Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Green Lantern #9 Preview

Green Lantern #9 Preview
    Writer: Geoffrey Thorne
    Artist: Marco Santucci and Tom Raney

Metron as a teacher? Yeah...explains some things.

this looks reqlly cool but I really wish Throne explained what's going on with John's new powers before throwing him into this cosmic showdown. they kinda sorta hint that it's his suppressed Guardian powers but I'd much prefer if he just gave us a straight answer so we can know what the basis of these powers are, what he can and can't do (i guess we can figure that out in the battle), why they're awakening now, etc. I'm getting tired of writers burying the lead and dragging out reveals like this. I hope this issue of the next tells us something.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    this looks reqlly cool but I really wish Throne explained what's going on with John's new powers before throwing him into this cosmic showdown. they kinda sorta hint that it's his suppressed Guardian powers but I'd much prefer if he just gave us a straight answer so we can know what the basis of these powers are, what he can and can't do (i guess we can figure that out in the battle), why they're awakening now, etc. I'm getting tired of writers burying the lead and dragging out reveals like this. I hope this issue of the next tells us something.
    Isn’t the inherent problem here though that John doesn’t remember and that the ones who do are frozen in time on OA? Like unless the New Gods or this guy inform John of what’s up with him at this current juncture he’s not exactly going to have a lot of options to find out.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Isn’t the inherent problem here though that John doesn’t remember and that the ones who do are frozen in time on OA? Like unless the New Gods or this guy inform John of what’s up with him at this current juncture he’s not exactly going to have a lot of options to find out.
    the problem is we're 9 issues deep and we're at the point the powers are in full effect and the only information we know about it is a snippet of a flashback. realistically, the power more or less came out of nowhere and we don't know what they are really. i feel like they coulda plotted it out to where we at least know something or something is revealed to John. it's story there are a million workarounds to inform us while pacing toward the reveal. coulda been something as simple as having more than just the one flashback. hell Thorne has this New God who clearly knows what's going on, I don't really see the point of having him there if not to provide context. is he just there to tease stuff to come? I just hope we can get past the teasing phase and actually delivering on things going into issue 9.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    the problem is we're 9 issues deep and we're at the point the powers are in full effect and the only information we know about it is a snippet of a flashback. realistically, the power more or less came out of nowhere and we don't know what they are really. i feel like they coulda plotted it out to where we at least know something or something is revealed to John. it's story there are a million workarounds to inform us while pacing toward the reveal. coulda been something as simple as having more than just the one flashback. hell Thorne has this New God who clearly knows what's going on, I don't really see the point of having him there if not to provide context. is he just there to tease stuff to come? I just hope we can get past the teasing phase and actually delivering on things going into issue 9.
    =)

Full effect? Knows what's going on?

Interesting hypotheses.

Next week should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    =)

Full effect? Knows what's going on?

Interesting hypotheses.

Next week should be fun.
    Looking forward to the next issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Metron as a teacher? Yeah...explains some things.
    While he looks a bit different and is alive (being dead never stopped New Gods) he is not a new character and was created by Kirby. If I remember right he was Metron's student gone bad in Kirby's stories as well.

Anyway, issue is out and its interesting. It looks like we almost know whats up, we are just missing couple of details to get the full picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Laimbeer View Post
    I took a look at today's issue. Here are some reasons why the Geoffery Thorne Green Lantern run is a complete creative failure.

First of all, I know some John Stewart people are probably going to get mad at me, but if anything, they should be demanding better for the character than this. And since we're on the subject, let's talk about him. John Stewart does not need power upgrades. Power upgrades do not make a compelling character. He has no villains, no love interest, no life, no real friends (please do not post panels of little quipping scenes with Barry Allen, that doesn't mean anything), little personality, and I'm sad to see that this run does basically nothing to address the real problems the character has for a 50 year old character that is, no less, probably DC's most popular African American superhero. It's just John Stewart in a slow, boring story that does nothing to further him as a character, aside from some upgrade.

And let's talk about the upgrade. WTF!? You've been teasing this upgrade for 9 issues, and what? The upgrade is that he has Green Lantern powers. Big freaking deal. If it's more than that (and it should be) you need to show that from jump after leading people along with this boring story for so long.

Then there's the fact that, to this day, it's falsely advertised as a John Stewart story. I don't care what the writer says, this is as much about Jo and maybe even Teen Lantern as it is about John Stewart. The proof is in the pudding. We're 9 issues in. Readers can see this for themselves. The choice of focus on little loved characters can also be criticized when you know Green Lantern fans would rather see other characters. Now, the writer would probably say, "I'm not writing it for those fans," and I think that would be foolish. You should be writing content that fans will like. If you don't care what fans think then don't write for a property like Green Lantern and just do your own thing.

Then there's the fact we're 9 issues in and we still don't really know what the hell this story is about.

Then there's that the book looks like ass about 80 percent of the time, but I actually think this is one of the smaller problems it has. And I think Marco Santucci did a good job in this latest issue.

I think the biggest problem is that this title is poorly paced, poorly plotted, boring, the two stories don't connect well, and if they do, it shouldn't take till the end of the story for this to be apparent, and it's supposed to be some big deal story, but it just feels like "who cares?" It's also a big lost opportunity for John Stewart because it doesn't really address any of the issues that the character needs addressing.
    lol Desh, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Laimbeer View Post
    I took a look at today's issue. Here are some reasons why the Geoffery Thorne Green Lantern run is a complete creative failure.

First of all, I know some John Stewart people are probably going to get mad at me, but if anything, they should be demanding better for the character than this. And since we're on the subject, let's talk about him. John Stewart does not need power upgrades. Power upgrades do not make a compelling character. He has no villains, no love interest, no life, no real friends (please do not post panels of little quipping scenes with Barry Allen, that doesn't mean anything), little personality, and I'm sad to see that this run does basically nothing to address the real problems the character has for a 50 year old character that is, no less, probably DC's most popular African American superhero. It's just John Stewart in a slow, boring story that does nothing to further him as a character, aside from some upgrade.

And let's talk about the upgrade. WTF!? You've been teasing this upgrade for 9 issues, and what? The upgrade is that he has Green Lantern powers. Big freaking deal. If it's more than that (and it should be) you need to show that from jump after leading people along with this boring story for so long.

Then there's the fact that, to this day, it's falsely advertised as a John Stewart story. I don't care what the writer says, this is as much about Jo and maybe even Teen Lantern as it is about John Stewart. The proof is in the pudding. We're 9 issues in. Readers can see this for themselves. The choice of focus on little loved characters can also be criticized when you know Green Lantern fans would rather see other characters. Now, the writer would probably say, "I'm not writing it for those fans," and I think that would be foolish. You should be writing content that fans will like. If you don't care what fans think then don't write for a property like Green Lantern and just do your own thing.

Then there's the fact we're 9 issues in and we still don't really know what the hell this story is about.

Then there's that the book looks like ass about 80 percent of the time, but I actually think this is one of the smaller problems it has. And I think Marco Santucci did a good job in this latest issue.

I think the biggest problem is that this title is poorly paced, poorly plotted, boring, the two stories don't connect well, and if they do, it shouldn't take till the end of the story for this to be apparent, and it's supposed to be some big deal story, but it just feels like "who cares?" It's also a big lost opportunity for John Stewart because it doesn't really address any of the issues that the character needs addressing.
    First of all...

Second...

It's a story. It's far from over.

So is this Esak an established character? Because I googled and I found a character from the 80's who was from New Genesis and then became a Darkseid minion only for later to killed off by Orion. It doesn't bother me or anything, I actually appreciate deep cuts like that make me have to do wiki diving.

Other then that I am enjoying this series so far. I really liked all the cool John Stewart god stuff going on and I like that Jo is finally getting to the bottom of this whole mystery that's been brewing since apparently the first issue....no matter how crazy it is getting. Especially that ending, a lot to take in with that crazy last page.

Loved seeing Jo in the fantasy setting as well, reminded me of scenes out of Far Sector and the power armor look weirdly gave me steven universe/anime vibes which again makes sense considering Jo.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    So is this Esak an established character? Because I googled and I found a character from the 80's who was from New Genesis and then became a Darkseid minion only for later to killed off by Orion. It doesn't bother me or anything, I actually appreciate deep cuts like that make me have to do wiki diving.

Other then that I am enjoying this series so far. I really liked all the cool John Stewart god stuff going on and I like that Jo is finally getting to the bottom of this whole mystery that's been brewing since apparently the first issue....no matter how crazy it is getting. Especially that ending, a lot to take in with that crazy last page.

Loved seeing Jo in the fantasy setting as well, reminded me of scenes out of Far Sector and the power armor look weirdly gave me steven universe/anime vibes which again makes sense considering Jo.
    I agree with everything here. I also loved the artwork from both artists.

That would be interesting if Esak is already an established character.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I agree with everything here. I also loved the artwork from both artists.

That would be interesting if Esak is already an established character.
    This is what I found, a really short Wiki entry about some guy from New Genesis for works for Darkseid.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Esak_(New_Earth)
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Wait, so spoilers:
    the Green Light is what, the Guardians passing off magic from the Starheart as part of the spectrum to hide their hypocrisy?
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    lol Desh, is that you?
    No that is NOT him.

He has no villains, no love interest, no life, no real friends
    And you can thank the PREVIOUS folk before Redjack for that.

That has been an issue since 1993. An issue Redjack was NOT hired to do.

If you don't care what fans think then don't write for a property like Green Lantern and just do your own thing.
    So where were you when Jason Rusch, Static, Cyborg, Black Panther & Duke Thomas got put in the hands of writers who did not care for them?

The battery is blown up somehow and John and various lanterns got sent elsewhere as they were going to investigate.

Meanwhile Jo and Teen Lantern are left behind trying to figure out what happened and WHO did it.

John in another part of the universe is trying to find folks and protect new friends.

What is confusing?