Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Glad I picked this up. A fun issue with a little depth to it. Like all the quirky heroes. A little surprised by the ending but that makes the book interesting. I’m in for all of it.

I liked it, feel very badly for Gangbuster but it was cool to see him again.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Even if it IS mind control, it's still garbage writing. It's not like PG isn't DC's go to for characters to be mind controlled. If you want to make PG a villain, (a bad idea IMHO), at least be original and give her a legit reason. I WAS going to get this come the weekend-----mostly FOR her appearance, but now I may just wait and see what the second issue holds before doing that. What about PG don't they get? First we had faux PG in the nu52 who acted completely unlike PG had ever done in the past, now we seem to have another version again acting out of character.
    To be fair, without a JSA to pal around with and no Helena Wayne to be her best friend, Karen is kind of rudderless in DC until she shows up in a Super book. Loathe though I am to admit it, I understand why she's kind of MIA right now.

I was kind of hoping this would help reintroduce her, but the monkey's paw has proven to be in effect. Real shame. Rest of the book's great.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Interesting read but the characterization of RT and PG just seems so off...I found it distracting. The title's on my LCS pull list so I'll go ahead and see it through to the end; if it wasn't, I probably wouldn't continue.

Astonishing Member

I'm glad I picked this up. I was just asking myself why they didn't just use the JLI, but this cast was interesting.

The first issue was great, not just some generic thing with a generic fight.

Really setting up an interesting plot! I'm all in and excited to see where this goes! Glad to have it on my pull list.

This looks great!
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Second issue is out!

Whoa this series is going for the deep feels.

Totally unique and interesting take not focused on freak of the week battles but rather telling a unique story!

Loved issue #2 more then the first.

I would npot recommende this to someone with depression.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

It's all comedy with low hanging fruit, a cast chosen at utter random and a plot that really doesn't speak to the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

It's all comedy with low hanging fruit, a cast chosen at utter random and a plot that really doesn't speak to the characters.
    I've read that the cast feels more like they're starring in the Office than actually sounding like themselves.

All comedy?

Its got a deep undertone of depression and in their which probably outweighs the comedy.

Also we're 33% into the series...

Clearly the pg will be taking over and to what purpose the series hasnt yet revealed.

This has a more tom king miracle man feel then just its all comedy take.

Personally it feels like a unique series that wanted to try something different...

Will this be revolutionary? I dunno, but hopefully this leads to larger stories with pg and red among others. At the very least its trying something different then just a generic superhero story.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I would npot recommende this to someone with depression.
    I have bipolar depression and it's a better thing for me to read or otherwise experience something that reflects my condition than not. It's one of the reasons I'm such a big Tom King fan.

People don't talk enough about depression and there's less of a stigma about it than there used to be but there's a stigma nonetheless.

And depression can be pretty lonesome. As with all forms of representation I think it's helpful to be able to see oneself in a story. Now can we please have some bald superheroes please?

I recently directed a play about suicide and depression, one that was not about suicide prevention or the management of depression but was instead about understanding suicide and the failures of the psychiatric industry to heal. We received an incredible number of letters and other expressions of gratitude from depressed or suicidal people. Finally, a play for them they said. We received similar gratitude from non-depressed people that love depressed people or that have lost someone to suicide because it helped them to understand. We did not include trigger warnings or suicide prevention hotlines. We strictly avoided them. It is an intense, intense play (4.48 Psychosis) by a playwright that killed herself just after writing it. We received zero complaints, zero communications that it was bad for any of them and we had only two people walk out over the course of the run, actually a record for our theatre.

So, I don't know. Maybe you should recommend it to those with depression. We tend to have a pretty good sense of humor about it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    All comedy?

Its got a deep undertone of depression and in their which probably outweighs the comedy.

Also we're 33% into the series...

Clearly the pg will be taking over and to what purpose the series hasnt yet revealed.

This has a more tom king miracle man feel then just its all comedy take.

Personally it feels like a unique series that wanted to try something different...

Will this be revolutionary? I dunno, but hopefully this leads to larger stories with pg and red among others. At the very least its trying something different then just a generic superhero story.
    Yeah, except that comedy?

This isn't "look how exploitive the gig industry is, where workers get paid shit while at the whim of their company and the people hiring them..."

It's "Look how pathetic these workers are," by framing Minuteman as a desperate loser dependent on knock-off drugs for his super powers, and no one respects him, or virtually anyone else in this series.

The undertone of depression is 'look at these losers', not 'look what they suffer through to be heroes'

Yeah, except that comedy?

This isn't "look how exploitive the gig industry is, where workers get paid shit while at the whim of their company and the people hiring them..."

It's "Look how pathetic these workers are," by framing Minuteman as a desperate loser dependent on knock-off drugs for his super powers, and no one respects him, or virtually anyone else in this series.

The undertone of depression is 'look at these losers', not 'look what they suffer through to be heroes'
    I mean red was clearly supportive.

The story isnt done. The setup isnt even done

Also minute man may represent the height of pathetic

But plenty other c list heroes were not represented that way in these first 2 issues

Are you being bit biased? Or reading with blinders on

You way over simplify