Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I would agree with the last part with the exception of Spider-Man. IMO Spidey is the most popular superhero character on the planet. Not only is he a merchandising monster thatÂ’s ahead of everyone, his live action movies have a really high average box office gross, and now he also has by far the best selling superhero video game despite the Insomniac game only being on PlayStation while Arkham City was multi platform

But it really comes down to hits in outside media. Spider-Man being really popular for Marvel hasnÂ’t stopped their other characters from being huge as well. And it comes down to other Marvel characters successfully having been used well in outside media. Comics are basically irrelevant now and make no difference. Sure Batman sells 100k copies or whatever but thatÂ’s less people than who watched Shang-Chi on opening day. ItÂ’s all about outside media now and thatÂ’s where DC has been failing with their other characters. Even the hits like Aquaman and Wonder Woman, it feels like they could never take advantage of that success despite both of them having bigger movies than a Batman/Superman film
    According to Wiki of the highest grossing media franchise's to date

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...dia_franchises

Spiderman - 28.6 Billion to date [17.045 Billion]
    Batman - 27.7 Billion to date[merch sales - 21.329 Billion]
    Avengers - 15.3 Billion to date mostly thanks to box office and DVD sales [merch 6.928 billion
    Superman - 10.7 Billion [4.753 Billion]

Superman, Spiderman, ironman and batman are the only individual characters to make the list.

Ironman has earned 3.19Billion to date with 2. 886Billion coming from Box office and DVD/Home video sales.

The MCU has done wonders for Marvel in terms of popularity but aside from Iron man there's nothing to support the claim that Marvel has used their character better in outside media. They finally had a period of great movies following previous failures.

The same can be said for DC [Donner era and Nolan era]

Spiderman and Batman are pretty neck and neck
    Interesting to see the figures after their next movies and GK come out.

Aquaman has a sequel and an animated series
    WW had a sequel, had animated movies, is in an animated series and has a movie coming out
    JL and sS have games and animated movies

I don't see how some can claim that Dc isn't capitalising on the recent success of these characters/IP's.

Flash, Titans, Teen Titans, Batwoman, GL [they had an animated series and movies].

I would argue that up the NCU came to be Dc was better at promoting it's OP's in outside media.
    After the McU they are pretty much on par.

The vast number of projects and upcoming projects featuring characters that aren't part of the big 7 is testament to that.
    Last edited by dietrich; 12-04-2021 at 11:52 AM.

As for the subject of how and why, everyone here has kind of said it best. Batman's had a much more successful time in mass media than Superman post-Donner, and I think part of it is that Batman is a character who is somewhat more malleable than Superman. His power level makes him much easier to drop into just about any sort of story or setting, which is especially crucial in the realm of video games, an area Superman has consistently had very little luck in.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'd argue that if it had not been for the BATMAN T.V. show and Bat-Mania in 1966, there would not have been the Burton BATMAN in 1989 and the return of Bat-Mania. The first made the second possible. Even though there was a backlash against Bat-Mania in 1968 that stunk up the Dynamic Duo (Robin laid an egg), the generation that grew up on that earlier incarnation would then take their kids to see the new movie. It's that perfect synergy that gave 1989 Bat-Mania an appeal that spanned generations.
    The show unquestionably put Batman much more distinctively on the map than his comics, comic strip, and radio appearances couldn't do. He might have been more funny character than serious superhero, but there's no denying it made him a big deal.

Mind you, a lot of the same things are in Superman. I think kids would love to be Superman, too. The publisher just has lost the ability to key into that fantasy for kids.
    I have loved Superman just about as much as Batman for over a half century, despite their differences. I can't understand not wanting to be Supes myself.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

Avengers - 15.3 Billion to date mostly thanks to box office and DVD sales [merch 6.928 billion
    Now try it in real dollars and adjusted for population for fairness sake, mace.

Fantastic Member

Superman, Spiderman, ironman and batman are the only individual characters to make the list.
    Both Captain America and Thor are in fact on that list, at 2.55 and 2.28 billion respectively.

It says a lot that Wonder Woman doesn't make the list despite being the most famous superheroine of all time. Just goes to show how underutilized she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Aquaman does have that animated miniseries at least.
    Yeah and I hope kids enjoyed it, but it’s only three episodes, basically just a flash in the pan. Superman and Batman are getting two seasons worth of episodes with their new shows last I heard. WB should have committed to animated shows for all the major Leaguers.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah and I hope kids enjoyed it, but it’s only three episodes, basically just a flash in the pan. Superman and Batman are getting two seasons worth of episodes with their new shows last I heard. WB should have committed to animated shows for all the major Leaguers.
    Green Lantern at least had an animated series but I'm surprised Flash and Wonder Woman haven't gotten an animated series.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think it all comes down to which character they choose to invest in. Things like the Nolan movies proved that you can do "adult" with Batman in a way you can't with other characters. So that makes him marketable to creators who want the freedom to tell more realistic "adult" stories. Superman is mostly aliens. WW is mostly monsters. Those things can be fun but you can't tell "grown up" stories with them in the way you can with more down to Earth villains. When was the last time Superman stopped a serial killer? I think you can tell more mature stories with Superman and WW but it's a risk in a way that Batman isn't. And, if we're being honest, Batman has a lot more merchandise appeal than most other characters. Cars, suits, toys, etc. I do think there is something to the oversaturation argument. Batman figures collect dust on my local Wal-Mart's shelves same as they do everywhere else. No one asked for a White Knight Batman figure or a Jokerized Superman. I know I've been looking for a Vixen figure forever. But it's not a coincidence that most of the "mature" books are Bat-books.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think it all comes down to which character they choose to invest in. Things like the Nolan movies proved that you can do "adult" with Batman in a way you can't with other characters. So that makes him marketable to creators who want the freedom to tell more realistic "adult" stories. Superman is mostly aliens. WW is mostly monsters. Those things can be fun but you can't tell "grown up" stories with them in the way you can with more down to Earth villains. When was the last time Superman stopped a serial killer? I think you can tell more mature stories with Superman and WW but it's a risk in a way that Batman isn't. And, if we're being honest, Batman has a lot more merchandise appeal than most other characters. Cars, suits, toys, etc. I do think there is something to the oversaturation argument. Batman figures collect dust on my local Wal-Mart's shelves same as they do everywhere else. No one asked for a White Knight Batman figure or a Jokerized Superman. I know I've been looking for a Vixen figure forever. But it's not a coincidence that most of the "mature" books are Bat-books.
    I mean, there are epics and fantasy dramas that are very adult and successful despite those otherworldly elements. But it's probably just easier to do that with a mortal, human detective.

Ironman has earned 3.19Billion to date with 2. 886Billion coming from Box office and DVD/Home video sales.

The MCU has done wonders for Marvel in terms of popularity but aside from Iron man there's nothing to support the claim that Marvel has used their character better in outside media. They finally had a period of great movies following previous failures.

WW had a sequel, had animated movies, is in an animated series and has a movie coming out

I don't see how some can claim that Dc isn't capitalising on the recent success of these characters/IP's.

Flash, Titans, Teen Titans, Batwoman, GL [they had an animated series and movies].

I would argue that up the NCU came to be Dc was better at promoting it's OP's in outside media.

The vast number of projects and upcoming projects featuring characters that aren't part of the big 7 is testament to that.
    Wonder Woman hasn't had a solo tv series since the Lynda Carter show. She's only had two animated movies (released ten years apart) and DC notably had issues promoting her first live action film.

Aquaman has only had a three-part miniseries since his movie came out.

This is pretty miniscule, especially when you compare to the large amount of Batman and Batman-related content. Another Batman movie, a Batgirl movie, the Harley Quinn show, Batwoman, the Gotham Knights game, a new Batman animated series.

edited post.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-05-2021 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think it all comes down to which character they choose to invest in. Things like the Nolan movies proved that you can do "adult" with Batman in a way you can't with other characters. So that makes him marketable to creators who want the freedom to tell more realistic "adult" stories. Superman is mostly aliens. WW is mostly monsters. Those things can be fun but you can't tell "grown up" stories with them in the way you can with more down to Earth villains.
    I can’t agree with this at all. Feel like some of you guys have tunnel vision, or need to read more scifi/fantasy stories. Plenty of stories in those genres manage to deal with “relevant” topics and do so in a way that accumulates tons of fans: Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, The Witcher, Game of Thrones, The Expanse, Babylon 5, Star Trek, and those are just the most well known franchises.
    And, if we're being honest, Batman has a lot more merchandise appeal than most other characters. Cars, suits, toys, etc. I do think there is something to the oversaturation argument. Batman figures collect dust on my local Wal-Mart's shelves same as they do everywhere else. No one asked for a White Knight Batman figure or a Jokerized Superman. I know I've been looking for a Vixen figure forever. But it's not a coincidence that most of the "mature" books are Bat-books.
    Now this I totally agree with and I think this is getting closer to the heart of the matter. With Batman you can create dozens of toy variants where he’s wearing different suits or using different gadgets. Other heroes don’t have that same kind of potential for toys which is probably why they’ve doubled down so hard on Batman. But I think they’re underestimating how many more WW toys they could sell if she got a cartoon series, or how many more kids will buy a Superman t-shirt after MAWS comes out. DC Superhero Girls is a merchandise powerhouse I understand so the potential is there.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I just wanted to mention that the numbers from the Wikipedia page aren't complete, all those characters are much higher than the sum they're given. For instance they didn't include Batman's comic book sales, might not seem like much but with Batman (484m sold) he's missing a pretty big good amount of money. They listed Spider-Man's comic sales revenue, $1.074 billion with 387m sold and Superman's $1.341 billion with 600m sold. That means Batman has at least $1b in revenue not being accounted for.

They also only counted sales of Arkham Knight but not the other Arkham games, Lego Batman and all the other games he's had. Arkham Knight alone brought in $600m in revenue.

Not to mention they only accounted for the TV revenue from the 60s series and Batman 89 and tbf to Spider-Man I think they're missing some years from before 1999 so the list is far from accurate. Still very interesting tho, I'm shocked Pokemon was only created in 1996 and has almost sold more merchandise, $82.805 billion than Mickey Mouse has made in total since his 1928 debut, $82.9 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    As for the subject of how and why, everyone here has kind of said it best. Batman's had a much more successful time in mass media than Superman post-Donner, and I think part of it is that Batman is a character who is somewhat more malleable than Superman. His power level makes him much easier to drop into just about any sort of story or setting, which is especially crucial in the realm of video games, an area Superman has consistently had very little luck in.
    I think the Boy Scout personality the Donnerverse created (no, Clark in the comics at that time wasn't a carbon copy of Reeve's) worked for my generation. We weren't as jaded as later generations of kids became, so it worked exceedingly well. But that later shift, some crappy Superman films, and the ascendancy of Batman and similar superheroes hurt his image.

The irony is many critics still want that earlier version, so there is a disconnect. My feeling is, instead of picking either the vision of Donner or Snyder, Superman should be more of a composite of the two. Less angelic and more tougher, but with some of that Reeve magic to hold it together. The first and greatest superhero of them all deserves nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    Both Captain America and Thor are in fact on that list, at 2.55 and 2.28 billion respectively.

It says a lot that Wonder Woman doesn't make the list despite being the most famous superheroine of all time. Just goes to show how underutilized she is.
    Well, Cap and Thor had a 5 year headstart on Diana when it came to appearing in live action movies and both of them wrapped up their movie trilogies before or while she was making her solo movie debut. It's still weird they aren't giving her a BTAS/STAS-level animated show. That's the biggest drawback for her. Some appearances in video games like the upcoming Multiversus would help a bit but not to the extent a high quality animated series and spin-off media and merchandise from that show would.

Aquaman makes a little more sense as I think they are dragging their feet with him in multimedia because the movie owes a lot of its success to Jason Momoa, while the comics still have a blond, white dude. They are in a fix where they don't want to racebend the character entirely, and are also pushing another POC character holding the title. I'm not sure what their endgame for the franchise is TBH. Have Kaldur eventually replace Arthur entirely? Or end up with a Green Lantern situation with the both of them being co-leads? If the latter then that usually doesn't end up well for either character as we've seen with the fanbase split between Hal/John and Barry/Wally.