Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I'm surprised Ironman and Flash are so close to Superman.

I guess Wolverine is not as popular as he use to be.

I'm a little shocked about Black Widow. That has to be completely the MCU
    Iron Man and Widow have the MCU. People have turned on the Flash show but it was absolutely huge at its peak. Still the most popular CW superhero show I believe.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    That sounds very optimistic, i would find a billion quite surprising at this point. Especially looking at that only the extremely hyped Aquaman and the very different Joker managed to do that in the last decade of DC movies,, and that was without Covid, even Wonder Woman stayed quite a bit below the Billion if i remember correctly.
    I don't think we can go by the performance of other DC films...it's Batman we're talking about here. And the fact that one of the films which did cross a billion was a Batman-related film only proves my point.

The fact that WW failed to crack a billion doesn't prove anything about Batman's capability to do so (or the lack thereof).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Iron Man and Widow have the MCU. People have turned on the Flash show but it was absolutely huge at its peak. Still the most popular CW superhero show I believe.
    Flash also had the 90's show and gained quiet a bit of prominence among mainstream audiences through the DCAU. A generation has grown up watching Flash as a member of the Justice League. So he already had serious name recognition...the CW show of course built on that exponentially.

I daresay Flash is the most popular DC hero and biggest brand after the Trinity...and that's before his solo film is out!

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Confuzzled posted this video of superheroes by most searched over the course of the last 16 years in another thread

Initial thoughts: Spider-Man really is the king of superheroes when it comes to google, he's usually at #1 unless a new movie came out. Batman is right behind him and easily the top guy at DC. Superman actually still gets searched a lot despite WB not knowing how to handle him in film. MCU has boosted a number of characters the last decade
    That was pretty cool.

I think what surprised me the most was the enduring popularity of Superman to stay near the top even when he has nothing going on film or tv wise. (it's good to see he's still a frontrunner...wish it would translate over to comic sales)

I was also surprised by the Flash. I had no idea that he gained so much popularity in the mainstream.

Though I don't quite understand why Wolverine and the Hulk's popularity normally translates into strong comic sales, but Superman and particularly the Flash do not?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    That was pretty cool.

I think what surprised me the most was the enduring popularity of Superman to stay near the top even when he has nothing going on film or tv wise. (it's good to see he's still a frontrunner...wish it would translate over to comic sales)

I was also surprised by the Flash. I had no idea that he gained so much popularity in the mainstream.

Though I don't quite understand why Wolverine and the Hulk's popularity normally translates into strong comic sales, but Superman and particularly the Flash do not?
    Wolverine’s sales actually collapsed a while back due to overexposure. Hulk’s sales were middling to lousy post-Pak until Immortal Hulk. Flash gained a ton of popularity from the Flashpoint Paradox animated movie and the TV show + Manupal’s New 52 comic run on Barry had fantastic art that was well received. Superman varies, he usually sells in the middle range. Why doesn’t he sell better? Well a lot of his runs have been garbage, due to a combo of editorial mandates that were bad and just plain old weak storytelling. With Supes though it’s important to remember that even though we may not like what he’s in, he’s always in something. Smallville, the DCAU, that old Legion cartoon, some animated movies, Superman Returns, the DCEU, Injustice, DCUO, Superman & Lois, there’s always been at least something for him to show up in and remind the general audience that he exists.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Wolverine’s sales actually collapsed a while back due to overexposure. Hulk’s sales were middling to lousy post-Pak until Immortal Hulk. Flash gained a ton of popularity from the Flashpoint Paradox animated movie and the TV show + Manupal’s New 52 comic run on Barry had fantastic art that was well received. Superman varies, he usually sells in the middle range. Why doesn’t he sell better? Well a lot of his runs have been garbage, due to a combo of editorial mandates that were bad and just plain old weak storytelling. With Supes though it’s important to remember that even though we may not like what he’s in, he’s always in something. Smallville, the DCAU, that old Legion cartoon, some animated movies, Superman Returns, the DCEU, Injustice, DCUO, Superman & Lois, there’s always been at least something for him to show up in and remind the general audience that he exists.
    Superman also has multiple magazines, so even if they don't sell like they used to, he's still a bigger deal than a single-magazine character with similar sales.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Superman also has multiple magazines, so even if they don't sell like they used to, he's still a bigger deal than a single-magazine character with similar sales.
    I think this gets overlooked often.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Right. Even this gets overlooked regarding Batman sometimes.

White Privilege
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    White Privilege
    Superman is white

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Superman is white
    I believe Peter Parker is, too, on the other side. As well as numerous others of varying popularity within the whole industry.

Retired

Superman is Kryptonian--our outmoded Earthcentric observations are an optical illusion.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    White Privilege
    Pretty much.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Superman is Kryptonian--our outmoded Earthcentric observations are an optical illusion.
    Then people should have no problem if superman suddenly has purple eyes..and red teeth..Chomp!chomp!
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    It shouldn't.

We have had Superman appear in SOME book be it in mainstream DC or outside of DC.

In the 90s at one point you HAD to buy Action, Superman, Superman MOS and The Adventures of Superman-to get an entire story.

Right. Even this gets overlooked regarding Batman sometimes.
    In 2022 in terms of trades....

Batman has 57 alone (40 are just about him).

Superman has 10 (one is his son, 1 with Legion & the other is Superman/Batman) So we are looking at 7 about him.

Black Panther & Peter Parker have more.

Why doesn’t he sell better? Well a lot of his runs have been garbage, due to a combo of editorial mandates that were bad and just plain old weak storytelling.
    It does not matter how bad the content INSIDE the book maybe. Show me a store that will NOT order copies of Superman starring Clark Kent.

That is where the LIMITED White Privilege comes in. Because only certain white characters get that ability to get shelf space.

Limited because that is not the case with others like Aquaman or Carol Danvers. In SPITE of a billion dollar movie. Or Dr Strange or Antman DESPITE a hit movie.

It's like success is questioned when it comes to certain folks.
    Along with what is NOT selling-how many of us can go to Target and have our PICK of those Batman & Superman Mcfarlane figures? Yet can't do that with the Power Rangers from 1993 or Marvel Legends figures NOT named Eternals.

But yet they get shelf space and we will see tons of videos going off about unsold books or toys starring Ms Marvel or John Stewart or Wonder Woman.