View Poll Results: What's your opinion on modern Peggy Carter?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was already a fan of the OG Peggy and I'm glad the MCU has made her more relevant

6 10.34%
  • The MCU made me a fan of Peggy and I'm happy to see more of her

9 15.52%
  • I'm indifferent about Peggy

27 46.55%
  • Peggy is unnecessary and steals the spotlight from other characters

16 27.59%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's your opinion on modern Peggy Carter?

It's a big year for Peggy Carter, from being a main focus in the What If...? animated series, to getting a new solo comic, to her heavily-rumored and highly likely live action debut as Captain Carter in the upcoming Doctor Strange film. It's clear that Marvel Studios loves their version of the character and will continue finding new ways to push her. How do you feel about the new prominence she's had in both film and comics since 2011?
    Last edited by Dipter; 03-14-2022 at 12:27 AM.

I'm not the biggest fan of how Sharon has been treated in light of Peggy's popularity. It'd be fine if Marvel acted as if there were room for both. And while Sharon fairs a bit better in comics than being turned into a villain in the MCU, she's not pushed or promoted as much as Peggy. It's a sad state of affairs.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I think it's a bit much to push her instead of all the other deserving characters that have been around for years and have the potential to be much bigger than they are.

But I also don't really care because at the end of the day it seems like a fad. Even if her popularity takes off on films and tv, I don't see it translating to comics. She isn't really new or unique in the comic book genre. It will likely eventually fade into memory like most books have over the years.

So for now I'm apathetic towards it all, but if she's pushed heavily like Carol was then I'd be irritated.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I'm not the biggest fan of how Sharon has been treated in light of Peggy's popularity. It'd be fine if Marvel acted as if there were room for both. And while Sharon fairs a bit better in comics than being turned into a villain in the MCU, she's not pushed or promoted as much as Peggy. It's a sad state of affairs.
    They ARE acting as if there's room for both. Didn't you read the last Captain America ongoing? Sharon was a major supporting character throughout. Peggy was only brought in towards the end having somehow been resurrected.

Peggy's solo book is an alternate universe mini, and personally I'm glad to see books like that and The Union which are set in the UK.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I definitely liked the Peggy Carter character in the MCU. I greatly enjoyed the first season of her series. The second, not so much. I have no doubt the actress, Hayley Atwell, had a lot to do with this. However, I don't care much for the forced push recently.

Peace

Niffleheim

The first time I saw her was in a mini tie-in for "Original Sins". I don't mind seeing her but I can't say she ever crosses my mind in characters I want to see.
    Last edited by Tofali; 03-13-2022 at 08:14 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They ARE acting as if there's room for both. Didn't you read the last Captain America ongoing? Sharon was a major supporting character throughout. Peggy was only brought in towards the end having somehow been resurrected.

Peggy's solo book is an alternate universe mini, and personally I'm glad to see books like that and The Union which are set in the UK.
    Sharon has always been a support character in that book and I didn't say different. I said she fairs better in comics, but isn't pushed like Peggy. As in publicly promoted. If some would never read Cap, they'd never know Sharon was even in it.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member

Exactly this.

That first issue was probably one of the best first issues of any book I've read in awhile.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

That's the thing.

She isn't Peggy Carter.

She's Hayley Atwell.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    That's the thing.

She isn't Peggy Carter.

She's Hayley Atwell.
    The one in Captain Carter, absolutely. Because that's the portrayal she's based on. I mean, that only makes sense. IDK why they would base it around the 616 version since that wasn't the version who appeared in the MCU.

That said, is this really any different than how Tony Stark is basically RDJ now? And is that really that bad?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Much like "Spider-Gwen" the character comes with a glass ceiling they can never get through. Much like Spider-Gwen's glass ceiling is the actual Gwen Stacy and a Peter Parker that is Spider-Man Captain Carter's comes in the form of Peggy Carter and a living Steve Rogers who is Captain America.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

is captain carter in the 616 world now? Just asking.

I like Hayley Atwell in the MCU and that version of Peggy...but pushing her in the comics feels really unnecessary.

I liked Peggy back in the 90s when she worked with the Avengers, but due to the sliding timeline, her death made sense. I think bringing her back was a mistake and I don't even recall if there was a point to her return. I have no plans to buy the Captain Carter comic, plus there is already a version of her in the 616 from the last volume of Exiles (she's forgotten about just like the Valkyrie from that run who was also re-introduced as another character). I have no problem with Hayley Atwell's performance in the MCU, but I don't think she should be brought in as Captain Britain. Oh... and I also thing Sharon Carter should never have returned from her original death. She is boring to me.

in a word: YAWN

I'd personally rather see Monica Rambeau as a Captain once again before this dreck crosses into the comics.

even the animated What If? episodes presented a one-note character at best, whose appeal is limited to being a clever take on someone/something else.