Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default How Much of a Completist Are You?

I recently made the decision to go through the entire Golden Age. Well, okay, only the big three: Human Torhc, Namor, and Captain America. also, just because he's there from the beginning, The Angel.

If I were a total completist, I would do all the other Golden Age heroes as well, but that would take years just to get through the Golden Age!

As it is, I've compiled my checklist, and, doing one comic book a day from November 5th this year, it will take me 10 months and 10 days, completing next Sept. 15th!

R - Pictures.jpgR - Pictures (1).jpg

Then it's on to the complete Silver Age!

Anyone else ever tried anything like this?
    Last edited by Slimybug; 12-03-2021 at 10:27 AM.

Well yes. They are some golden age comics collected in omnibus. You can acquire some golden age comics by loads pretty easily this way.
    Then you can read more than one a day, 2-3 comics/chapters a day is fairely possible. But I agree that golden age comics have a lot of talking.

Incredible Member

I’m reading them all on Marvel Unlimited.

I own EVERYTHING Ghost rider( blaze and ketch) have ever appeared in (even cameos) comic wise and 98% of all ghost rider merchandise ever made.

Massive one.
    Im even trying to watch all of the Disney/Pixar shorts in order I’m so dedicated.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBlazed21 View Post
    I own EVERYTHING Ghost rider( blaze and ketch) have ever appeared in (even cameos) comic wise and 98% of all ghost rider merchandise ever made.
    This is how I work except I don’t get cameos. I get appearance’s. I had a good run of every Iron Man comic, but Katrina took care of that. Still I’m working at it. I’m trying to grab all of Tony’s appearances in other comics as well. It’s going to take a lot to get it all back, but I am constantly chipping away at it. Congrats on your Ghost Rider collection. It sounds amazing and the merchandise must be cold blooded.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I'm not a completionist at all. I'll drop a title in the middle of a run, middle of a story, if I get bored with it.

I won't pay for entertainment that doesn't entertain me. I refuse to reward publishers for crap content and low effort, so unless the title in question only ran for a couple years I probably have a hole in the collection. The only exception I can think of is Invincible; I own every floppy (even the team up with The Tick) and the full collection of trades.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I'm a completist only for writers.

If I love a writer I get they're entire oeuvre - from indies to the big two.

I like seeing the evolution of a writer.

I'd say that I'm a completionist in so much as that I will get something if it is true to the interpretation I like most of a character.
    For example, Stephen Strange, Danny Rand, Luke Cage, Jessica Drew and Marc Spector, if they're written in a character fitting to what I've already collected.

But throwing Dr. Strange, Iron Fist, Power Man, Spider-Woman or Moon Knight in a book won't guarantee that I'll pick it up.

There was a time that I would do that.
    But these days, you're as likely to get 'Writer X's slice-of-life superhero that just happens to have the name of your favorite hero. They might even look similar.

So, I'll read a sample of something if the names match up (Iron Fist-Danny Rand, for example) to see if the characterization sounds right.
    If it does, I'll keep reading.
    If not, I ignore it and wait for their next book.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I prefer my comics with talking, but I also want to see the art in detail, so it takes me quite some time to get through stuff.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I try to be complete in some things but recognize I can't do everything. At this point, I've read every Daredevil issue (and own them in some form). On the other hand, I recently read all of Captain America up through Heroes Reborn. I read the Golden Age stuff on Marvel Unlimited, but let's just say I was grateful there wasn't more there. I also skipped stories here and there that I didn't think would impact continuity. I took a broad approach to including things where I even included stories that would impact the continuity of the stories that actually mattered, even if those stories themselves have no long-lasting legacy (so, I pretty much had to read every issue of the Gruenwald run because there were ongoing B and C plots that would continue even in stand alone stories).
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I’m reading everything.

I'm Marvel exclusive, but outside of certain media properties I read everything I can get my hands on.

I once had an extensive, complete run of multiple Marvel books but I gave up trying to read and collect everything many years ago. I sold almost my entire collection of print monthlies about 8 years ago and switched to buying random issues or short runs of titles if I liked the character, the writer, and/or the artist. About 5 years ago I even stopped buying those books in print format and switched to digital. Even with characters that I love (such as Doctor Strange), if the characterization in the story feels wrong, I don't bother to buy the book. A different writer will eventually come along eventually. There's no sense in buying books that I don't actually enjoy reading just to have a 'complete' collection. I still pick up random books for titles I don't normally buy if I like the writer or artist.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Astonishing Member

Broke out of that mindset long ago. It's best to just collect what you enjoy. The collector mentality is pretty close to hoarder mentality if you feel you must buy something to complete a run.