with so many more countries (some which alone have bigger populations than the US like China), movies today are a lot more popular. Especially when discussing something like inflation which doesn't really have a proper statistical methodology to it. IMO straight up tickets sold is the best pure judge and even that as some flaws as movies back in the days used to be in theaters for years. I can agree to disagree though and this is way off topic anyway
    Last edited by The Kid; 12-08-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I think this is VERY important, because it means that you can tell many different types of stories with Batman, and you can tell them from many different angles; it really helps break up the "hero chases villain, punches him out, and saves the day" template that is so easy to fall into with pop culture superheros who have been around for so many decades and who don't always seem to have many new stories left to tell (at least not within mainstream continuity).
    Well, let's look at Superman. Several of my favorite stories with Superman are where he DOESN'T simply get into a fist fight with the main bad guy. It's more interesting when there's more to the story than punching a bad guy.

It's more about good writing than what character is used.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    The vast majority of "good" Batman stories are him fighting villains. If anything, he barely tackles stuff like what the other commenter suggested.

To me, that's just forcing old movies to be on the list. I
    Np, I'm trying for more balance, Kid, while you're the one who wants them all to be from the past five years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Now Titans on the other hand…

People are laser focused on Superman but there’s a bunch of other characters who have risen and fallen hard as well.
    Titans does a lot better in tv than the comic anyway.

One thing that I think is interesting to note is that both characters went through periods where their once popular movies series began to fail. With Batman, the studio lucked out with Chris Nolan, and the reboot successfully brought him back as a cinematic powerhouse that hasn't left since. Superman on the other hand, has had a much more mixed and divisive track record with the attempts at rebooting him (both Superman Returns and Man of Steel), and I feel that's affected his general popularity. Particularly in an era when far more people are exposed to these characters via movies, TV and video games than the actual comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    One thing that I think is interesting to note is that both characters went through periods where their once popular movies series began to fail. With Batman, the studio lucked out with Chris Nolan, and the reboot successfully brought him back as a cinematic powerhouse that hasn't left since. Superman on the other hand, has had a much more mixed and divisive track record with the attempts at rebooting him (both Superman Returns and Man of Steel), and I feel that's affected his general popularity. Particularly in an era when far more people are exposed to these characters via movies, TV and video games than the actual comic books.
    Joel Schumacher almost derailed Batman's popularity with his movies excessive campiness, however. Fortunately, though not as popular as the rest of the trilogy, Batman Begins was still profitable.