Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    In my mind they resurrect her and she finally ditches the egg, strutting before the QC in mutant couture looking fabulous.
    They send her to the creche but have someone watching her closely.
    My flag is bacon.

Astonishing Member

In my mind they resurrect her and she finally ditches the egg, strutting before the QC in mutant couture looking fabulous.
    How does one define mutant couture in terms of fashion as something seperated from either super hero outfits, the rest of humanity and it's vast cultural history or all the fantasy and sci-fi cultures which allready exist in the Marvel Universe?

Or do you mean naked and covered in orange clone pod fluids?

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    How does one define mutant couture in terms of fashion as something seperated from either super hero outfits, the rest of humanity and it's vast cultural history or all the fantasy and sci-fi cultures which allready exist in the Marvel Universe?

Eyeboy's peacock outfit? The gowns worn by Frenzy and Tempo?
    My flag is bacon.

The Jumbo Carnation collection.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

The Jumbo Carnation collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    Eyeboy's peacock outfit? The gowns worn by Frenzy and Tempo?
    So a slapped together looking collection of random outfits with no consistent or unifying art direction, theme, styles, combination of clothes, choice of material, patterns, cuts, colors, assessories, etc., which are made by a singular designer and yet somehow supposed to express the shared cultural art style of a whole fictional group of people?
    I don't think that is much basis to proclaim mutants as having a unique "couture" that stands seperated from what ever you can find at random fashion shows or events of the rest of humanity... with the exception of those who intigrated their powers actively into their outfits like Jean, Storm, Iceman or Sunspot but they were the minority.

And that's before we consider that these outfits were not only those of a specific elite of mutants, but also only designed for a singular big dinner party, rather than showcasing established identities of fashion for these people.

Meanwhile the vast majority of mutants on Krakoa seems to wear the same outfits as the rest of humanity, while the mutants of Arrako clearly are big Conan the Barbarian fans.

PS: They really need to diversify their choice of designers, beyond a four armed guy who's only claim to fame was dying and being a mutant.
    Last edited by Grunty; 12-05-2021 at 06:49 PM.

So a slapped together looking collection of random outfits with no consistent or unifying art direction, theme, styles, combination of clothes, choice of material, patterns, cuts, colors, assessories, etc., which are made by a singular designer and yet somehow supposed to express the shared cultural art style of a whole fictional group of people?
    I don't think that is much basis to proclaim mutants as having a unique "couture" that stands seperated from what ever you can find at random fashion shows or events of the rest of humanity... with the exception of those who intigrated their powers actively into their outfits like Jean, Storm, Iceman or Sunspot but they were the minority.

And that's before we consider that these outfits were not only those of a specific elite of mutants, but also only designed for a singular big dinner party, rather than showcasing established identities of fashion for these people.

Meanwhile the vast majority of mutants on Krakoa seems to wear the same outfits as the rest of humanity, while the mutants of Arrako clearly are big Conan the Barbarian fans.

PS: They really need to diversify their choice of designers, beyond a four armed guy who's only claim to fame was dying and being a mutant.
    Nah, I had the vibe of Storm's gala look in mind, how it incorporated her mutant powers. That's a distinctive feature of mutant couture to me.
    Nanny emerging from a broken egg gown would be fab.

Astonishing Member

Nah, I had the vibe of Storm's gala look in mind, how it incorporated her mutant powers. That's a distinctive feature of mutant couture to me.
    Nanny emerging from a broken egg gown would be fab.
    By that classification of "mutant couture" only a small handfull of them actualy managed to show it, with Iceman and Mystique being the leads for having their entire outfits created from their powers (and doing so for everday occasion)

What are Nanny's powers anyway in that case? Wasn't that never made clear?

By that classification of "mutant couture" only a small handfull of them actualy managed to show it, with Iceman and Mystique being the leads for having their entire outfits created from their powers (and doing so for everday occasion)

What are Nanny's powers anyway in that case? Wasn't that never made clear?
    She's a low-level telepath but I like to think there's more to her should she ever break free of the egg. I've been low-key obsessed with Nanny for a long time. She was a villainous murderer, no doubt about that. But she also suffered psychological trauma due to being locked in the egg by, we just learned, her husband. Her desire to rescue mutant babies is intriguing and I'd like to see what that looked like if she were ever healed from the trauma.

Ultimate Member

She's a low-level telepath but I like to think there's more to her should she ever break free of the egg. I've been low-key obsessed with Nanny for a long time. She was a villainous murderer, no doubt about that. But she also suffered psychological trauma due to being locked in the egg by, we just learned, her husband. Her desire to rescue mutant babies is intriguing and I'd like to see what that looked like if she were ever healed from the trauma.
    I'm perplexed by why the X-peeps telepaths haven't weaned Peter away from her yet, as it's her telepathic influence that's preventing him from mentally maturing into the adult his body has become. Either allow his mind to begin to mature, or revert him to a child's body and allow him to progress both physically and mentally at the same time. Both options would require separating him from Nanny, 'though, unless *she* was also given a do-over, given the sort of psychic counseling and perhaps physical repair required (since her original body was locked in that cyborg egg, but her new body should be free of that, and she now only hides within an egg-shaped body armor for psychological reasons, I assume). Allowing them to develop / heal *together* might indeed be the best option, for her, particularly (since she'd still get to 'mother' the growing Peter).

Krakoa was the perfect opportunity for both of these characters to evolve beyond what we saw in their introduction, both physically and mentally, but really, it feels like it's been glossed over, like with so many other characters who've inexplicably chosen to not change, when given the opportunity to gain control of their powers and their bodies and their lives.

Meanwhile Chuck's all walking around on new legs, thinking, "I have no idea what's wrong with you people. I hated that damn chair!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'm perplexed by why the X-peeps telepaths haven't weaned Peter away from her yet, as it's her telepathic influence that's preventing him from mentally maturing into the adult his body has become. Either allow his mind to begin to mature, or revert him to a child's body and allow him to progress both physically and mentally at the same time. Both options would require separating him from Nanny, 'though, unless *she* was also given a do-over, given the sort of psychic counseling and perhaps physical repair required (since her original body was locked in that cyborg egg, but her new body should be free of that, and she now only hides within an egg-shaped body armor for psychological reasons, I assume). Allowing them to develop / heal *together* might indeed be the best option, for her, particularly (since she'd still get to 'mother' the growing Peter).

Krakoa was the perfect opportunity for both of these characters to evolve beyond what we saw in their introduction, both physically and mentally, but really, it feels like it's been glossed over, like with so many other characters who've inexplicably chosen to not change, when given the opportunity to gain control of their powers and their bodies and their lives.

Meanwhile Chuck's all walking around on new legs, thinking, "I have no idea what's wrong with you people. I hated that damn chair!"
    So, so much potential with the two of them. All very well said.

Astonishing Member

You mean physical trauma from being locked in the egg?

Because the mental trauma would likely need years of continous appearances and slow change to be a reasonable transition into someone who could even attempt to seek amendments for her deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

It has been indicated in several titles (New Mutants, Way of X and X-men come to mind) that the civilian aspect of a nation and society has been heavily ignored or disregarded in Xavier, Magneto and Moira X's design of Krakoa as being of little importance in their planning.

Because it apparently doesn't matter how stable, creative, productive or psycholigcal healthy mutant society and culture will look like in the future, as long as it's their future alone, which they will dominate by having beaten the "humans".

The way the three designed their nation at the point of HOX/POX, looks like they actualy made it so that almost the entire population is actualy redundant (what ever intentional or not). Being seemingly just there to fill out numbers and potentialy produce usefully powered offsprings. As if they were a problem that needed to be resolved, instead of the foundation for their society and culture going forth.

It doesn't help that with everything being provided to the civilian population without their participation in almost everything and an over reliance on a handfull of powerfull individuals for protection and economy, krakoan society is basicly a pyramid standing on it's top.
    Which is also where most of the attention seems to go. The powerfull "demi-gods", the "usefull (powered) ones" and the "soldiers"

As a result aspects of society like mental health, raising children and providing activity for them, or people having purpose in their society beyond existing, have been neglected, possibly because they weren't considered vital to "winning".
    "Why should we waste our telepath on curing minds, when they can read the minds of foreign politicians and scientist instead?"

As such current Xavier might even be consider it more "usefull" to leave damaged or moraly deplored individuals in such state as such as long as they can put their skills and powers to use for "victory". With the Hellions themself being a showcase of that. Thrown into a combat squad, rather than taken to remote and controlled environments to help them overcome their damaged states.