Thread: Endless Winter

Default Endless Winter

Was it any good?

I ignored it entirely when it was published, but I'm finishing up Terrifics and noticed that some of the characters from that run appear in this "event".

Always Rakzo

Nope.

It was entirely pointless. I even forgot it existed until now.

It's filler to bridge Death Metal and Future State. Though the Teen Titans issue was the origin of the ice powered character Summer Zahid, who appears in the Teen Titans Academy title.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

But did it have the character "Endless Winter" in the story?
    She was actually the brain of Delores Winters, which had been replaced in her original body by the Ultra-Humanite's brain, but then Delores Winters' brain was later placed in another woman's body.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    She was actually the brain of Delores Winters, which had been replaced in her original body by the Ultra-Humanite's brain, but then Delores Winters' brain was later placed in another woman's body.
    ONLY comic book fans accept that sentence as entirely plausible.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I have the Flash and Aquaman issues and I couldn't tell you what happens in either of them.... so probably not a great endorsement!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I found it to be pretty entertaining, albeit inconsequential and ultimately forgettable. I love the idea of Swamp Thing, Black Adam and Hippolyta having history, although it hasn't been followed up on. I thought maybe it would have some legs when they put 2/3 on the Justice League, but I know better than to expect anything from Bendis.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

it's a fun lil simple story. it was nice to have a relatively low stakes event storyline following Dark Nights Metal, Doomsday Clock, Death Metal and all the other big multiverse everything-in-reality-is-at-risk type stories (even tho I also liked 2 out of the 3 titles I mentioned). I liked that it highlighted DC ancient history with Black Adam, Hippolyta, Swamp Thing, Viking Prince, and The Frost King, I'm a sucker for ancient DC stuff (still praying on an epic ancient African story one day). it also reintroduced Black Lightning's daughters back into canon as his daughters (and younger) which i very much appreciated. nothing super groundbreaking but I liked it.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    it's a fun lil simple story. it was nice to have a relatively low stakes event storyline following Dark Nights Metal, Doomsday Clock, Death Metal and all the other big multiverse everything-in-reality-is-at-risk type stories (even tho I also liked 2 out of the 3 titles I mentioned). I liked that it highlighted DC ancient history with Black Adam, Hippolyta, Swamp Thing, Viking Prince, and The Frost King, I'm a sucker for ancient DC stuff (still praying on an epic ancient African story one day). it also reintroduced Black Lightning's daughters back into canon as his daughters (and younger) which i very much appreciated. nothing super groundbreaking but I liked it.
    Serious question: What ancient African characters does DC have? Is Other History Of The DC Universe good (it is already ordered anyway)?

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Serious question: What ancient African characters does DC have? Is Other History Of The DC Universe good (it is already ordered anyway)?
    The Other History of the DC Universe was really good but thats not the same kinda thing I'm talking about.

as for what characters does DC have in ancient Africa, well, they can pull from many directions. they have Vixen's lineage to pull from, Dr. Mist, they have the Hawks "original" lives in Egypt and now (due to Venditti's run) DC can pull from any point in ancient African history with them; they have Black Adam, Doctor Fate, Gnomon, The Constant from the Immortal Men, some of the canon African gods could be repurposed (i.e Urzkataga, the Orishas, Anansi, etc.) and Black Manta just revealed a connection between ancient Atlantis and the continent. we can also pull from any number of modern black heroes and explore their ancestors, especially metas considering we know that metahuman lineages stretch back to the dawn of humanity, so that puts ancestoral analogs for people like Black Lightning and Amazing Man (who's metagene abilities seems pretty closely tied to his bloodline) on the table. those are just people that could be of the continent, then there are characters like Vandal Savage and other immortal or magical characters who could have made their way to the continent at any point in their long lives. hell, the Green Lanterns and other alien civilizations or institutions predate Earth, any number of familiar looking faces could've found their way onto Earth and ended up on the continent. it makes about as much sense, if not more, than landing in the US in modern times. they'll just need to have the story focus on one of Vixen's ancestors or a time displaced Vixen for marketing sake and just work from there; all you really need is Vixen, Black Adam, Dr. Mist, and the Hawks to get the ball rolling. it wouldn't be that hard, you just have to have a passing familiarity with ancient DC history and access to the internet to get a grasp of African history.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I didn't know about Black Manta and have to check it out now. Otherwise I believe I'm aging out of reading DC. Aside from a mini here and there. Also the time I had for reading was reduced dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I didn't know about Black Manta and have to check it out now. Otherwise I believe I'm aging out of reading DC. Aside from a mini here and there. Also the time I had for reading was reduced dramatically.
    yeah the Black Manta stuff is a super new development, and it's still developing, so it's understandable if you missed. it's also understandable that you missed a lot of these other choices and jdeas considering DC hasn't done much with any of them. Africa is a pretty big narrative blindspot at DC.

currently following:

I have the HC in my Christmas cart over at Amazon. It seemed a fun read. However, now, I may wait to see if it'll come out in cheaper TPB.

Peace