Default Is Doctor Fate a real doctor if so what of? If not why is he called Doctor Fate?

I've been wondering this since a I saw a scene of him and Harley where he was asked to help give with a pregnant character. It was a funny scene as Harley questioned his credentials and by when he could not answer what kind of doctor he was she called him Mr. Fate. I've been left wondering ever since what kind of Doctor he is and how the title applies to him. Especially since Fate is Nabu using the helmet wearers as vessels if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    I've been wondering this since a I saw a scene of him and Harley where he was asked to help give with a pregnant character. It was a funny scene as Harley questioned his credentials and by when he could not answer what kind of doctor he was she called him Mr. Fate. I've been left wondering ever since what kind of Doctor he is and how the title applies to him. Especially since Fate is Nabu using the helmet wearers as vessels if I'm not mistaken.
    I know Khalid Nassour the current Dr. Fate and Kent Nelson's grand nephew is a Medical Student.

As for Kent Nelson it would appear according to internet research that he was actually a Physician during WW2 and afterwards an Archeologist. So I would assume yes he's a doctor but probably not a medical one, assuming he has a doctorate/PHD. If someone has better evidence please post because I'm basing this on wikis.
    Last edited by sifighter; 01-02-2022 at 06:40 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

He's a doctor because he solves magical problems...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He's a doctor because he solves magical problems...
    Wouldn't that make him a occultist and/or an detective for the magic and problem parts respectively? Not seeing the doctor element there

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Kent Nelson became a doctor during World War 2 and was also an archaologist. He and his wife Inza ended up with an extended lifespan due to magic. Inza also held the role of Doctor Fate for a time and she was likewise both a nurse and an archaologist.

Khalid Nassour was a medical student when he got chosen by Nabu (literally phrased as "Heal the world") On at least one occasion, he used a combination of magic and medicine to perform a thorough check-up on someone.

Basically, Doctor Fate didn't start out with any ties to the medical field and I think Frontier is correct about why he was called Doctor Fate at the time.

Generally, Nabu isn't in the driver seat. He used to be waaaaay back in the day, but nowadays, he just guides and shares his powers with his would-be hosts, and the few times he assumes control over them, it is not with their permission.

Kent Nelson is a doctor(MD treating patients) at "Weatherby Hospital" in early appearances.

Astonishing Member

What is Doctor Who a doctor of? (Everything. Specifically, his degree is in "Cosmic Science", a I recall.) Doctor Fate is a metaphysicist. He changes the structure of the universe. So there, Harleen Quinzell, with your puny M.D. degree!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Love Doctor, duh.

Ph.D. in sexiness especially with Pierce Brosnan playing him in the films

According to his first JSA meeting, Dr Fate was originally not a human being, but was created in his adult form by the elder gods. Kent Nelson, archaeology, medical talents and all, was a retcon.

So that being said, he was probably originally called Doctor Fate just because it sounded cool. Much like Doctor Occult before him!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Wouldn't that make him a occultist and/or an detective for the magic and problem parts respectively? Not seeing the doctor element there
    I guess it depends how you look at it, because one could view what he does as fixing/healing/surgically removing magical ailments or maladies from the world.